Seagate Constellation ES.3 4TB

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the Seagate Constellation ES.3 4TB enterprise class hard drive posted today at Overclockers Club that is certainly worth checking out.

Comparing the Constellation ES.3 to a pair of consumer mechanical drives shows the performance advantage of this drive in just about every test. RAID 0 performance scaled nicely, driving throughput of the Constellation drives to a level on par with some earlier solid state drives. Speed and capacity are what the Constellation drives bring to the table. Surely the 128MB of onboard cache helps the performance along with the 7200RPM spindle speed. As an enterprise class drive it is meant to spend its lifespan of 1.4 million hours dutifully answering data calls.

Seagate enterprise class hard drive?

Shudder....... I don't even trust Seagate on my desktops.

To be fair, that reflects your experience. I had much better experience with Seagate than say with WD. The now free Seagate advanced RMA in USA works really well too. I have a whole army of various drives and they are decent. RAID your critical drives and you wouldn't care much for the brand of the drive. Though, I must admit that larger drives are less reliable by a fairly considerable margin.

To be fair, that reflects your experience. I had much better experience with Seagate than say with WD. The now free Seagate advanced RMA in USA works really well too. I have a whole army of various drives and they are decent. RAID your critical drives and you wouldn't care much for the brand of the drive. Though, I must admit that larger drives are less reliable by a fairly considerable margin.

I rather the drive NOT fail than RMA it ...

all drives fail, just a matter of when

i have had perfect experiences with Hitachi drives, but now Seagate took them over, i do worry as i have had numerous issues with Seagate but mostly during their 7900.9 / 10 / .11 days when they had many problems.

The now free Seagate advanced RMA in USA works really well too.

I agree that Seagate's RMA process is good.
My problem is how many time's I've had to use it already this year :(

I'm not sure how WD's RMA service compares, as I have yet to need it :)

Seagate enterprise class hard drive?

Shudder....... I don't even trust Seagate on my desktops.

Who else even makes enterprise drives? Western Digital makes 10k but not 15k drives.

Hitachi, Fujitsu, and Toshiba make some.

seems like all the mfg's go through cycles where they have good solid drives, and crappy drives.

all drives fail, just a matter of when

i have had perfect experiences with Hitachi drives, but now Seagate took them over, i do worry as i have had numerous issues with Seagate but mostly during their 7900.9 / 10 / .11 days when they had many problems.

Incorrect, Seagate bought Samsung's HDD division. WD obtained Hitachi's 2.5" drive division and sold the 3.5" drive division to Toshiba.

So what is the consensus on 4tb Enterprise Drives?
I'm looking to upgrade an array on a production server with about 8 drives. We have had good luck with the Hitach Ultrastar 7K4000's, so will go with those again unless something else is worth looking at.

Thanks!

just an FYI bought 12 of these for a test env. ES3 1TB drives. 2 dead.

1 DOA and another just failed after sitting idle in the server fore about 1 month while it was off and just booted it backup today :(

Rather late, the V4 is replacing the ES.3 which has been out for a few years now and is much faster.
Maybe more robust too? time will tell.

That said I have a pair of the 1TB on the computer I am typing on in raid1, no issues and fairly fast for 7200k.

Back