Nokia Lumia 928, 925, and 521.

Medion

[H]ard|Gawd
I've recently been exploring my options, which included some brief flirting with Windows Phone 8. Decided that it's not for me, but each of these phones caught my eyes. Here's my take on the three.

Lumia 521 - The best of the bunch, not literally, but economically. A capable device that lies somewhere between the Galaxy S2 (2011) and Galaxy S3 (2012) in peformance. However, those still RETAIL for $449 and $599, respectively. The Lumia 521? T-Mobile will sell it unsubsidized starting May 22nd for $149.99! Wal-Mart launched it for pay-as-you-go plans last week for $129.99! Sold out nationwide in under three hours! This phone is an amazing introduction to both smartphones and the Windows Phone OS. It's worth a look for anyone looking for a deal. IMO, it's the best budget smartphone beneath the Nexus 4.

Lumia 928 - This is Verizon's exclusive variant of the Lumia 920. After roughly 6 months, Nokia added a Xenon flash and reduced the bulk of the device. That's pretty much it, as the camera software enhancements are coming to the 920.

Lumia 925 - Same as above, but this is T-Mobile's variant. Instead of Xenon, it gets a dual-LED flash, but also a slimmer, sexier all-aluminum body. However, Nokia thought that 16GB would be adequate (no MicroSD). So, Nokia is still confused on what constitutes high-end. They don't know if they're selling a 2-seater minivan, or a Ferrari with a 4-cylinder.

Overall, not impressed with Nokia. While real flagships like the HTC One and Galaxy S4 makes their rounds on almost all carriers, Nokia is making carrier-exclusives that are staggered and incomplete. If Nokia had released the 928's camera (xenon flash) with the 925's body, at least 32GB storage, and the 920's release date, on most carriers, they would have had an amazing flagship. How far the mighty have fallen...

720 should be best bang for buck, nice f1.9 camera and it has the best battery life. 925 camera is better than the 928's which is just 920 camera with new flash.

Nokia is hurting themselves by going carrier exclusive.

And Microsoft is hurting all their manufacturers by not designing WP to be ahead of the pack. It is missing features and capabilities that they should have already thought out before, like 1080p screen. WP8.1 better have support for 4K screens, not that it's going to be used, but that's positioning them ahead, not playing catch up.

I also see Nokia as shooting their foot with being tied to Microsoft as well ..... If they made a Android handset, of comparable specs to other top tier ones, I would be all over it in a second.......Looked at their WP offerings, wasnt a huge fan, mainly due to WP :D Dam the N9 is a sexy phone though ...(for meego ofc)

I also see Nokia as shooting their foot with being tied to Microsoft as well ..... If they made a Android handset, of comparable specs to other top tier ones, I would be all over it in a second.......Looked at their WP offerings, wasnt a huge fan, mainly due to WP :D Dam the N9 is a sexy phone though ...(for meego ofc)
They did receive guaranteed Microsoft bailout money. There is no guarantee that they wouldn't be another fly swatted by Samsung like HTC. HTC may have the superior device, but samsung spends more on marketing and planting shills and lies everywhere than HTC's income.

Although I like all the new phones coming out, I just purchased an HTC 8X and am happier with it than I expected to be. WP8 is a fantastic OS and works great on this phone. :D

I personally saw no point in Android or iOS phones but that is me. WP8 does exactly what I want and then some things I did not even know I wanted. :) I picked up the 8X because I am on T Mobile and this phone has a 768 x 1280 screen. (The Lumia 822 did not and I already had an HD7 so I wanted something better.)

Thanks anyway for the heads up OP.

Last edited:
The 928 will be huge for Nokia, as there have been quite a few people waiting for a high-end on Verizon. the 925 also uses a 6 element lens instead of the 5 element on the 920/928. But between the 920/925/928, Sprint is the only one without a high-end Nokia now, so at least the current exclusivity model isn't completely shutting them out any more.

the EOS Lumina is later - the 808 41MP chip with WP.

As much as I love my SGS I've been looking for a decent 4G phone to upgrade to on Verizon, although I'm still tempted to wait for the SGS4

If I were a Verizon or AT&T customer, I would prefer Nokia and Motorola over everyone else. Now, if another brand makes an amazing device, let's say Samsung or HTC, then I would consider those instead. Nokia and Motorola have all the good radio design patents. Their devices typical have superior reception due to that reason. Sanyo also used to have that distinction (at least on the Sprint network), but they aren't exactly relevant anymore; Kyocera phones suck!

But, since Nokia hasn't been CDMA for years, I would be a little bit more reserved about them.

Too bad, Verizon isn't selling the HTC One, but rather that carrier exclusive crap DNA which will not be getting any updates...

Currently, if Motorola's XFon is being released "soon," I'd probably be considering Nokia 928 and XFon way ahead before I even consider the GS4. I'd rather get the Note 2 over the GS4.

I just picked up the 928 today coming off a droid razer maxx.
Much smoother. I did have to get use to the windows layout but that was quick. The phone is not bad at all. This is only after a day of texts and email. Still no lag and am loaded with apps.

I like most of the app layouts better on this phone than on my droid. LOVE how the spotify app is laid out. I really cant speak highly enough about this phone.

I got the white one and it is a bit slick im going to be getting a cover for it or some kind of zagg shield. I dont think I have owned a more beautiful phone.

I just picked up the 928 today coming off a droid razer maxx.
Much smoother. I did have to get use to the windows layout but that was quick. The phone is not bad at all. This is only after a day of texts and email. Still no lag and am loaded with apps.

I like most of the app layouts better on this phone than on my droid. LOVE how the spotify app is laid out. I really cant speak highly enough about this phone.

I got the white one and it is a bit slick im going to be getting a cover for it or some kind of zagg shield. I dont think I have owned a more beautiful phone.
Tell us more!

Tell me what you wanna hear and I will answer all that I can.

The phone is beautiful I cant stress that enough.

Back