Kickstarter RC Car That Drives and Flies

The military applications for this would be awesome.

Dubstep, and hover cars. What a wonderful time to be alive!

Fantastic idea and I'm sure the military will be watching this sort of thing......now if they were able to make this capable of navigating on the surface of water as well....full house.

That's pretty clever. The real ingenuity is in those wheel/rotor mechanisms. Great idea to have the hubless wheel and flexible subframe.
guinness-brilliant.jpeg

Meh, not as much fun as racing off road, and flying off a ramp on the course at 40-70MPH, and then there are the nitro powered monsters.

Great gimmick for teens and kids though.

Meh, not as much fun as racing off road, and flying off a ramp on the course at 40-70MPH, and then there are the nitro powered monsters.

Great gimmick for teens and kids though.

This seems more accessible than what you're talking about and if I'm going hardcore, I'm going to be in the damn thing.

Pretty sweet. I have to wonder why they felt the need to show the same 3D model 800 times in the video, though.

Pretty sweet. I have to wonder why they felt the need to show the same 3D model 800 times in the video, though.
Ha, yeah... Not the best promo video, but it looks to be a pretty small operation, if not a one-man show. So we can cut him a little slack ;)

Burnout..... 3D model.... burnout...... 3D model....

15 minutes on a charge? How long is the charge?

My dad bought an RC helicopter that was 10 minutes of flight time off of a 3.5hr charge. Seems ridiculous to me.

My dad bought an RC helicopter that was 10 minutes of flight time off of a 3.5hr charge. Seems ridiculous to me.

And that is why battery powered R/C is lame.

Gimme the same thing that can run for multiple hours on fuel and I might be interested.

15 mins on a charge is actually very impressive for RC helicoptors / airplanes.

From my limited RC knowledge, I'd bet good money the ESC's are only 20A and consequently each motor is 20A max. For the 3S lipo he listed (11.1v), that's about 200w for each motor and 80A total. That's a 40C discharge rate, which is definitely doable on a good quality lipo. However, that also means the battery would be discharged in <7 mins. He must be factoring in 80% time on the ground and less power draw to get the advertised "15 minute" time.

Charge times can easily & safely be achieved in 30 mins without measurable decreased lifespan on the Lipo. That could be achieved with a 4C charge rate (8.8A for a 2200 lipo), and a basic 10A charger can be purchased for $50-$70.

Man, if this had been around 27 years ago, I wouldn't have gotten that Tamiya Hornet. Cool idea.

Man, if this had been around 27 years ago, I wouldn't have gotten that Tamiya Hornet. Cool idea.

When I was racing 1:10 electric buggies, carbon fiber chassis were the norm (a few Mardave Marauders would still show up, or a plastic tub Agressor), and power recovery speed controllers were being introduced (had a Tamiya Astute, and Lazer ZX..still in the cupboard back home), I was able to get a good 30MPH out of my last car, but there were people at the nationals that would blow past 50MPH.

Now it's insane speeds for electric 1:10 tarmac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXLtPGrTGQ

Or offroad Nitro/gas 1:8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlg3751lQhc

I kind of miss it.

Ha, yeah... Not the best promo video, but it looks to be a pretty small operation, if not a one-man show. So we can cut him a little slack ;)

Burnout..... 3D model.... burnout...... 3D model....

Actually, this came to mind. If the motors can be reversed, it can do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brTlRzMAdNw

Including the ability to drive upside down.

It takes a lot of concentration to fly an RC helicopter so five minutes is actually how long a human can last. Any more than that and you get fatigue and risk crashing. You *might* be able to last 10 minutes if you were only casually flying around. 15 minutes on a heli is an endurance for both the heli and the pilot. When flying the heli, you're focused on flying 100%, you can't even turn your head, any lapse in judgment, even briefly, would result in you taking home the helicopter in pieces.

Charge times can easily & safely be achieved in 30 mins without measurable decreased lifespan on the Lipo. That could be achieved with a 4C charge rate (8.8A for a 2200 lipo), and a basic 10A charger can be purchased for $50-$70.

Actually, that's 2C, easily achievable by any lipo. 1C = 1 hour, 2C = 30 minutes, 4c = 15 minutes and so forth.

If you want longer flight times, you bring extra batteries and use the break to get the tension out of your shoulders before the next flight.

I want one of these that I can drive to work. What a great idea! Run into a gapers block? No problem, hover right over and drive on. :p

Back