21:9 Monitor over 29"?

Google "21:9 monitor", and you'll find several.

Then go to http://www.displaywars.com/ and plug in
21:9 / 29 inch left menu and 16:10 / 29 inch on right menu and hit the 'compare' tab..

You will gain 2 inches in viewing screen width but you will lose 4 inches in viewing screen height with a 21:9.

21:9 is understandably beneficial for those working with spread sheets and side-by-side documents.
However, If you use your computer for surfing the web (and in my opinion games too) you will regret it.

A 29 inch 21:9 will equal a screen area of 304.50 sq inches versus the 377.98 sq inch area of a 29 inch 16:10 display.

Last edited:
I think what Trackr meant was - Is there any 21:9 aspect screens larger than 29" available on the market, or upcoming...

AFAIK I haven't seen anything larger as far as a PC monitor goes.
I wouldn't doubt that we'll see larger panels down the road as this becomes a more typical format. (I'd think there will be a point however where the screens will need to be curved to be viewed properly).

Philips has produced a couple of 21:9 TV's - So that might be worth looking at if you can handle the much larger screen size. How well they handle for PC use, I couldn't tell you?
They are also quite expensive....

I think what Trackr meant was - Is there any 21:9 aspect screens larger than 29" available on the market, or upcoming...

Thanks for pointing out the direction of his question to me.

I'd think there will be a point however where the screens will need to be curved to be viewed properly

Very good point! And if you are playing games on a wide curved screen you are going to have FOV (field of view) concerns, e.g. fish bowl effect and misjudging distances.

Last edited:

AFAIK I haven't seen anything larger as far as a PC monitor goes.
I wouldn't doubt that we'll see larger panels down the road as this becomes a more typical format. (I'd think there will be a point however where the screens will need to be curved to be viewed properly).

Philips has produced a couple of 21:9 TV's - So that might be worth looking at if you can handle the much larger screen size. How well they handle for PC use, I couldn't tell you?
They are also quite expensive....

I think you're right. Monitors seem to stop at 30" for some reason, even though I used a 37" HDTV as a monitor for almost a year.

As for the TV's.. they're all 1080p, no? I want a resolution of 3500x1500 or so.

Are there any 21:9 4k TV's/Monitors?

The closest thing I've found is the XVT3D580CM.

It's a 58" 2560x1080 LED 3D TV.

It's way too big for a monitor, and it has huge borders, but at least the price is half what it used to be.

I think the 21:9 format failed for TV's.. but it's perfect for gaming.

I think they're going to play the resolution game first with 16:9 aspect TV's.

21:9 is a little tough for the market to swallow right now, but I don't doubt in the future that the standard TV format will be 21:9. It's great for movies and gaming, but not ideal for the current state of our cable broadcast format.

As it is here in Canada, we are still steadily working towards full 720p/1080i (16:9) adoption on all of our channels. There's a number of channels that are still broadcast in the old 4:3 format. :(

People who use large TV's for their every day desktop computer monitor are certainly in the minority. The majority are happy enough to sit at their desk 2ft. away from their 19"-24" display. 27", 29", 30" are all above what the average consumer buy's and is getting into a size class that is too large for many.

I would personally be OK with maybe a 32"-35" 21:9 screen at my viewing distance, but any wider and I think the display would require a subtle curvature to it. - Or I'd have to sit further back.

Idk about this, but I have heard nothing but problems with 21:9 monitors at the moment for both Dell and LG. if I were you I would wait until new models roll out and new manufactures enter the market.

21:9 is understandably beneficial for those working with spread sheets and side-by-side documents.

Not so. I have worked with spreadsheets for more than twenty years and now tend to start a new spreadsheet a couple of columns in from the LH edge because even on a 24-inch 16:10 display it requires bit too much of peripheral vision. 16:9 would be way too much, 21:9 torture.

Not so. I have worked with spreadsheets for more than twenty years and now tend to start a new spreadsheet a couple of columns in from the LH edge because even on a 24-inch 16:10 display it requires bit too much of peripheral vision. 16:9 would be way too much, 21:9 torture.

I found your dislike of the 21:9 wide screens for spreadsheets to be surprisingly refreshing! :p
Would be interesting to see if other like wise opinionated users will be emerging.

