NVidia 760 Now or wait for the 860?

JoseJones

Gawd
I need some advice - should I go ahead and get the NVidia 760 when it comes out in the next couple weeks or would I be wise to wait until next year to get the next generation 860? My max budget is $200 to $250 tops.

I've really been waiting for Maxwell, which was originally suppose to come out now but, got pushed back to next year. The 700 series is just a re-vamped 600 series.

I've been using a USED 4870 1g, DX 10.1, 1080
http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-418.shtml

I game some and work with Adobe CS6 & want to make videos and DVD's at 1080.

My system:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
MSI: 790FX-GD70
RAM: 8g Mushkin 1600
HD: WD Blue 500g sata 2 at 3g/ps
GPU: HIS 4870 1g
PSU: Seasonic X-750w
Case: Antec One Illusion (w/4 fans)
CD ROM: Liteon 24x: iHAS324
Monitor: ASUS VS229H (IPS)

Yeah dude, go for the 760, unless you want to wait another year. I just picked up one of the few 780 superclocked versions off newegg yesterday, i'm so stoked.

Yeah, the only reason I hesitate is because the 700 series is just a re-vamped 600 series when I've really been waiting for Maxwell. I'm just trying to make sure I get my moneys worth. Surely the 860 would be more future proof - I'll probably be stuck with that 760 for several years.

That 760 should last you at least 2 years. You can pretty much always skip a generation, but yeah I know what you mean with waiting for maxwell, that'll be a big milestone,

its up to you, but imo I would go for the 760

If you want a 760, just grab a used gtx680 now. You can pick them up for about $300 - $325 used (market is being flooded, plus the 770 is now priced at $400). 760ti will probably release about $299 so for the same price, youll have something faster (even if its an "older" series). Thatll hold you over better than waiting for the 760.

it comes down to you, if you are happy with what you have now... sure you can wait, if not then its time to upgrade.

I'm still considering the 760 depending on the price. A 660 averages around $200 to $250 ish

But, I'm wondering if the 800 series would be able to handle 4k resolution because it doesn't appear that the 760 would, but I could be wrong?

Not that I'm going to run out to buy a 4k monitor - I'm not, but I don't want to be denied being able to play a game because of it. That is starting to happen to me now - I got Crisis 3 on Origin & it wouldn't let me play the game cause it said my GPU (4870) couldn't play it. I'd like the ability to play 4k at least on lower settings.

Last edited:
Why not just grab the 660ti now? It's probably the 760 anyway.

The 760 is apparently a re-branded 670 with probably a let bit better performance. At $300 the 660 Ti wouldn't be worth the purchase so long as the 760 stays in the same price range. If that is the case the difference between the 660 Ti and 670 > 760 could be a pretty significant difference. With it right around the corner there's no reason not to just wait and see. Worse that can happen is the 660 Ti drops to a more reasonable $250 or less price range that the card deserves.

I'm still considering the 760 depending on the price. A 660 averages around $200 to $250 ish

But, I'm wondering if the 800 series would be able to handle 4k resolution because it doesn't appear that the 760 would, but I could be wrong?

Not that I'm going to run out to buy a 4k monitor - I'm not, but I don't want to be denied being able to play a game because of it. That is starting to happen to me now - I got Crisis 3 on Steam & it wouldn't let me play the game cause it said my GPU (4870) couldn't play it. I'd like the ability to play 4k at least on lower settings.

You have a max budget of 200-250 for you video card but you're looking for a 4k monitor?
You do realize that a 32" 4K monitor is going to cost a LOT of money. It's going to be in the 2k+ price range.
Not only that, but you don't have a hope in hell running 4k resolution on a card like 760ti (which is going to be 299 btw). That resolution is effectively 4 1080p screens. 3 1080p screen I surround currently require at least 2 of those cards to operate effectively, or a much higher end card like 780 or Titan.

