Company Hacked? Hack Them Back!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here an interesting question. If your company is hacked, should you be able to hack the hackers to get your stuff back? :D

The 100-page report, released this week, stops just short of recommending that the U.S. allow businesses to actively retrieve stolen information from within an intruder's network and to disable or destroy it without any limitations.

Good luck getting it back, if you had people that intelligent working for you, you wouldn't of gotten hacked in the first place :rolleyes:

What says the actual attacker can be identified with any degree of accuracy?

Attacks can be launched by botnets consisting of computers owned by unaware individuals (or companies). Blast the botnet, sure the problem may go away, but a bunch of innocents might get hurt too.

There you go, allow companies to hack other people/companies legally because of vague evidence. Nothing can go wrong there...

If your a data is that valuable, code a self destruct mechanism into it or attack code imbedded in it. Why stop at simple encryption, if an unauthorized system tries to access the data the data eats the machine. Like embedding a virus that your own systems are immune to but toher systems will not be so lucky. Just an idea.

I can see upper management now..

Hmmph, the microwave isnt working..
O..M..G..
Those craft koreans hacked the microwave and stole its microwaves and know what i have for lunch everyday!

STOP ALL BUSINESS.. This one is PERSONAL

You!!, techy nerdy guy whos name I never leared because its easier to yell at someone when you dont know them.... Go hack Korea and get our microwaves back and deleted everything else you find.

1- If people care enough, try to prevent the hacking, not cry and wring your hands afterwords.

2- No way the US will ever allow this. This is exactly the behavior that can lead to international political issues. I suggest anyone with a beef in "cyber warfare" brush up on the theory of it. For instance, if a government knowingly allows a criminal to launch attacks against a foreign agent, then that may allow the victim nation to respond in kind or more.

Etc, on and on. This makes for dramatic news for news sites, but has no real bearing on anything.

Good luck getting it back, if you had people that intelligent working for you, you wouldn't of gotten hacked in the first place :rolleyes:

As in most other things, guys who are concerned about security are frequently shut down by management..or fired because they make things inconvenient for people. I've seen both.

That doesn't make it any less awful of an idea though. It's liable to cause more harm than good, both because of collateral damage (whoops, I guess they weren't who cracked in after all!) and because it then gives people who break in more of an incentive to destroy everything they can, not just copy stuff off.

That is not true. It is difficult for one to detect their own mistakes or points of vulnerability.

That is not true. It is difficult for one to detect their own mistakes or points of vulnerability.

More like impossible, you have to deal with software that can't function securely, business processes that require database access available worldwide, people that don't think about, don't understand, or actively work to undermine security, and the simple fact that you have to read and react while the people attempting to break in only have to act.

Nevermind the sheer volume of code out there any of which could have undisclosed or unknown vulnerabilities which can bite you in the butt at any time.

May the internet wars begin. Will they be government funded?

You are a bit naive to think they haven't been going for a while, the Chinese, Russians, Israelis, and the US have been at this for several years. Probably many more players, you just don't see much about it, no one likes to report it, successes or failures.

Back