Microsoft Sells More Than 100M Windows 8 Licenses in 6 Months

HardOCP News

[H] News
Despite all the bitching and moaning about Windows 8, it looks like it is selling as well as Windows 7 was at the six month mark.

Microsoft officials said Monday that Microsoft has surpassed the 100 million Windows 8 licenses sold milestone -- a number on par with the number of Windows 7 licenses the company sold in its first six months on the market. "If there had been more touch devices in the market, it would have been even more," said Tami Reller, the chief financial officer of Microsoft's Windows client team. That said, "our sell-through has been consistently going up," Reller added.

Last edited:
I don't get that. PC sales are abysmal and you can fit the people that like Metro in a phone booth yet Win8 is selling as well as Win7 that was replacing the very unpopular Vista? That doesn't make sense to me.

Bull...licenses sold doesn't mean licenses in actual use. If they want to include tablets and phones I might buy it but since this comes from MS directly I'm not going too.

I'm sorry, these numbers mean absolutely nothing to determine the success of Windows 8. Microsoft discounts Windows 8 greatly (almost free) and forces OEM vendors to include it on all new PCs. Sales numbers are skewed to include each and every "sale" regardless if the systems are sold, scrapped, installed with an alternate OS or siting in a warehouse and collect dust for 3+ years. Yeah, sales are good but let's talk about profit and adoption rate instead. Nice try Microsoft...

Bull...licenses sold doesn't mean licenses in actual use. If they want to include tablets and phones I might buy it but since this comes from MS directly I'm not going too.

Phones? What the hell are you talking about? Windows phones use a different platform called Windows Phone 8 and whatnot.

I'd also like to point out that the number for Windows 7 also include the computers and tablets that came with it preinstalled, so the numbers should equate pretty well. The only complaint that I would have is that it includes Windows RT, which is basically Windows 8, subtract anything useful that you could do with it.

I'm sorry, these numbers mean absolutely nothing to determine the success of Windows 8. Microsoft discounts Windows 8 greatly (almost free) and forces OEM vendors to include it on all new PCs. Sales numbers are skewed to include each and every "sale" regardless if the systems are sold, scrapped, installed with an alternate OS or siting in a warehouse and collect dust for 3+ years. Yeah, sales are good but let's talk about profit and adoption rate instead. Nice try Microsoft...

That's exactly what Microsoft did with Windows 7. Do you have brain damage where you forget what happened 3 or 4 years ago? When Windows 7 was about to be released, Microsoft offered the EXACT same deal to upgrade for free.

I understand you don't like being wrong about something, but please for the love of god try and be factual.

That's exactly what Microsoft did with Windows 7. Do you have brain damage where you forget what happened 3 or 4 years ago? When Windows 7 was about to be released, Microsoft offered the EXACT same deal to upgrade for free.

I understand you don't like being wrong about something, but please for the love of god try and be factual.

Numbers from MS are absolutely worthless when common sense tells us otherwise. How do you know MS numbers are fact?

Bottom line is Win 8 is still a shitty product. These sales figures are in all likelihood vastly inflated. And real computer people, (i.e. Sys Admins, PC Techs..) worth their salt, will probably never user Win 8. Please stop trying to justify your insecurity in buying an inferior product and just shut up.

How many of those numbers are from people who just took advantage of the $15 upgrade loophole?
Note the loophole had a limit 5 and many people stocked up.

Now how many people tried one of those upgrade keys, didn't like it, and then reinstalled 7?

Windows 8 has a tremendous advantage. Not only is it selling on desktops, but it has a tablet market that 7 did not have. I don't think the loss of PC sales is equal to the growth of tablets. I think tablets are growing faster than loss of PC sales because many users have both devices.

Bottom line is Win 8 is still a shitty product. These sales figures are in all likelihood vastly inflated. And real computer people, (i.e. Sys Admins, PC Techs..) worth their salt, will probably never user Win 8. Please stop trying to justify your insecurity in buying an inferior product and just shut up.

What? I dont get this statement. What is "real computer people"? From my experience, as I have used W8 extensively and on the type of devices that it was meant to be used for other than the lack of a start menu it is just as fast if not faster than W7 in everything. Its also more stable as well. What W8 brings to the tablet form factor is far beyond what any version of windows brought before it. It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input. But it is not in anyway a bad product or inferior to W7. It is different most specifically with the GUI. That is probably why most people don't like it because it represents change.

What? I dont get this statement. What is "real computer people"? From my experience, as I have used W8 extensively and on the type of devices that it was meant to be used for other than the lack of a start menu it is just as fast if not faster than W7 in everything. Its also more stable as well. What W8 brings to the tablet form factor is far beyond what any version of windows brought before it. It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input. But it is not in anyway a bad product or inferior to W7. It is different most specifically with the GUI. That is probably why most people don't like it because it represents change.

It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input It might not be the best for desktop use, since most people will not have a touch input.

Oh great, another here we go change is always good and if you don't like it your a troll.

At work we wanted to get more windows 7 upgrade licenses. We had to buy windows 8 keys and use the keys for windows 7. I wonder how many of those are counting towards this 100m figure.

