Mad Genius Builds Prototype ‘DualShock 3’ Controller

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mad Genius has taken a trip to the past and has ‘reinvented’ a controller very similar to what Sony came up with five years ago. The controller breaks into two sections, can be used on just about any console, and is extremely accurate in its character control. Mad Genius is taking the Kickstarter route for funding, so production date is unknown.

Too athletic for me, I just wanna sit down when playing games,fuk jumping and walking about the room whilst trying to focus on a 40 inch tv or 24 inch monitor.

Probably be great for those with projectors and a spare wall.

This guy still hasn't gotten the memo that nobody outside of six year olds care about motion controls in video games.

This guy still hasn't gotten the memo that nobody outside of six year olds care about motion controls in video games.

pretty sure Tack IR counts as motion control, and i care about that in games. ;)

as for this controller meh lol.

pretty sure Tack IR counts as motion control, and i care about that in games. ;)

as for this controller meh lol.

Dude, seriously? TrackIR is completely different than having to bust a sweat to control your character. TrackIR requires no physical movement other than your head...:rolleyes:

Unless you were being sarcastic that is...

Looks like a lot of lag. Razer hydra has been doing the same thing for a while, although it doesn't have range that this one does it has WAY better latency.

Dude, seriously? TrackIR is completely different than having to bust a sweat to control your character. TrackIR requires no physical movement other than your head...:rolleyes:

Unless you were being sarcastic that is...

;) lol

Dude, seriously? TrackIR is completely different than having to bust a sweat to control your character.
If you're sweating playing Wii games with motion controls, there's bigger issues to worry about than your characters movement.

If you're sweating playing Wii games with motion controls, there's bigger issues to worry about than your characters movement.

Not really, Wiii bowling sure, but when people swing like crazy in Wii Boxing they are bound to get hot.

Looks like a lot of lag. Razer hydra has been doing the same thing for a while, although it doesn't have range that this one does it has WAY better latency.
He did say that this was a proof of concept prototype. I would think that the finished product would have better latency amongst other improvements.

I give them credit for making it, but in that demonstration it's far more work than needed for the actions in the game. Plus, despite what they said, you can plainly see the response lag in control.

It's a niche system that far few people would actually be interested in, let alone to help fund.

the laaaaag :eek:

Probably capture lag to keep in mind and input latency.

But yea , the amount of processing this is going to take while vary from game to game and what it offers for freedom of motion.

Interesting concept but I only see this possibly working on the PC. For current gen consoles a break out box would be required to do the processing.

Um... no.

If a player is so fat that playing Wii causes you to be sweaty and tired than maybe complaining about video games is not the best use of ones time. He was referring to health concerns if you were confused but what he was trying to imply.

this system is great for games where your character moves at a 5x5m platform and nowhere else.

Provided they can get the latency issues worked out, I would like to see what it would be like in combination this with an Oculus Rift.

Something like this would augment oculus rift. People who've tried oculus rift claim you can only do it for a short while because the experience is too much. That could be because the level of visual immersion is out of step with the level of control immersion. So it might benefit from something like this.

Something like this would augment oculus rift. People who've tried oculus rift claim you can only do it for a short while because the experience is too much. That could be because the level of visual immersion is out of step with the level of control immersion. So it might benefit from something like this.

Yea, this is probably where it will take off, when its combined with rift or something similar, as it will then become a true virtual experience with hands, body, eyes and ears all involved together which will offer a unique virtual experience.

Just a pity you'd trip up on all the cabling :eek:

Personally I would like to experience that as I think that could be big, but for doing shit what was in the video, that aint for me.

cool idea and probably has twice the performance of the Nintendo power glove.

Also due to there not being native support in the console, I would bet you would only get very generic control for games in which they didn't custom create custom control mechanisms (based off of description as they split the controller, which did a custom macro to select bow).

The tech is getting closer but not there yet.

Yea, this is probably where it will take off, when its combined with rift or something similar, as it will then become a true virtual experience with hands, body, eyes and ears all involved together which will offer a unique virtual experience.

Just a pity you'd trip up on all the cabling :eek:

Personally I would like to experience that as I think that could be big, but for doing shit what was in the video, that aint for me.

Yep, because running around a room with a rift over your eyes will really add to the experience, then they can change the line to "I used to be an explorer like you until I took a coffee table to the knee.

Yep, because running around a room with a rift over your eyes will really add to the experience, then they can change the line to "I used to be an explorer like you until I took a coffee table to the knee.

LOL.

As much as people continue to push this stuff, it's still going to remain a niche for some very simple and obvious reasons.

Jumping around with your arms flailing about with a pair of goggles on, bad idea in the average living room. You'd think that people would have learned by now after the TVs destroyed by wiimotes.

Of course no one but the most out of shape lardass is going to break a sweat playing a wii game where all you really need to do is waggle the controller around. However, most people play games to kick back and relax, so taking the experience further isn't going to be very appealing to people most of the time. And sure, this is better than the god awful kinect camera with barely working games, but not by much.

About the only place I see this working well, would be in an environment like those ones with the platforms you can walk on in 8 directions without actually moving(or maybe one of those giant american gladiators hamster ball setups) as a theme park attraction or maybe something in a place like Dave & Buster's(or your local equivalent).

I bought a Wii at launch, and thanks to it, I have discovered over 3 years that I actually really fucking hate motion controls.

You know what will make a Next Gen console a good purchase for me? It's if they allow me to play without using some stupid motion control thing.

Lol this is pretty ridiculous, interesting concept but using Skyrim to demonstrate it was terrible.

Lol this is pretty ridiculous, interesting concept but using Skyrim to demonstrate it was terrible.

i think it was a good choice or what would you suggest for a demonstration? people are familiar with the game (better than some dummy in an empty 3d environment) and you can show fairly complex movements.

if sensors were accurate and fast enough (the lag makes it pointless), we could finally have a light saber simulator or a fully functional cockpit in falcon 4.0 (with the oculus rift and motion sensors). right now it's still a gimick, but give it 10 years or so and it will be mature enough. it just takes a few iterations and you have to start somewhere.

also, i wish sony had at least tried to do something with the move. come on, it's perfect for rail shooters. house of the dead plays great! just give me 10 more of such games.

I bought a Wii at launch, and thanks to it, I have discovered over 3 years that I actually really fucking hate motion controls.

Same my sister loved it so i got her wii, we played it for a week and now it's sitting in corner collecting dust.

Like 3D and virtual reality games, it's good for a moment, but the novelty wears off.
I'll stop playing games if motion controls is all we had to choose from.

lol treadmill, why dont they just make a big dual thumb stick you can put 2 feet in at an adjustable angle and just control the world like that, you can still sit down that way. add gloves to track individual left and right arm movements so you can pick things up of the ground just by leaning forwards a bit and reaching out with a grabbing motion and also flip people off in game, then a good light gun rifle and your set.

Back