Introducing Gmail's New Inbox

seems like more tabs to manage and more pages for them to offer custom advertising

and lets not forget having made these distinctions minimally by searching your subject lines and based on sender domains or the full addresses.

That being said -- its actually a clever commercial and pretty catchy. You can set this kind of stuff up manually with folders on most services, but of course that's a bit of a pain. This is doing it dynamically. Not a terrible tradeoff with all the spam out there.

So, Google will do for me what I already have set up with rules and folders.

Oh well, they've not disappointed me so far. I'll give the new layout a shot.

As long as it continues to work with Outlook, they can revamp it all they want.

So, Google will do for me what I already have set up with rules and folders. Oh well, they've not disappointed me so far. I'll give the new layout a shot.

My thoughts as well. My labels and filter options do this already. I do like the tob tab format though. Maybe they will allow you to make custom ones. Like ones just for my tech forum subscription updates.

I guess it will help a little. You still have to browse each tab to see if there are any misplaced emails. I'm sure their algorithm isn't foolproof.
Just like you still have to check your junk folder for important emails.

I prefer to see all my shit on one page, and delete manually. I don't need these new features.

All this time and I still can't sort by sender and just kill off email in bulk that way.

All this time and I still can't sort by sender and just kill off email in bulk that way.

I understand that they don't offer exactly what you're asking, but you can setup filters to do this. Which is what I do.

They're just implementing what most of us already do. I actually have 3 major labels filtering exactly like they're proposing (financial stuff, social stuff, and email commercial offers/deals/spam that I might want to check) that skip my inbox. Though I have a separate label for travel related stuff because I travel for work sometimes (airlines/hotel/rental car emails).

Outlook.com has something like this. They aren't tabs but on the left side it's called "Quick Views." The default quick views you can pick from are Bills, Contacts, Documents, Family, Flagged, Groups, Important, Newsletters, Photos, Shipping Updates, Shopping, Social Updates, and Travel. You can also create your own categories and put them in the Quick Views section. Nice and convenient.

Back