ATX HTPC Case Suggestions

CHUFLY29

Weaksauce
So my friend recently gifted me a Asus M4A7BT-E + Phenom II X4 965 (I think) left over from a previous setup. Since recently cutting cable, I've decided to put together an HTPC for recording OTA TV, and general movie watching. Since it's an ATX board, there seems to be a more limited field of options for a case. If anyone has case suggestions, I'd love to hear them! I'd like to spend at most $150 (for the case alone). Any help would be much appreciated!

I personally JUST bought an NMedia 5000B (The mATX variant), and it's INCREDIBLY roomy on the inside for an mATX chassis. They look pretty good as well asthetically.

The 5000B has an area for a little internal LCD screen as well - I opted out, it was $30 extra, though I may still get it eventually. You could probably mount an IR receiver in that little window instead. I just use an external USB IR receiver. Not a big deal for me.

I really like the 6000B for full ATX boards, in terms of visual appearance anyway.

That's an awesome looking case. Too bad it doesn't have a spot for a 5 1/4 optical drive. I use mine as a Blu Ray player as well. If you don't, that would be an awesome case. If you do I would suggest the Zalman HD501.

http://www.quietpcusa.com/Zalman-HD501-HTPC-Home-Theater-PC-Case-P646.aspx

I have the 503 and I love it. The only difference is that it has an LED screen and IR, which I wouldn't opt for in hindsight. I'm not a big fan of the nMedia cases. They seem really cheap to me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use one of these. The one without the display & remote, I modded it with the standard Microsoft IR device behind the window. I have 4 hard drives, an SSD, a blueray drive, 3 tuners, & a telephone modem for CallerID. It uses a Mini Ninja passively for the processor cooler with 1 80mm quiet case fan.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=85&area=en

I had this case in black with the remote. Great case. I upgraded to this case: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=138&area=en

Even better!

It takes a slim line OD. I bought a Blu Ray off Ebay for $34. Out of all the full size cases IMHO this one is the best overall.

You can't use an OD with a full ATX mobo in that case, microATX is the biggest you can go if you want to use one.

You can't use an OD with a full ATX mobo in that case, microATX is the biggest you can go if you want to use one.

I used both an OD and full size ATX with no issues. Granted its a slimline but it does work.

Interesting - I based that off several review and even the official specs that state an ODD can only be used with a mATX mobo. Good to know it fits with a full ATX, makes it a MUCH better case IMO.

Interesting - I based that off several review and even the official specs that state an ODD can only be used with a mATX mobo. Good to know it fits with a full ATX, makes it a MUCH better case IMO.

A full size OD cannot be used with ATX as far as I know. That limits the case for some users as not everyone likes the slimline drives. If I'm at my friends house I'll snap a few pics of the system I built for him.

A full size OD cannot be used with ATX as far as I know. That limits the case for some users as not everyone likes the slimline drives. If I'm at my friends house I'll snap a few pics of the system I built for him.

Ah, got it - I didn't realize a full size ODD could be used at all.

Back