T-Mobile Smartphone Hotspot

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
How does T-Mobile differentiate regular data usage from tethering? The Unlimited Nationwide 4G plan gives you unlimited data, but the hotspot feature that comes with it is limited to 500MB.

Is there a way to trick your phone, presumably with a 3rd party tethering app, that gives you unlimited hotspot data?

How does T-Mobile differentiate regular data usage from tethering? The Unlimited Nationwide 4G plan gives you unlimited data, but the hotspot feature that comes with it is limited to 500MB.

Is there a way to trick your phone, presumably with a 3rd party tethering app, that gives you unlimited hotspot data?

Yeah, just use a 3rd party tethering app and they won't be able to tell the difference between phone and tethering data. There's Foxfi, PdaNet, and Easy WiFi tether if you're not rooted. Then Wireless tether for root users and Open Garden if you're rooted. Or you can root your phone and replace/modify the native tethering in order to not report usage. I just had a friend drop his tethering plan on his T-Mobile Note 2 and use Wireless Tether for root users and he's happy with it.

I've been tethering on Verizon for the last 3 years without issue with one of the above apps and native tethering in other ROMs.

I am on the Nationwide 4G Unlimited plan and I don't have a a tethering limit. Is this something new?

NationWide 4G unlimited never allowed tethering when it was released, recently T-mobile included some....

as for using it ... With my G.nex I tethered daily, never got caught or counted against, but then again it wasnt their phone to start with, need to try with having a S4 on CM now....

Odd, I have a Windows Phone 7 (Lumia 710) on T-Mobile that will do WiFi sharing and it doesn't differentiate between regular data usage and data sharing.

I use the mobile hotspot that was included with my Galaxy S III constantly and have never had to pay anything extra compared to before I got the GS3. However, if I try to use the USB tethering portion of the hotspot I get a notice telling me that I need to add the "Smartphone Mobile HotSpot service" in order to use that feature.

Back