Apple Applies For Patent On "Devices With Gaze Detection Capabilities"

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, doesn't Samsung already have something like this? I could have sworn Samsung already uses gaze detection for pausing and scrolling its phones.

A method for using a portable electronic device having an accelerometer and gaze detection circuitry, the method comprising: with the accelerometer, determining whether a measured acceleration level for the portable electronic device has exceeded a given threshold value; and when it has been determined that the acceleration level of the portable electronic device has exceeded the given threshold value, disabling the gaze detection circuitry.

Samsung has a gaze detection-related patent, but they don't really describe the same thing. Samsung's patent describes using gaze detection as a means of scaling video compression. Apple's filing has more to do with changing the hardware state and interface in relation to input from the accelerometer.

They may have other patent filings related to the basic technology, but I only searched for those that include the term "gaze detection".

more wars and i am sure both companies will be doing thier best to "innovate" :rolleyes: over the other to try and get patents.

Boy, I don't want to hurt their feelings, but they haven't seen modern aircraft. By modern, I mean 30 years old. Not only can they tell what you're looking at, they can use accelerometers, windspeed, ground speed, air density, etc to aim a gun to strike what you're looking at.

Boy, I don't want to hurt their feelings, but they haven't seen modern aircraft. By modern, I mean 30 years old. Not only can they tell what you're looking at, they can use accelerometers, windspeed, ground speed, air density, etc to aim a gun to strike what you're looking at.

The fact that something has already been invented has never stopped crApple from trying to patent things before. Why should it now?

What is laughably called a "justice system" is set up in such a way that patents are impossibly expensive to defend against for all except the largest of companies. The only people who make money are the scumbag shysters.

Samsung should just start patenting every little teeny tiny thing they do even though the patents are entirely invalid just to stop this kind of crap... Because you know that Apple isn't going to fail to patent something Samsung is already doing no matter how non-patentable is actually is.

Back