Proponents of the 21:9 aspect ratio on the web are so far the manufacturers of the ultra wide display, plus a PC Advisor reviewer who I am not sure was actually using the 21:9 for spreadsheets, and a contributor in an LG blog:

21:9 Aspect Ratio for wide spreadsheet documents to enhance productivity and powerful multitasking. - LG Ultrawide EA93 Product Page

21:9 format makes it perfectly suitable for more spreadsheets columns to be viewed.- Phillips 29" Ultrawide Product Page

Photo showing how their 21:9 will attain 35 spreadsheet columns instead of only 26
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/discoverlgmonitors/ultrawide.jsp

YouTube Video illustrating the "advantage" of viewing 35 column wide spreadsheets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eby7oigOjjM

So why would you want a display in this format? Obviously, there’s the benefit of extra screen space – documents fit nicely side-by-side and spreadsheets can show many more columns.- PC Advisor

The Phillips 21:9 format makes the monitor perfectly suitable for viewing large spreadsheets or two full Internet pages side by side on one screen.- PCper.com

The UltraWide monitor offers a definitive solution. Bearing in mind differences in every computer set up, the 21:9 monitor can display 35 columns in one screen, letting users grasp information all the more easily and efficiently. This monitor offers nine more columns compared to a conventional 16:9 monitor. - LG Blog
http://whylgtv.lge.com/archives/5167

Last edited:
Anand Tech gave a heavily negative review of the 21:9 LG29EA93.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6741/lg-29ea93-monitor-review-rev-125/8

The original review of the 1.09 firmware 29EA93 was quite negative indeed.
However, the link you posted is for the updated review of the 29EA93-P with firmware 1.25
This Anandtech review was significantly more positive, stating that this updated version of the display was/is vastly improved from the original in every respect.

FWIW, my LG 29EA93-P is a rev 01 panel with 1.43 firmware (manufactured in April 2013).

I have the dell 21:9 29" great for a single display, a 32-34" with ~4k horizontal resolution would be a great next step for this aspect ratio.

The original review of the 1.09 firmware 29EA93 was quite negative indeed.
However, the link you posted is for the updated review of the 29EA93-P with firmware 1.25
This Anandtech review was significantly more positive, stating that this updated version of the display was/is vastly improved from the original in every respect.

FWIW, my LG 29EA93-P is a rev 01 panel with 1.43 firmware (manufactured in April 2013).

:eek: Oops! Yes it was the 1.09 firmware that Anand was critical of.
I forgot that in another thread I pointed out the distinction between the firmware versions.

Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
I think they're going to play the resolution game first with 16:9 aspect TV's.

21:9 is a little tough for the market to swallow right now, but I don't doubt in the future that the standard TV format will be 21:9. It's great for movies and gaming, but not ideal for the current state of our cable broadcast format.

I would personally be OK with maybe a 32"-35" 21:9 screen at my viewing distance, but any wider and I think the display would require a subtle curvature to it. - Or I'd have to sit further back.

I think you hit both nails on the head.

1.) They're probably going to come out with 16:9 monitor with higher resolutions thatn 2560x1600, so we'll just have to wait.
2.) A screen larger than 32" at 21:9 would need to have some sort of curvature. Is this even possible with LCD's? Won't we need to wait for OLED displays that can do that? That might take 5 years.. :(

My biggest issue with 21:9 is that it's not selling.

In my opinion, 21:9 sucks for everything besides 2.35:1 movies and gaming.
I want it ONLY for gaming.

I suppose I'm one of those people who want surround, but don't want border at all. I guess I'll just have to wait..

But even if 21:9 curved 4k screens will be available, they'll be few and far between because I honestly don't believe that anyone besides the PC gaming community would want them.

my setup is a U2913WM for gaming/movies (main screen) and U2412 for browsing/other stuff (secondary screen) i love it.

lately i've been thinking about downgrading the secondary screen to a 22-23" and pivot it, i think that would be even better for surfing.

In my opinion, 21:9 sucks for everything besides 2.35:1 movies and gaming.
I want it ONLY for gaming.

