Prolimatech Geneis and Fenrir Titan CPU Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Prolimatech Geneis and Fenrir Titan CPU Cooler Review - We are looking at two different CPU coolers today that stray a bit off the beaten path. Both the Genesis and the Fenrir are tower air coolers in a sense but both add a horizontal plane of cooling fins both utilizing heatpipes that have the ability to flow cooling air to other parts of the motherboard's power elements.

Interesting article; as ever, a lot of hard work there.

Is the Genesis supposed to be used without fans? If so, how does it bear up? At 800g it's more massive than my Nofan. Would I be correct in thinking that neither are suitable for a case with a rotated motherboard like the FT02 and FT03?

And what is the point of the odd shape?

But why bother? Why not just have both bits vertical?

because the designs already been done by at least 4 different manufactures. problem is air cooled heatsinks have gotten to the point where you can't get any more performance out of them, so to stay relevant in the market you have to come up with other unique designs in hopes that they sell. at this point air cooling is pretty much a dead end for these companies when it comes to the high performance part of the market unless some one comes up with some miracle break through in air cooling in the next year or two.

Fixed, thanks for the extra eyes. - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review. :Cool:

FrozenCPU has become my favorite water cooling shop over the last 3 years because the have the best selection and best customer service and decent pricing.

I think Prolimatech may have missed an opportunity with the Genesis. If they'd have raised the fins array over the RAM, then it could be used in full four fan fiesta mode.

The graphs are horrible, they are impossible to read, even when zooming in 400%.

The graphs are horrible, they are impossible to read, even when zooming in 400%.

I can easily read those graphs without my reading glasses on, so I am not so sure the problem is on our end with that one. Sorry.

I've owned a Genesis for quite a while now, and I'm very pleased with the results. Paired up with a couple of Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans (I want to say the 1850s -- but don't quote me on that), it's quite a good performer. I have my i2700K sitting at 4.5 GHz, and it idles in the mid 20s to low 30s, and doesn't go too much past 60 during a stress test. Granted, I have a HAF-X case with the full compliments of fans, but I think it's still pretty good temps for air cooling.

[Constructive Criticism]

It looks like the amount of thermal compound used for your tests is way too much. In the pictures posted in the article, it looks like a layer of cake batter which tells me it's too much. Correct application should result in a very thin (extremely thin) layer of thermal compound that is barely visible on the mating surfaces. The job of thermal compound is to just fill in the microgaps between the mating surfaces. Most of your contact should be metal to metal.

You should be using a drop no larger than a grain of rice. Using too much thermal compound will cause incomplete thermal transfer of heat to the heatsink...the compound will act as an insulator.

In your defense, Intel uses way too much on their HSFs they supply with retail CPUs, so people have become accustomed to using too much based on that observation.

Use this pic for a reference:
b050cdc0_vbattach5912.jpeg

[/Constructive Criticism]

I title and was like "Cool, a couple of after market coolers for my GTX Titan.

Then I was disappointed :p

Back