Play an Unreal Engine 3 Demo in Your Browser

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mozilla just released a demo running on the Unreal Engine 3 called ‘Epic Citadel’, which although made for Firefox, will run on just about any standard browser. No extra components or plug-ins required. Check it out. :cool:

Yeah, tried both IE10 and the latest version of Opera. If it was possible to do it in these browsers before, it looks like they clamped down on that.

pushing the "try" button in Chrome results in the tab crashing. Ah well.

Make it for HTML5... not for a "browser" :rolleyes: ...if it has to be a browser, make it for IE.

They didn't target a single browser. It's just that Firefox is, for obvious reasons, more open to standards then the competition.

LMAO

This browser is currently unsupported. Please download Firefox 23 (Nightly) for an optimal experience.

Direct target if you ask me, ie, Firefox

Chrome has a known bug that crashes it. It will be fixed with time.
Microsoft has said they consider WebGL a security risk, although 11 may have partial support.

Nightly is recommended with firefox because it runs it faster but it should run with any of the current.

Ok, that seriously looks like ass compared to the PC version. Also the control scheme reminds me why phone games/touchscreen games are so terrible. :D

worked great in firefox on this machine... and I don't even have a graphics card or anythin... framerate was a bit choppy in places though :p

Works fine in Firefox 21.0 and benches around 51 fps on my game box. However when I went exploring the camera got stuck looking at the cobble stones and I couldn't make it pan upwards. WASD works fine for me as well.

wouldnt work for me in FF 21 so I downloaded Nightly 23 and still doesnt work. just says preparing javascript. I disabled all my addons and still no go.

Chrome has a known bug that crashes it. It will be fixed with time.
Microsoft has said they consider WebGL a security risk, although 11 may have partial support.

Nightly is recommended with firefox because it runs it faster but it should run with any of the current.

The only thing WebGL is a risk to is Microsoft's pocketbooks. If we were talking about WebX instead of WebGL, Microsoft would be all over it. But they will never support anything that allows people to make games that run on multiple platforms.

Surprisingly, it doesn't run half-bad on my laptop's Intel HD 3000. I'm getting 30FPS average full screen.

Is there any way to mouse look, or are we stuck with using click-drag or the arrow keys?

WebGL/Canvas rendering is not going to catch on. I don't even know why developers keep bothering.

In the current environment none of the major vendors are interested in platform agnostic games. Apple wants games for their ecosystem, Google for Android OS, and Microsoft for whatever it is they're promoting these days.

At the end of the day, installed game apps perform far better than anything you'd run in a browser.

Back