Sony To Post First Annual Profit In 5 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
After selling a couple billion dollar buildings, Sony is set to post its first annual profit in 5 years. Hey, maybe Sony should get into real estate! ;)

The company sold its New York City headquarters earlier this year for $1.1 billion, which was estimated to generate net cash proceeds of about $770 million and help it pay off debt. Sony said that the weaker yen helped increase the value of its overseas earnings, and the company now expects to report a net profit of 40 billion yen for the fiscal year ended on March 31st.

Of course releasing a new console this year, means more losses are coming soon.

Of course releasing a new console this year, means more losses are coming soon.

If they sell it at a loss....I think pricing info on PS4s hardware details are still a bit unannouced along with the xbox 720. The only thing I think we known for sure about the PS4's hardware is 8GB of ram but that can be bought for ...~$29.95-39.95 in 4x2GB modules or 2x4GB modules...

However, if you are buying 1 million units in bulk I could imagine that cost being cut by 20-30% easily. Since everything is off-the-shelf though, I could see the PS4 being a mid-lvl gaming-pc thats around ~500USD sale price and costing ~500 to make. If I set the initial benchmark at a Dx11 compatible PC with 8GB of ram, I'm pretty sure one could easily find a video card, psu, cheap hd and cpu combo that fit in a ~500 price range if I threw in a request in the hardware forum on this website. It wouldn't be a top-of-the-line hardware enthusiast's dream -- but -- consoles are never in direct competition with PC hardware wise. With off the component parts, it's going to be pretty clear how much better PCs are in this generation imo.

The only thing I think we known for sure about the PS4's hardware is 8GB of ram but that can be bought for ...~$29.95-39.95 in 4x2GB modules or 2x4GB modules...

But it's GDDR5, so wont be be in modules, just chips (the biggest ones at the moment are 256mb ones, like on Titan, so 32 chips...unless theres a bigger capacity chip from somewhere). Though market prices that comsumers pay wont really be the same thing, probably will be much less than $40-50. :D

After selling a couple billion dollar buildings, Sony is set to post its first annual profit in 5 years. Hey, maybe Sony should get into real estate! ;)

I can't access the WSJ article, but I'm guessing the net profit is a one time deal due to proceeds generated from the sale. Sony is still operating at a net loss once you take out asset sales.

Back