WD Announces The Innovative WD Se Line Of HDDs

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a world leader for storage deployed in datacenters, today announced availability of its innovative WD Se™ line of hard drives, the first designed for scale-out datacenter deployments. Built on an enterprise-grade platform for reliable 24x7x365 datacenter operation, WD Se is tailored to deliver the right combination of performance, reliability and robustness for large-scale replicated environments, mid-sized network attached storage (NAS) deployment, and backup/archiving applications.

WD Se is a true enterprise-class drive with the right blend of affordability and capabilities to address the massive growth of semi-structured data, which is accelerating the scale-out of datacenters of all sizes. Now shipping in capacities up to 4 TB, the new WD Se hard drives enables customers to balance their data growth challenges in multi-drive enclosures without compromising enterprise-class features.

On the specification page (took me a few minutes to find) for the se drives it says these are 7200 RPM

Code:
 	Model #	Interface	Form Factor	RPM	Capacity	Cache	 
	WD4000F9YZ	SATA 6 Gb/s	3.5 Inch	7200	4 TB	64 MB	
	WD3000F9YZ	SATA 6 Gb/s	3.5 Inch	7200	3 TB	64 MB	
	WD2000F9YZ	SATA 6 Gb/s	3.5 Inch	7200	2 TB	64 MB

On the specification page (took me a few minutes to find) for the se drives it says these are 7200 RPM

Code:
 	Model #	Interface	Form Factor	RPM	Capacity	Cache	 
	WD4000F9YZ	SATA 6 Gb/s	3.5 Inch	7200	4 TB	64 MB	
	WD3000F9YZ	SATA 6 Gb/s	3.5 Inch	7200	3 TB	64 MB	
	WD2000F9YZ	SATA 6 Gb/s	3.5 Inch	7200	2 TB	64 MB

Ah thanks. They referenced the Red drives so much that I was thinking that they might have tried to make a datacenter 5400RPM cluster.

5400rpm will never have a place in the datacenter. Ever.

Why? There are other savings (price, power consumption, hvac) that seem like at scale could be significant. As technology for tiered storage levels improves, and massive capacity doesn't necessarily necessitate IOPS, I could see there being a place for it.

Ah thanks. They referenced the Red drives so much that I was thinking that they might have tried to make a datacenter 5400RPM cluster.

I thought the same that. At work I would only consider 7200 RPM models for my raid arrays.

Why? There are other savings (price, power consumption, hvac) that seem like at scale could be significant. As technology for tiered storage levels improves, and massive capacity doesn't necessarily necessitate IOPS, I could see there being a place for it.

What use do they have? Single-user non-virtualized environments. That's about it. No thanks. I'll never consider buying these @ my job, and we're not a large company. At home? Perhaps. If the price is good.

If they're really 7200rpm as mentioned above, then good, though I wonder what's different than, say, RE4.

What use do they have? Single-user non-virtualized environments. That's about it.

These would be great for those using disk arrays as backups.

If they're really 7200rpm as mentioned above, then good, though I wonder what's different than, say, RE4.

Made with hitachi designs or a combination of hitachi tech and WDC? Hmm..

Yes, backups and video storage come to mind.

Something akin to a medium between tape and nearline SAS.

They could call it rearline SAS for fun.

AFAIK All the large supercomputing places do slower, large drives because they deal with large sequential reads/writes of scientific data so random access doesn't matter so much. I'm sure they'd be interested in these.

At work we don't generally go under 10k or 15k...

Back