Texas Police May Soon Need Warrants to Read Emails

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to what Texas Governor Rick Perry does regarding the newly passed bill requiring police to get a warrant to read citizen’s emails, Texas may be getting the best protection in the country regarding email searches. The bill disregards the age of the emails, giving an extra layer of protection for Texans. The bill is on the Governor’s desk awaiting his signature.

Earlier this week, Texas legislature passed a bill, HB 2268, requiring state police to get a warrant based on probable cause before reading emails, regardless of how old they are.

I just fired off a email to Perry encouraging him to sign this into law. So everyone relax I'm on it! :p

Seriously though, I love my state.

They should make it broader and make it require a warrant to sniff ALL data, not just email. But this is a good start.

I just fired off a email to Perry encouraging him to sign this into law. So everyone relax I'm on it! :p

Seriously though, I love my state.

Yea, I love texas other than the some times shitty change in weather. But otherwise I wouldnt really care to move anywhere else. Healthy job market, cheap houses, low cost of living.

Yea, I love texas other than the some times shitty change in weather. But otherwise I wouldnt really care to move anywhere else. Healthy job market, cheap houses, low cost of living.

The hot sticky ass weather does indeed suck balls. Thank god for central air. :)

Would like to see it be a nationwide thing rather than just one state being intelligent.

pointless when they partner with another state and use those resources to read that email that isnot located in texas, however I do like the concept just realize it is too easy to get around.

About damn time, this is a no brainer. If there is a legitimate reason to read the emails, the judge will approve it.

I love this state, I'm hoping Governor Perry recognizes common sense and signs this into law and I hope it leads to laws like this across the country.

pointless when they partner with another state and use those resources to read that email that isnot located in texas, however I do like the concept just realize it is too easy to get around.

Good thing Texas has some big data centres. Definitely a smart move to start moving mail servers there. Then again, they can just sniff the email packets at the client end. But if you live there and your mail server is there then guess you'd be safe.

On the other hand, how big of a deal is it to get a warrant? Do they even have to warn you that they're getting a warrant or can they just get a warrant and do it right away?

Back