Google Triples Free Storage To 15GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
15GB of free storage to use any way you want? That is pretty damn cool no matter how you look at it. :cool:

Life gets a bit easier when your Google products work well together—whether that’s inserting a Drive file into an email or sharing a photo from Drive on Google+. As this experience becomes more seamless, separate storage doesn’t make as much sense anymore. So instead of having 10 GB for Gmail and another 5 GB for Drive and Google+ Photos, you’ll now get 15 GB of unified storage for free to use as you like between Drive, Gmail, and Google+ Photos.

As this experience becomes more seamless, separate storage that we can't monitor for marketing purposes and/or provide to prying organizations to access without a warrant doesn’t make as much sense anymore.

FTFY

Does anyone know how this affects Google Apps free users?

Right now, when we try to buy storage, it only applies to Drive. It does not add to GMail at all. Is this changing? Or has Google forgotten about us since they discontinued Google Apps free?

Right now, when we try to buy storage, it only applies to Drive. It does not add to GMail at all. Is this changing? Or has Google forgotten about us since they discontinued Google Apps free?

I haven't seen any updates regarding Google Apps Free for this. I still have 10.1GB space in Google Apps Mail.

15 GB of consolidated storage doesn't seem like three times more than 10 GB mail + 5 GB for Google+. Just saying.

Bringing it all together for Google Apps customers: 30GB shared between Drive and Gmail

Life gets a bit easier when your Google Apps products work well together -- whether that’s inserting a Drive file into an email or sharing Docs and photos from Drive on Google+. As that experience becomes seamless, having separate storage doesn’t make as much sense anymore. So over the coming weeks, you’ll get 30 GB of unified storage to use as you like between Drive and Gmail. Just as before, files created in Docs, Sheets and Slides don't count against your storage quota. Storage will also be shared with photos you upload to Google+ larger than 2048px.

I haven't seen any updates regarding Google Apps Free for this. I still have 10.1GB space in Google Apps Mail.
Everyone does - even regular GMail users. It's going to take weeks for them to roll this out to everyone. But I really hope they finally unify it for us. Since GApps free is no longer available, I don't see what they have to lose by unifying it. People are forced to get GApps for business no matter what now. (except those of us who are grandfathered)

They don't make a differentiation in their statement, so I guess good luck and hope you get rolled in as well :D
Yea, that's why I'm asking. They don't offer GApps free anymore but there's still a bunch of people grandfathered in.

Looks like the videos can be 10gb in size with some limitations:

Google Drive gives you control over all of your file types in a single place, including video files. With Google Drive, you can:
•Sync or upload video files up to 10GB in size
•Sync or upload video files in the following formats: ◦WebM files (Vp8 video codec; Vorbis Audio codec)
◦.MPEG4, 3GPP and MOV files - (h264 and mpeg4 video codecs; AAC audio codec)
◦.AVI (MJPEG video codec; PCM audio)
◦.MPEGPS (MPEG2 video codec; MP2 audio)
◦.WMV
◦.FLV (Adobe - FLV1 video codec, MP3 audio)

•View all of your videos at a glance
•Store up to 5GB of videos or other file types for free
•Share videos with other people without ever having to use an email attachment
•Add caption tracks to your video files.

This is just another 'feature' for Google to discontinue in the future. :rolleyes:

They aren't really increasing storage space. You are actually losing 0.1GB. Gmail was 10.1 and drive as 5, now both together are 15.

They should give us more free shit.

Their stock price is through the roof. They can afford it.

Back