Don't concern yourself with 4K for now. It's not going to be cost effective. It will be very much for early adopters with deep pockets for the first couple years. Get what you can afford right now and be happy.
By the way, if the card you have right now won't run games you already own, why would you want to wait another year for the 800 series to launch? Not to mention, lower end cards trickle down later, so Maxwell card at 250 is probably 18 months away.
Do yourself a huge favour and buy it now. 6 and 7 series cards are pretty fucking stout, deite the hype about the forthcoming chips.

Not that I'm going to run out to buy a 4k monitor - I'm not, but I don't want to be denied being able to play a game because of it. That is starting to happen to me now - I got Crisis 3 on Steam & it wouldn't let me play the game cause it said my GPU (4870) couldn't play it. I'd like the ability to play 4k at least on lower settings.
Crysis 3 is not even available on Steam. and whats the point in waiting and waiting? the present is passing you by while you wait for some card in the future that you hope will be future proof. keep on waiting and the rest of your system will be severally outdated anyway.

I need some advice - should I go ahead and get the NVidia 760 when it comes out in the next couple weeks or would I be wise to wait until next year to get the next generation 860?

When you ask if you should buy now or wait a year, the answer is always wait a year. Even if it's a year later.

When you ask if you should buy now or wait a year, the answer is always wait a year. Even if it's a year later.

That's the most ridiculous answer I've ever read, and probably some of the worst advice I've ever read.

If you can't enjoy your games right now, then upgrade right now. Waiting a couple weeks for the next best thing makes sense. Waiting a whole year or more is just a waste of time.
Live for today.

A future proof card will never exist. No matter how good next years chips will be, the year after will have something even better, and the year after that something even better.

What I tell my customers: buy what you need when you need it. In computers, "what's next" is always just one "what's next" away. You have no idea how Mexwell will perform. Think of all the people who waited for years to grab a pentium 4 only to find that it was a rubbish product? The same with AMD bulldozer. Nvidia talks up Maxwell like it's the second coming, but we really have no idea how it will perform. What you DO know is how the current cards will perform. Do the current cards offer you the power you need at a price you can afford?

The truth is that Nvidia will not release a card that will be anything other than 20-30% faster than the previous generation. So you can expect the 760ti to be 20-30% faster than the 660ti. The 860ti will be 20-30% faster than that, and the 960ti will be 20-30% faster than that.

Maxwell WILL NOT represent a 150% boost over the Previous generation, even IF the architecture could actually create that performance, Nvidia would package the SKUs in a way that they hamper that performance, and in-turn create an 880 GPU that shows a 20-30% performance over the previous generation.

Last edited:
I am wondering if I would even get the full potential of a 700 series GPU in my current system. See any potential problems?

My system:

MB: MSI 790FX-GD70

Everything looks fine, you might see better performance with a better CPU; but I think you'll still see improvements with a 700 series GPU vs a 600 series GPU.

Since the 700 series seems to be higher clocked 600 series cards, I think you might be better off finding a deal on a 600 series card or waiting until the next round of GPUs comes out.

I woukd wait for the 960 Ti boost OC edition, I hear its gonna rock!

Seriously though, with a $250 budget you wont be able to afford the 760Ti at launch. The best card at that price would be a 7950 with a healthy OC.

For clarity, I should add that I plan on keeping whatever new GPU I get (be it a 760, 860, 960 or whatever) and put it in my next new system - possible a Haswell i7 or the next CPU after that, Broadwell. I'm just waiting for sata 4, DDR4 etc., i.e. the next generation stuff to come out.

I am wondering if I would even get the full potential of a 700 series GPU in my current system. See any potential problems?

My system:

MB: MSI 790FX-GD70

...Seriously though, with a $250 budget you wont be able to afford the 760Ti at launch. The best card at that price would be a 7950 with a healthy OC.

^^+1

You could also get a brand new 7870 XT (or LE) Tahiti card. Find a good deal on a 7950. Or, do as others posted, save a few more dollars up and get a used 670 or better yet, a 680. Its not future proofing, but it will last quite awhile! Hell, my 6950 still plays awesomely on my 1080p screen. I suspect that it too will stand the test of time for a bit longer, which is why I am hesitant on upgrading.

