Windows 7 Energy Options

Araxie

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all people, this time I took the time to make some questions about the Energy Options on windows 7 that are the currently im running and testing this... and its about the Energy options profiles Balanced, and high performance.. Im using ATM the TechPowerUP OSD with CoreTemp to monitoring the CPU frecuency, Load, Temp, together with RivaTuner statistics Sever for OSD FPS and other things... the thing are:

For no reason apparently when gaming on high performance energy mode my i7 2600 operate on a noticeable high CPU Frecuency fully 3900mhz - 4000mhz and usage from 65%+ with the consecuent increase on overall temp..

When using un balanced energy mode the CPU frecuency vary from 1600mhz-3000mhz and a 10%-20% usage on normal games like Dead Space 1,2, Residente evil 6, Diablo III.. on more heavy intensive games it vary from 1600-3800mhz and up to 40-50% of usage.. and i though this should have a hit impact on the FPS but for a surprise this not its the true, the FPS remain intact. not any change on performance..

So the question its at this point, windows 7 isn't capable to management the power on high performance energy mode according to the Game requirement? instead simply work as much as possible for no reason?.. where is the extra frecuency and CPU usage if aren't making a impact on the games performance.. its sadly.. now i have changed to Balanced mode and i now perform a substantial positive impact on my temps while playing..

Please share thoughts in this.. and if is possible feel free to try for yourself and share results.. :)..

Regards...
PD: sorry any mistake my english isn't perfect.. ^^

According to MS's FAQ page on power plans, these are mostly made for laptop power (battery) management. As you see from the high performance plan, power management is minimized, and according to MS that "might increase the computer's performance in some circumstances" at the expense of much higher power usage.

Balanced is the default for the reasons you showed.

You can compare by running a benchmark (SuperPI mod or something else with high precision results) on high performance and balanced, and it might perform better in high performance mode. On my laptop I have to use high performance mode in order to get the Core 2 CPU's IDA working.

well i tested several times stock and Oc'd on Passmark Performance Test. Only CPU TEST. Aida64 Extreme Edition CPU benchs, and the results where the same.. on all stock cases and Oc'd cases, no matter how much times I apply the same test bench the results vary from 1 to 2 points sometimes in favor of High Performance, sometimes on favor balanced.. i made another test changing the default value of the minimum state of the processor on the High performance profile to 5% just like the balanced mode, and this not made any effect over the CPU usage and frecuency.. keep higher on High Performance mode.. but yes.. should be logic to think in just the profile keep managing the power usage to the maxium value possible..

thx for the input.. i'll try SuperPI and share results later..

Why do people overclock if they want low power and temps?

Back