Opera Sues Ex-Employee For $3.4M

HardOCP News

[H] News
Opera is suing an ex-employee for $3.4 million for allegedly taking trade secrets to Mozilla.

Hansen is a former employee and consultant of Opera Software ASA. Opera Software ASA is of the opinion that Hansen, after he left Opera, has acted contrary to his contractual and other legal obligations towards Opera, among other things, the duty of loyalty and his contractual and statutory confidentiality obligations.

What "trade secrets" could he possibly have stolen from Opera? How to make a crappy browser, perhaps?

LOL

I've wondered how you can properly move to another company (competitor) without using confidential/trade secrets. It's obvious the reason a competitor is hiring you is because of your knowledge in the competing product...is the key just how well you/the new company can hide using the confidential information you possess?

It used to be you could just keep your mouth shut when leaving and be fine. But that's harder and harder to pull off these days. Online profile - gotcha. Friendly with a co-worker - gotcha.

Of course, if corporations didn't have the countries by the balls - they'd you know, have to take care of their employees so they wouldn't WANT to leave, and spill proprietary info. But naaaah, we'll just buy the system and try to enforce bull$hit employment contracts...

Perhaps if opera invested in making a decent browser instead of suing everyone....I guess they prefer the Apple methodology.

I've wondered how you can properly move to another company (competitor) without using confidential/trade secrets. It's obvious the reason a competitor is hiring you is because of your knowledge in the competing product...is the key just how well you/the new company can hide using the confidential information you possess?
Actually people have skill sets that are of value. Especially in the technical arena. People aren't hired always for what they know or who they know, but what they can do. It does happen, but not enough.

It ultimately goes back to two kinds of people in the work world. People who work on their job and people who work on their careers. If you're not good at the former, you work on the latter. Hence you get the management you get these days.

Back