Sharp to Slash 5,000 Jobs, Shift Production Focus

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Sharp Corporation will be cutting 5K jobs internationally and refocusing the company’s production on regional products that have proven profitable for the company. Sharp is joining many of the once mega-corporations forced to restructure due to unfavorable economic times. The restructuring plan will be spread over a three year period and include a significant cut in top level personnel.

As for TV sales, Sharp will conduct more research on consumer preferences in specific regions. In the United States, for example, the company plans to increase production of large-sized TV sets, which are 70-inch type or bigger, and 4K TVs whose screen images are clearer.

Nothing wrong with large / high-res TVs but why increase production of a product the majority of consumers can't afford or can't make use of yet? This doesn't sound like a winning game plan to me.

Nothing wrong with large / high-res TVs but why increase production of a product the majority of consumers can't afford or can't make use of yet? This doesn't sound like a winning game plan to me.

Sharp's 70" offerings are both their best selling and most profitable.

There are so many <70" screens out there, just barely priced over lot cost... It just doesn't make sense to spend money building a screen that will compete with 10x other brands and offer about the same performance and features... Especially when buyers go to Walmart and get a Hitronics 60" for 500$ (who cares if it breaks a year later).

Surprisingly, sharp is one of the only commonly sourced manufacturers who make 70, 80 and 90 inch screens. It's a brand thing as well, they want to look high end, and sell like it.

Sharp's 70" offerings are both their best selling and most profitable.

Surprisingly, sharp is one of the only commonly sourced manufacturers who make 70, 80 and 90 inch screens. It's a brand thing as well, they want to look high end, and sell like it.

Sharp 70+ TVs are probably the best deal out there right now. Prices are very low for the sizes and performance is definitely above the price paid.

When I saw this article... was afraid they would stop making them before I could convince the old lady a new TV is needed:)

I am a happy camper, this is good news!

Back