Supermicro Super Quiet (SQ) Series?

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried out any of the platinum certified SQ power supplies in their Supermicro case? If so, how quiet is "super quiet?" I'm about to update my home server and I'm deciding between going Norco (4224)/Habey (ESC-4242C) or Supermicro (SC846BA-R920B). Right now I'm struggling with the tradeoff between the potential quality issues of Norco/Habey (especially the well documented backplane issues) vs the loudness of a Supermicro. If these new SQ power supplies bring the noise of a Supermicro down close to that of a Norco/Habey (with a quiet desktop psu, aftermarket fans, etc), then I'll spend the extra dollars to get the higher quality case.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I have a SM case with one of those PSU in it. In general it is pretty quiet, but when inside the SM case is completely pointless since the Delta fans can wake the dead :D

I have a SM case with one of those PSU in it. In general it is pretty quiet, but when inside the SM case is completely pointless since the Delta fans can wake the dead :D

Thanks for the insight. I'm less concerned about the delta fans - I'll either use a fan controller or replace them with something quieter. With regard to the PSU, how quiet is "pretty quiet", say compared to a normal desktop? I've only found videos online of the old power supplies, and they make the case sound like a hair dryer. If the new PSUs aren't as high pitched, I could be sold.

I have a SM case (847E1-R1400LPB) with two PWS-1K41P-1R, not even SQ, and it's quiet. 402blownstroker is correct in that the case fans are where the noise makes a difference. My case has seven 7K Nidec 80x80x33 mm fans that I tried to live with for about 10 minutes before deciding I needed to replace or quiet them somehow. I'd suggest a PWM fan controller before replacing them because all the SM fan housings i've seen are impossible to remove the fans without damaging them in some way and at a low duty cycle they can still be quiet and get some decent airflow.

Edit: My PWS-1K41P-1R power supplies when plugged in the fans will always be on at a low setting, not sure if it would be the same for the PWS-920P-SQ, but something to keep in mind.

A PWM fan controller circuit described here can be built for cheap and can power all the fans.

Last edited:
Back