Turn a Standard LCD Monitor into a Touchscreen

As was said, no fingerprint smudges all over my monitor. That and it's much more comfortable to keep my arm on the desk and use a mouse than it would be to hold my arm up to the monitor for any extended length of time.

I like my monitor without fingerprints all over it. I must be crazy....

Yeah, I want to put my hands all over a $1300 monitor.

If any of you tardo's bothered to read the article, the technology they are using to employ this is pretty damned amazing. The implementations of this technology could be pretty impressive in the future.

If any of you tardo's bothered to read the article, the technology they are using to employ this is pretty damned amazing. The implementations of this technology could be pretty impressive in the future.

I saw a video with fingers and monitors, titled "Turning a standard LCD monitor into touchscreen with a $5 wall-mounted sensor".
Future and alternative applications of the tech might be cool, just not on my monitor.

Cool technology but not really something even us [H]ardOCP users will commonly find uses for.

As its been explained I do not want finger prints all over my monitor nor do I feel like using a touchscreen in such a manner. I like touchscreens where I generally expect them , phones and tablets. Otherwise it feels clunky.

Fingerprints are my #1 excuse. I bought a Lenovo Twist touchscreen laptop/convertible. Biggest complaint? Fingerprints and dirty screen. It's very nice, and I love the touchscreen aspect. But, when it comes to the screen, it's difficult to get past. :/

It has a lot of applications, though. You can do a lot with a touchscreen.

no one wants to mention the rediculous latency?

it's very cool that they can do that... crazy even, but it's nothing more than a proof of concept/experiment, i don't see this tech making it's way into anyones touchscreen...

it is kind of mindblowing.... when you think you understand how electricity works an article comes out like this and it just sounds/looks like magic...

My monitor is clean.

I just used code "DRAFT50" for 50% off Papajohns order, which I am presently enjoying.

My monitor is clean.

This, I'm not rubbing my hands all over my monitor just to replicate what my space bar does.

no one wants to mention the rediculous latency?

it's very cool that they can do that... crazy even, but it's nothing more than a proof of concept/experiment, i don't see this tech making it's way into anyones touchscreen...

it is kind of mindblowing.... when you think you understand how electricity works an article comes out like this and it just sounds/looks like magic...

Yeah, did you read the part about turning the light bulbs into sensors?

Imagine in the future it being able to tell exactly where you are in a room based on triangulation using multiple lightbulbs.

Hell this makes Tony Starks computer screens from IronMan pretty believable.

Even the best touchscreens are cumbersome and slow. My excuse is I have a keyboard and mouse. This post would have taken 20x the time to type and post on my touchscreen phone.

Cheese to go with that whine, gentlemen?

No worries keep going backwards, I always bet on tech :cool:

I guess what people don't realize is that the touchscreen doesn't have to be the primary display... :rolleyes:

Even the best touchscreens are cumbersome and slow. My excuse is I have a keyboard and mouse. This post would have taken 20x the time to type and post on my touchscreen phone.
Not to mention that I can rest my arms comfortably in an ergonomic position to use my mouse and keyboard.

I don't want to have to hunch my back over a screen, and still would have nothing to rest my arms on if I did.

So a touchscreen for my walmounted 30" monitor would have me tired with my outstretched arms typing this in, although I guess you could argue its good exercise?

suits_primates_5755-01.jpg

What if the tech is old and has been tried before (and failed because it still has the exact same problems with usuability etc.)? :p

If it was so crappy, we'd all be using mice to use our cell phone. The technology is fine. Use it when it's convenient, use the keyboard and mouse when the job warrants it. Problem solved.

I'm doing this to my laptop first. If it works as advertised then I'll do it to the 30" LCD on my main gaming rig. A kit of GE LCD/Plasma screen cleaner works wonders.

If it was so crappy, we'd all be using mice to use our cell phone. The technology is fine. Use it when it's convenient, use the keyboard and mouse when the job warrants it. Problem solved.

The difference is that you aren't holding the monitor in your palm like you do with a phone.
A touchscreen on a desktop monitor is just as impractical as a mouse on a smartphone.

Touchscreen tech is decades old--it is not "going forwards".

This "tech" is based on the way touchscreens already work--it's not new at all. Although this particular implementation claims to be 96%+ effective, the software only recognizes a total of five gestures--so not really a "touchscreen" at all.

Like so many other people here--I try and keep fingerprints and dirt and grease off of my monitor--have no interest whatever in "touching" it. Touchscreen monitors give the term "touchy-feely" a whole new definition.

As was said, no fingerprint smudges all over my monitor. That and it's much more comfortable to keep my arm on the desk and use a mouse than it would be to hold my arm up to the monitor for any extended length of time.

This. People lay their arms down on their desks and all kinds of wrist, arm and elbow injuries result. Cant wait to see what kinds of injuries this will introduce.

My $400 monitor WILL very visible pickup grease from skin-based touch. I have to clean it every now and then because I have yet to break my bad habits.

Luddites. Who would think they are on the H? Remember Minority Report? How about having to use a pen for a PDA?
I want one of these so I can walk in, gesture, and have my TV go on, the heat go up or down, and my frig chill my beer just a little colder.
I predict within 6 months there will be kits and fixes you couldn't believe. Mix this with the Occulus?

*shudder*...I HATE it when people touch my monitor (usually some co-worker who think they need to jab the screen to point out something that is painfully obvious anyway). glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Luddites. Who would think they are on the H? Remember Minority Report?

Actually, I do know Minority report. I also know someone who researches and builds interfaces for companies and for interactive displays etc. etc. They built the whole minority report style display (more than one), then tried it out. It was a disaster every time. Mainly because peoples arms get tired and a bunch of other stuff, but also due to the inaccuracy, limited usability and UI limitations.

Sometimes stuff that looks "good" in movies, doesn't work in real life. Otherwise you could haxor anything by typing lots.

Plus touchscreens users are arguably more luddite than any other interface (people wanting to get back to their primitive routes than embrace technology to do things in a more efficient way). :p

Luddites. Who would think they are on the H? Remember Minority Report? How about having to use a pen for a PDA?
I want one of these so I can walk in, gesture, and have my TV go on, the heat go up or down, and my frig chill my beer just a little colder.
I predict within 6 months there will be kits and fixes you couldn't believe. Mix this with the Occulus?

Minority report? Ha, that's the worst UI ever. It's huge, unwieldy, would be tiring and slow to use.

As for the other things you mention... wouldn't you rather walk in and give voice commands? I don't want to walk in to a room and have to start doing Tai Chi to make things happen. Gesturing to turn things on is remarkably similar to pressing a button to make things turn on. We've had centralised control devices for a while and even the ability to turn things on with motion sensors and the like for years, they still haven't found their way in to many homes because people have very little problem walking in and spending a few seconds flicking a few switches and saving thousands of dollars set up cost.

I had a palm device a while back. They tried to sell me a screen protector with it. I declined. After a week of use, I regretted it. I could already see permanent marks on the screen, so I got one. I've pretty much hated touch screens since then. Although my experience with this started at Disney where they had them in kiosks to help people find stuff. They were horribly abused and you could barely make anything out on them due to all the dirt.

I think touch screens are ok on small devices that people wind up throwing out after a couple years. But my desktop monitors, I've had for years now. There's no reason to replace them. There WOULD be if I actually touched them, though. Perhaps this is what they're trying to get me to do? Is there a slump in monitor sales, currently?

Back