For clarity, I should add that I plan on keeping whatever new GPU I get (be it a 760, 860, 960 or whatever) and put it in my next new system - possible a Haswell i7 or the next CPU after that, Broadwell. I'm just waiting for sata 4, DDR4 etc., i.e. the next generation stuff to come out.
you are just doing it wrong. you keep waiting on all this future stuff instead of getting a good gpu now and then maybe upgrading your cpu a little later. until we have confirmed released dates and facts, stop daydreaming about future products and letting the present slip by.

Chances are that DDR4 will at first offer speeds that can already be accomplished by DDR3.

Take for instance, when DDR3 launched, it clocked between 800-1333 MHz, DDR2 could already do those timings with less latency. It was only until 1600 and 1866 MHz became standard that DDR3 showed significant gain over DDR2 (clockspeeds that old G41, P45, and X49 boards can't actually support).

immagine all of those people who purchased those expensive 775 systems with DDR3 1066, only to learn that DDR2 was faster at the same clockspeed, and that the higher-speed DDR3 won't work on their platform? Do you really want to go through that?

Don't chase the horizon.

I doesn't pay to be an early adopter, and it doesn't pay to wait for the next best thing.
Enjoy what's available today. You'll eventually get another new system and be able to experience those technologies.

Sata4 and DDR4 are not necessary to have a fast computer. Be excited for what they will offer, but why deprive yourself until then? It really seems silly to hold off if your only reason is to wait for the next generation.

S[H]ady;1039933955 said:
I doesn't pay to be an early adopter, and it doesn't pay to wait for the next best thing.
Enjoy what's available today. You'll eventually get another new system and be able to experience those technologies.

Sata4 and DDR4 are not necessary to have a fast computer. Be excited for what they will offer, but why deprive yourself until then? It really seems silly to hold off if your only reason is to wait for the next generation.

Also now the memory manufactures are putting the squeeze on DDR3 prices to force out DDR4, and it's going to be crazy expensive when released.
16GB kits could go for $200+ and 32GB kits for $300+. He should buy want he needs now before the cost outweighs the benefits.
DDR4 will be on Haswell-E first, so a cheaper mainstream platform with DDR4 will not come until 2015 i.e. Skylake.

i personally think u would waaaaaay better off cross firing ur card, find one for super cheap, and get the 800 series nxt year.

you are just doing it wrong. you keep waiting on all this future stuff instead of getting a good gpu now and then maybe upgrading your cpu a little later. until we have confirmed released dates and facts, stop daydreaming about future products and letting the present slip by.

...Don't chase the horizon.

S[H]ady;1039933955 said:
Enjoy what's available today. You'll eventually get another new system and be able to experience those technologies. [...] Be excited for what they will offer, but why deprive yourself until then?
So much wisdom here, and yet so many more will have to learn the hard way, I'm afraid. I certainly did. XP

The savings from buying the cheaper card now could actually offset or negate the loss you would take on replacing your card even every year. In other words, just buy what's in your budget, and look forward to replacing it when the shiny stuff comes out again. =D

So, it really sounds like I just need to get the 760. If I do, I can wait until 2015 when Skylake comes out to upgrade the rest of my system and wait until a year or so after that to upgrade my GPU again so I won't need to do it all at the same time - hopefully the 760 will work fine with a Skylake system?

My current GPU: HIS 4870 1g only has DX 10.1

By 2015 DirectX 12 might be out - or will it ever come out?

Last edited:
i personally think u would waaaaaay better off cross firing ur card, find one for super cheap, and get the 800 series nxt year.

I disagree. I've read that the Radeon 48xx series doesn't perform well in crossfire and they've not released any improvements for performance or fixed bugs for 48xx crossfire in the past couple of years.

Even though a used 4870 would only cost $75, I think it would be a waste and a major headache to go that route.

So, it really sounds like I just need to get the 760. If I do, I can wait until 2015 when Skylake comes out to upgrade the rest of my system and wait until a year or so after that to upgrade my GPU again so I won't need to do it all at the same time - hopefully the 760 will work fine with a Skylake system?

My current GPU: HIS 4870 1g only has DX 10.1

By 2015 DirectX 12 might be out - or will it ever come out?