Oh great, another here we go change is always good and if you don't like it your a troll.

Never said that. Dont assume. I simply stated a reason that I see most often as why a lot of people here say they dont like W8. I never said I liked the no start button either, but I can live without it since I use W8 on a tablet device. I still have W7 as the primary OS on my Workstation and my gaming rig.

Just about everyone at work who has recently bought a new pc with windows 8, has come to like it after all the initial bitching and moaning.

This sampling covers the gamut from a grandma to a highly technically experienced server admin.

Not only has the grandma level users have all come to like it, but the sysdamin/vmware admin has come around. He set it up on his wife's pc but now he will probably get it himself at some point as well.

I do agree that it would be nice for the interface to be able to be switched back to win7 classic. I think this should have been built in. But apparently Win8 is actually really cool once you get used to it.

• Windows 8 sux
  • M$ux LOLOL
  • Bill Gates hates me
we done here ladies or did I miss anything?

Just about everyone at work who has recently bought a new pc with windows 8, has come to like it after all the initial bitching and moaning.

This sampling covers the gamut from a grandma to a highly technically experienced server admin.

Not only has the grandma level users have all come to like it, but the sysdamin/vmware admin has come around. He set it up on his wife's pc but now he will probably get it himself at some point as well.

I do agree that it would be nice for the interface to be able to be switched back to win7 classic. I think this should have been built in. But apparently Win8 is actually really cool once you get used to it.

I found the exact opposite of your experience with employees, friends and family. But opinions do vary...lets hope they bring the desktop and start button back.

What are you talking about?

I'm not talking about Microsoft "free" or $15.00 upgrade offer. That's a minuscule percentage of their total sales. I'm talking about Microsoft reducing their licensing costs for OEM vendors in order to help bolster Windows 8 sales; Google it. That and forcing VLSCA users to purchase a Windows 8 licenses in order to use Windows 7, etc...

And real computer people, (i.e. Sys Admins, PC Techs..) worth their salt, will probably never user Win 8.

Yeah, but these people (us on here included) are a TINY fraction of the overall computer market, to the point where they are negligible overall to sales statistics.

Numbers from MS are absolutely worthless when common sense tells us otherwise. How do you know MS numbers are fact?

They may be skewed somewhat to show them in favorable light, but then again, so would the numbers have been during the Win 7 launch as well.

Expect the numbers to be skewed a bit, but overall factual, as Microsoft does not want to be fined by the SEC or sued by its shareholders for releasing inaccurate information.

The devil will be in the details, like - for instance - licenses sold, as mentioned by PCjunkie above.

All that being said, I bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro for use on my HTPC.

Windows 8 won't come anywhere near my Desktop though.

Zarathustra[H];1039859968 said:
All that being said, I bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro for use on my HTPC.

Windows 8 won't come anywhere near my Desktop though.

This exactly for me. Decided to use Win 8 as A: it was very cheap and B: the giant tiles over projector sitting 15 feet away made for easier navigation. With exaggeration, using Win 8 was like having to learn to walk again. The settings/home dockbar is just annoying and yes I realize 3rd party tools/hacks are available.

Win 7 as desktop for the long future ahead.

Despite all the bitching and moaning about Windows 8, it looks like it is selling as well as Windows 7 was at the six month mark.

except that W's 7 targeted but one platform, the conventional desktop, while W's 8 targeted a boatload more of platforms & devices

spin it however you want, MS, that = FAIL

except that W's 7 targeted but one platform, the conventional desktop, while W's 8 targeted a boatload more of platforms & devices

spin it however you want, MS, that = FAIL

True, but this hardware isn't even out yet, Haswell, Bay Trail, smaller, cheaper devices, etc. What's going to make or break Windows 8 and successors is the quality and price of the hardware. This is one reason that a lot of people predicted a slow start to Windows 8 because the hardware that will support it well simply isn't here yet. If newer hardware fails to lift sales and popularity of Windows 8 then it is indeed in a lot of trouble.

What's going to make or break Windows 8 and successors is the quality and price of the hardware. This is one reason that a lot of people predicted a slow start to Windows 8 because the hardware that will support it well simply isn't here yet. If newer hardware fails to lift sales and popularity of Windows 8 then it is indeed in a lot of trouble.

I disagree. They needed to write software for the hardware that is available now. They need to continue to write software supporting today's hardware with an eye towards tomorrow's. The wait game is something they cannot afford.

I disagree. They needed to write software for the hardware that is available now. They need to continue to write software supporting today's hardware with an eye towards tomorrow's. The wait game is something they cannot afford.

Well part of the problem is that today's PC hardware is little different from that of 5 years ago. There's nothing really to motivate people to but new hardware or software. Incremental changes to the desktop simply aren't enough in this mobile and tablet crazy market.

Exactly. This doesn't count the huge number of PC's that I've upgraded from 8 to Windows 7.

You hit the nail on the head. The key is to read between the lines and understand what the Microsoft PR releases don't say.

I want to know who bought the licenses, and how much they sold for.

Back