Google: More Government Removal Requests Than Ever Before

HardOCP News

[H] News
This seems like one of those times where setting a record isn't necessarily a good thing.

As we’ve gathered and released more data over time, it’s become increasingly clear that the scope of government attempts to censor content on Google services has grown. In more places than ever, we’ve been asked by governments to remove political content that people post on our services. In this particular time period, we received court orders in several countries to remove blog posts criticizing government officials or their associates.

Oh man, starting to sound like China. Next thing u know, everything be censored.

Yes. China is not a good country to be taking tips from when it comes to censorship. The US is getting just as bad with the whole censorship. Obama claimed a more transparent administration, but they are pushing for the opposite.

Yes, it's other countries, too. But, the Internet was to be an open network. I wouldn't censor shit. Leave it there. The Internet is world wide. It's legal somewhere. Don't like it? Censor it yourself, buy a good proxy... Wait, China does that, too.

If this was about Hollywood, I'd chime in with the usual "charge per request", and add "charge even more per bogus request". But since this is about gov't, that idea is pointless, because they play these games with OUR money. :(

If this was about Hollywood, I'd chime in with the usual "charge per request", and add "charge even more per bogus request". But since this is about gov't, that idea is pointless, because they play these games with OUR money. :(

Actually the current practice is: Its the Gov, mark price up 10,000% then only take down half the content, like remove only vowels from the blog post. Then no one can read it!

Actually the current practice is: Its the Gov, mark price up 10,000% then only take down half the content, like remove only vowels from the blog post. Then no one can read it!
Why do I have a sudden urge to buy a vowel? :p

I knew Brazil would be there... The politicians regularly steal, commit voter fraud, etc and then hide behind the rules they themselves created... Filthy scum.

I am not sure why everyone is picking on the US government for these ... they didn't make most of the requests ... it looks as if the vast majority are foreign governments and even the majority of the US requests appear to be local governments and not the Feds ... the Federal government requests appeared to be on the behalf of foreign governments (treaty obligations) and copyright violations :confused:

See how sneaky they are? They group a bunch of things together so when they grace us with a change of mind on one of the items it makes it seem as if we are gaining something rather than losing something.

Back