I think you are thinking this way too much. Don't worry so much about the future tech, and enjoy what's currently available. Make slow upgrades as time goes by, sell off your old stuff you upgrade, and that way you keep costs minimal. Relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy.

I think you are thinking this way too much. Don't worry so much about the future tech, and enjoy what's currently available. Make slow upgrades as time goes by, sell off your old stuff you upgrade, and that way you keep costs minimal. Relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy.

This guy pretty much has the right idea. Just enjoy what you can get right now. The future of technology looks bright but don't think about it too much, enjoy what you can currently get your hands on right now.

With that said, I think you should wait until the 760 ti comes out and upgrade to that. I personally have a 6870 and been wanting to upgrade it sometime this summer. I figure it gonna be either the 760 ti or the 770. I wasn't sure which yet since it is rumored that the 760 ti has the same performance as a gtx 670 maybe a little better but only for 300 bucks. If not I could just buy the 770 for 400 and not have to worry about another upgrade in a long time. Just my two cents.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm leaning towards a 760 due to budget issues right now, however, I will consider a 760ti but, the price will have to be really good. My budget is $200 to $250 ish right now.

Will the 760ti really be worth the extra cashola?

The 660's average between $200 to $250 while the 660ti's average between $300 to $350.

660ti

Are the ti's really worth that extra $100?

If I hold out for a good Christmas deal, maybe I could get a 770 for $350 ish?

670 averages between $350 to $425 ish.

Last edited:
I think the 660 and 660Ti are both very overpriced.

Consider this;
Radeon 7950 Boost $280 (includes 4 games)
at stock, performs similar or better than a 660 Ti. Overclocked, it's comperable to a GTX 670
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/27/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_at_high_aa_settings_review/1
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/05/31/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-2gb-review/1 (review with newer drivers and games)

So, in my opinion, the 660 Ti is not worth $300-$350.
The current rebates I see bring the net cost down to around $280, which is much better than what the 660Ti has been priced at. But, from a performance standpoint, it really needs to be cheaper than the 7950. Somewhere around $230-$250 would make it much more attractive.

I think most folks here realize that AMD is extremely competitive <$400 and gets you much more performance per dollar than a Geforce.

Last edited:
J Macker, I will check into a Radeon GPU at similar prices.

I'm currently liking the new NVidia GPU's specifically because I like how they're finally dissipating the heat out the rear of the computer case, rather than inside the case making everything else heat up:

"... Twice as effective as the thermal grease applied to GTX 680 GPUs, this seemingly small change allows us to push the GTX 780 harder and faster, and to reduce fan speeds when idle."

"... Finally, to remove the collected and dissipated heat, a rear-mounted fan constructed from an acoustic-dampening material blows it out through the exhaust at the rear of the computer&#8217;s chassis, and away from the card&#8217;s components.

"... exterior is comprised of cast aluminum, which dissipates heat more effectively than plastic. The fan, meanwhile, is surrounded by an injection-molded material that dissipates heat and reduces fan noise"

From here and here

I'm hoping that the 760 & 760ti will utilize that as well??? Plus, noise reduction.

Are the Radeon GPU's doing the same?

Last edited:
Understand that the heat dissipation out of the rear of the card is for the reference models only (got this off of tomshardware site on their 770 review), and their are very few reference models that will be available.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm leaning towards a 760 due to budget issues right now, however, I will consider a 760ti but, the price will have to be really good. My budget is $200 to $250 ish right now.

Will the 760ti really be worth the extra cashola?

The 660's average between $200 to $250 while the 660ti's average between $300 to $350.

660ti

Are the ti's really worth that extra $100?

If I hold out for a good Christmas deal, maybe I could get a 770 for $350 ish?

670 averages between $350 to $425 ish.

You might hold out until Christmas? You are way too deep into speculating now. Damn just buy something now, you current card is very low end, no sense dealing with it another 6 months.

There are good cards in the $200 range and they won't devalue much when newer cards come out. Sure new things will be a bit better, but it's the same architecture and tech as the current gen.

Also 660s exhaust heat out the rear with reference coolers.

Back