It would actually be a perfect monitor for some professionals as well. For me I want one for music editing. As an audio engineer most of my detail work comes from editing audio and midi notes that are spanned laterally. I currently use a triple monitor set up, but having bezels in the way while editing gets frustrating. 21:9 would be perfect for me as I would love to ditch a spanned desktop in favor of a single ultra wide.

I could also see some benefit for image editing as well, but only if we get more vertical pixels. 1080 vertical is not enough. I would imagine 1200 vertical pixels would be enough. More real estate is always better.

I am still holding my breath for a 2800x1200 monitor. I assume it is still possible with the current interfaces and technology. I really hope one like this is released within the next year, I have been using the same screens for a few years now. I really want to upgrade.

The key to 21:9 really is resolution (higher = better for sure ... well until we can't see anything on the screen lol!), and of course screen size.

For "most" desks 29"-33" will be enough.
Of course some [H]ard core folk will want larger, but then we're really getting into the realm of TV's at that point.

I used to run two Dell U2711's (more recently just one as I prefer a single display) @ 2560x1440 res. They were great, but for my needs I think the 21:9 format suits me better.

It was a very "weird" change at first (going from one format to the other), but I've really taken to the 29EA93-P. So much so that now every time I sit down and watch my 55" Panasonic TV... well it just feels weird. It's like I'm looking at a square box.

The 21:9 format will grow in time. It's new and like anything new, will take a little while to gain a foothold in the market place. Once you start seeing these hit the big box stores - then you'll see the sales numbers climb. Right now they are a little bit exclusive and few actually know this screen format exists.
Those that have seen my 29EA93-P have been very intrigued by it to say the least.

Two of them are now proud owners of a Dell U2711 :D
I only hope they enjoy them as much as I enjoy my LG.

The key to 21:9 really is resolution (higher = better for sure ... well until we can't see anything on the screen lol!), and of course screen size.

For "most" desks 29"-33" will be enough.
Of course some [H]ard core folk will want larger, but then we're really getting into the realm of TV's at that point.

I used to run two Dell U2711's (more recently just one as I prefer a single display) @ 2560x1440 res. They were great, but for my needs I think the 21:9 format suits me better.

It was a very "weird" change at first (going from one format to the other), but I've really taken to the 29EA93-P. So much so that now every time I sit down and watch my 55" Panasonic TV... well it just feels weird. It's like I'm looking at a square box.

The 21:9 format will grow in time. It's new and like anything new, will take a little while to gain a foothold in the market place. Once you start seeing these hit the big box stores - then you'll see the sales numbers climb. Right now they are a little bit exclusive and few actually know this screen format exists.
Those that have seen my 29EA93-P have been very intrigued by it to say the least.

Two of them are now proud owners of a Dell U2711 :D
I only hope they enjoy them as much as I enjoy my LG.

I agree. We need higher resolution 21:9 screens.

But yes, I do prefer if they were a bit bigger. Maybe 33".

Mhm. Well, it's better than the 29" 1080p, but not by a lot.

There are more pixels, but they are tiny. It's still only as tall as a 24" monitor.

I'm looking for something that is exactly 2 inches shorter than my 3007WFP-HC.

I also don't really care about the width THAT much. It doesn't have to be 21:9.. It could be 20:9, 19:9, maybe even 18:9. I just want it somewhat wider and almost equally tall.

So, 2 inches shorter and let's say 4-8 inches wider.

Mhm. Well, it's better than the 29" 1080p, but not by a lot.

There are more pixels, but they are tiny. It's still only as tall as a 24" monitor.

I'm looking for something that is exactly 2 inches shorter than my 3007WFP-HC.

I also don't really care about the width THAT much. It doesn't have to be 21:9.. It could be 20:9, 19:9, maybe even 18:9. I just want it somewhat wider and almost equally tall.

