[H] + Process Engineers + Plasma = Fun!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today's random [H] sighting is brought to you by [H] forum member FaRKle0079. How in the world did he do that? I'll let him explain the process:

The [H] is made of oxide. Originally, the wafer was all oxide and was going to be discarded after I used it for a test. Instead, I decided to have a little fun and thinned the oxide down to about 450nm to get the reddish color. I then masked the [H] off and etched the non-masked oxide down to the bare silicon. The tool I used to do this is one of my company's newest plasma etch chambers (unreleased).

wow that's cool, can you use that thing to lap heat sinks? look how shiny that thing is....well part of it is the rest is beat up.

wow that's cool, can you use that thing to lap heat sinks? look how shiny that thing is....well part of it is the rest is beat up.

Wafers are incredibly smooth since they're a crystalline structure. You need roughness and abrasion to lap materals. The wafers are so smooth in fact that if you try to place a wafer on top of another it might slide right off like an air-hockey puck.

The "scratches" or "beat up" part you see is actually a reflection of the scratches in the wall (from hitting it with all of our wafer boxes) since the wafer is a mirror.

I hope you brought that home and frame it up. I know I would.

Then again I don't get to play with wafer every now and then. :p

Back