Stolen Credit Card Used To Bid On Coffee With Tim Cook

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know about you, but the only way I could have coffee with Tim Cook is to report my card stolen afterwards. $600k for coffee?!?! :eek:

The Internet was all abuzz last week when Apple announced it was auctioning off a coffee date with CEO Tim Cook for charity. But whoever submitted last week’s high bid of $605,000 is likely going to get a date with law enforcement instead — the charity says the bidding is back at $600,000 today after discovering the high bidder used a stolen credit card.

I find it more impressive that they had a credit card with a $600,000 limit :eek:

Lots of cards are unlimited :p

yeah they're owned by very rich people who can throw down half a million and have no problem paying the CC company back. I'm fairly certain I'd have a fairly hard time convincing a CC company to give me a card with no limit.

Lots of cards are unlimited :p

The first thing many card companies will do if you complain about their rates or services is jack up your limit ridiculously...even though you're fine with your limit and pissed about the interest rate.

That better be some damn good coffee, and Tim Cook better have a pretty awesome doggy bag full with all kinds of gadgets to hand out afterwards.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of having so much money that you would drop over half a million dollars just to have coffee with someone. I truly believe that there is such a thing as having too much money.

They would have to pay me well to have coffee with him.

Yes, for about $600k I'd have coffee with whatever his face... He doesn't seem very interesting, so it would be down to the usual mind games to get people to sing songs.

Pretty sure it would go something like this:

"hey so... hmm... Tim, what's your companies next whatever?"
"we're searching for someone's ideas right now"
"that's nice"
"yeah we're looking at technology from the last 10 years and trying to find something old that can be new again, most companies recycle waste, we don't, we recycle other peoples ideas"
"that's nice, how about inventing something, you know, original?"
"that's a noble idea, but it's too easy, so we innovate in a harder way by re-innovating, it's much harder the 2nd and third time"
"that's nice, changing the subject, why is OSX, Safari, QuickTime and every other program you make such junk"
"because well, and keep this a secret, we're completely incompetent"
"I'm not sure I can keep that a secret"
"well here's some money for you..."
"well, here's the thing, it's not really a secret already"
"if I give you money will you pretend it is"
"no"
"10k"
"no"
"100k"
"no"
"20% shares"
"no..."
"what then"
"sing a song"
"what?"
"do it."
(song is sang)
"that was terrible"
"yes but you'll keep it a secret?"
"that wasn't the deal"

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of having so much money that you would drop over half a million dollars just to have coffee with someone. I truly believe that there is such a thing as having too much money.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/09/investing/buffett-auction-lunch/index.htm ... true, if you had that much you should be saving for the Warren Buffett lunch auction (went for 3.5 mil last year) :D

At these prices I think it will be mostly developers or someone associated with Apple as a business where you might be able to use the coffee to discuss something that affects your business... I think any sort of enthusiast was excluded once the bidding exceeded 4 figures ... also, I think this is still considered a charitable deduction so it is deductible :p

Microsoft is probably the top bidder. Tim Cook will probably have coffee by himself.

I wouldn't pay the kind of money to have coffee with anyone on this planet. Charity or not, that is just plain stupid.

Wasn't there a news article a couple weeks ago saying how pissed shareholders are with Cook? The financial world scuttle is that Cook is on his way out

Back