So, 2 inches shorter and let's say 4-8 inches wider.

the 34" 21:9 is really really close to the size you want,
Code:
Stats	                 34"                      30"		
Width	                31.25 inches		25.44 inches
Height	                13.39 inches		15.90 inches
Area	                418.55 inches²	        404.49 inches²
As a 4:3 Display	22.32 inches		26.50 inches
As a 16:9 Display	27.32 inches		29.19 inches
As a 16:10 Display	25.27 inches		30.00 inches
As a 2.35:1 Display	33.96 inches		27.65 inches

Why isn't anyone discussing the GPU a gamer will require - if such a GPU is available - to drive that large a screen with that large a resolution?
So far, everyone is talking about pixels and size, what about frame rates for a gamer?

If you are a gamer you could be setting themselves up for disappointing, inadequate frame rates. Yes? No?

And what about the issue of being able to comfortably read text at native resolution, won't that too be a concern?

Last edited:
Why isn't anyone discussing the GPU a gamer will require - if such a GPU is available - to drive that large a screen with that large a resolution?
So far, everyone is talking about pixels and size, what about frame rates for a gamer?

If you are a gamer you could be setting themselves up for disappointing, inadequate frame rates. Yes? No?

And what about the issue of being able to comfortably read text at native resolution, won't that too be a concern?

For that resolution if you can run 5760x1080, you'll be more than fine for 3440x1440 . That res is also only a little bigger than a 30". So in a lot of cases even a single 7970 will be good enough.

See below
For that resolution if you can run 5760x1080, you'll be more than fine for 3440x1440 . That res is also only a little bigger than a 30". So in a lot of cases even a single 7970 will be good enough.

Agreed. I ran 6000x1200 for a long time on a 7970, now running a 780 and it runs fine. Newer games run at mostly high settings. Should be able to bump a few settings up by going with a single 3440x1440 monitor.

the 34" 21:9 is really really close to the size you want,
Code:
Stats	                 34"                      30"		
Width	                31.25 inches		25.44 inches
Height	                13.39 inches		15.90 inches
Area	                418.55 inches²	        404.49 inches²
As a 4:3 Display	22.32 inches		26.50 inches
As a 16:9 Display	27.32 inches		29.19 inches
As a 16:10 Display	25.27 inches		30.00 inches
As a 2.35:1 Display	33.96 inches		27.65 inches

Yep, 34" is as tall as as 27" 16:9 not a 24"... this is the perfect size probably.

http://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-235x1-vs-27-inch-16x9

But... I haven't seen a SINGLE word about this screen in any of the CES coverage...

Last edited:
Thank you both of you! Looks amazing!
http://translate.google.com/transla...dbox=0&usg=ALkJrhiakf28UEcOMR4Iqd1kSqSk9FizgA

Page 4 of that article has a few videos and a lot of images of the screen in action:
http://translate.googleusercontent....996765&usg=ALkJrhhkXaUHAmgeLY4IaCd098J_QdxTOA

I really hope it is less than $1500... if so I'll be purchasing it. Anyone read any tentative release date information? I'll need a monitor soon.

EDIT: Bad translation from article:

"FYI .. From the 13th of this month in G-market seems to be selling the product reservation. You can do a good discount you are interested in

The 13th try searching for that once in the open market."

Can't wait for these. I just got a 1440P 27" and it's fine for the time being, but I do want a bit of eyefinity-ness for games.

You guys think a single 780 GTX can handle one of these? Seems like the resolution is sort of similar to a 1600p monitor

Can't wait for these. I just got a 1440P 27" and it's fine for the time being, but I do want a bit of eyefinity-ness for games.

You guys think a single 780 GTX can handle one of these? Seems like the resolution is sort of similar to a 1600p monitor

This monitor is 857600 pixels greater than a 30" 2560x1600 display. You can run most games on a 30" w/a single 780 at almost high settings. I would assume that you could manage most games on this monitor with one 780 but you may have to drop settings down a little bit.

I plan on playing league of legends on it, and that won't require too much power at all.

The panel looks like it might be glossy from one of those YouTube videos!!! I have a 29" ultra wide currently and I cannot stand the matte AG coating.

Wish this had G-SYNC or at least we knew if it would be compatible with variable refresh rate (aka FreeSync) in the future.

Is there any chance that a monitor at these dimensions and resolution could come in 144 hz? I don't care if it would be TN.

Last edited:
There is a press release on LG's site about these. It seems there will be multiple models, but it doesn't give a lot of details yet. I'm very excited about these.

Back