Universal Music Demands $42k For Gangnam Parody Video

HardOCP News

[H] News
Universal music wants four mayors in Denmark to cough up $42,000 by tomorrow for a license to use Gangnam Style in their parody videos. :eek:

“It is clear that we have in mind that there are local elections in a minute,” said Universal’s Dennis Ploug in a statement. “We have given them a payment deadline of Friday, but if they do not pay before then it becomes a real action for infringement, and so the amount will be completely different,” Ploug concludes.

Maybe this will help raise awareness of the incredibly over-reaching and abusive copyright trolls that are the MPAA/RIAA.

How does this differ from the other 2 million parody videos out there of people dancing or making fun of the song?

How does this differ from the other 2 million parody videos out there of people dancing or making fun of the song?

Because Universal thinks they can shake down people that they think have money and will fold to their demands.

Because Universal thinks they can shake down people that they think have money and will fold to their demands.

You can't really blame them. It's worked many, many times before. Hell, their whole business model used to essentially be legal extortion of artists. "Can't pay back your studio fees? Oh, that's OK we'll just take your copyrights in payment."

So I guess Psy did sell out after all, I didn't think he made much from it... well other than getting his 15 minutes.

Maybe this will help raise awareness of the incredibly over-reaching and abusive copyright trolls that are the MPAA/RIAA.
Bad move by Universal. Previously the RIAA/MPAA had avoided going after politicians, police, and government organizations who it caught pirating.

Congrats Universal, pissing off politicians is a way to go to... get rid of organizations like RIAA and IFPI, relaxing copyright laws etc etc.

I have no idea how the Denmark legal system works, but I hope this action is as overreaching as it would be in the US.

MPAA/RIAA - biting the hand that feeds them.

I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen.

It is odd how they just pick and choose though. Maybe they wanted to wait till the whole thing dies down. More parody videos to sue for = more profit.

Fair Use isn't the same in Denmark as it is in the US.
Does a US company need to follow it's own country's laws in other countries like fair use?

Of course the argument might say a company doesn't have ties to any particular country, even though they pay tax in that country, and are considered citizens in that country with respect to them being able to donate money except they can donate an unlimited amount.

I hope Universal and the RIAA take this so far that not only Denmark but all of Europe declares war on them...actual war, with firebombings and everything. ;) I'm just kidding about the last part, but it would be nice if a tipping point arrived soon in this vicious circus of copyright extremism.

Does a US company need to follow it's own country's laws in other countries like fair use?

Of course the argument might say a company doesn't have ties to any particular country, even though they pay tax in that country, and are considered citizens in that country with respect to them being able to donate money except they can donate an unlimited amount.

A company must follow the laws of any nation it is currently doing business in. The issue happened in Denmark so those laws apply not US law.

I hope Universal and the RIAA take this so far that not only Denmark but all of Europe declares war on them...actual war, with firebombings and everything. ;) I'm just kidding about the last part, but it would be nice if a tipping point arrived soon in this vicious circus of copyright extremism.

As an American, I wouldn't lift a finger if the EU could declare war on the *AA's and wipe them off the map. In fact, they should start a kickstarter.

As an American, I wouldn't lift a finger if the EU could declare war on the *AA's and wipe them off the map. In fact, they should start a kickstarter.

As an American, I'm not so sure we ever lift a finger...but regardless, stopping the the EU from pillaging the RIAA would probably be a pretty poor place to start. ;)

Something is rotten in Denmark... :rolleyes:

As an American, I'm not so sure we ever lift a finger...but regardless, stopping the the EU from pillaging the RIAA would probably be a pretty poor place to start. ;)

As an American I can proudly say I lift a finger... every time I click my mouse! :D

Back