SimCity Patch Introduces More Bugs

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know that massive SimCity patch that was supposed to fix everything? It went about as well as you can expect. By the way, have fun with your town overflowing with sewage.

Just as EA and Maxis seemed ready to put launch issues to bed and march onwards with the development of their “MMO”, SimCity’s 2.0 patch has infused the game with a colourful array of shiny new bugs. Fans have taken to Reddit and official forums to decry the mess, which has left some cities literally overflowing with waste.

It's in the game! ***

***Including and limited to: shitty DRM, bugs, overpriced DLCs

If they really understood why this game was so broken, they wouldn't have made it that way in the first place.

Well since simcity has been tortured, burned, and pretty much killed -- what ripe awesome game franchise will they move onto next? THey have to be running out of AAA titles to butcher for a quick buck by now.

Glad they tested this fix on a mirrored test server and client setup...Oh wait.

I have to hand it to EA for accurately simulating how the federal government treats local municipalities.

I'd laugh harder, except I'm one of the suckers who bought this (literal as of 2.0) pile of shit.

I shall not purchase Tiger or Madden ever again. Amen.

What a mess for such a beloved franchise. Its going to take another developer years to clean up this crap up and the IP might be damaged beyond repair.

From a business standpoint there is a reason why companies spend so much on brand building. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up using another name for any future city building games or get out of the genre altogether. Any sales numbers out for this game? I haven't seen EA pimp this thing lately. Wonder if sales are terrible.

Some of those bugs sound almost...deliberate. Pissed off devs?

If they ever fix the majority of issues they should then be fired and banned from making anymore games. Looks like I'm adding these people to my Jay Wilson no buy list.

I can't help but shake my head in embarrassment for them over this. It's like they learned how to code from the Java team or some of them ended up over there and took their shitty habits with them.

Uggg.... I played again last night (bought it on sale for $20, never pay full retail!), still has a lot of problems. Lost a couple cities after an attempted roll back after it failed to sync with servers or some shit. Maybe they made the game so bad, there is no easy fix for a lot of this stuff. It's just so bad, you can't 'fix' something without breaking something else.

It's an ok game when it works, but when they break things that worked previously because they try to fix something else, that's fucked up. The game isn't getting any better.

EA should be embarrassed. I fell for the sale, and I'm glad I did. Proved to me that I shouldn't buy any EA crap again. At least I won't be disappointed again. IF they can fix this game, I'd be impressed and grateful. But, I still doubt I'd buy from them again.

As much as I hate EA and this type of DRM, I love these types of games and it doesn't take much for me to enjoy it.

Because of all the initial problems and the inflated price, I waited and picked it up for $20 on the last sale, and personally I haven't had any problems except for a sewage bug which was easy enough to detect (it got stuck, created a bubble, and I just demolished the road and rebuilt it).

I love strategy games and this is no exception, and the city being small I think was done on purpose so you can focus and specialize and not just create a monster in a quantity over quality style. That's the same reason I don't just try and maximize the XYZ goal (population, income, etc) and instead prefer interesting cities where when you are done you can go... damn, that's pretty cool.

Some of those bugs sound almost...deliberate. Pissed off devs?

No they just want to see what they can get away with from you suckers who keep buying their shit ass products year after year. I guarantee you that next year when SimCity 2014 is released a bunch of you guys will gobble that shit up and give EA and Maxis a reacharound and tell them how wonderful they are.

It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad. I'm going to break out my SimCity2000... if my wife doesn't trouble me for playing Tropico 4.

No they just want to see what they can get away with from you suckers who keep buying their shit ass products year after year.
You don't have to like your drug dealer to keep buying the drugs. And hell, a movie night for two of us costs me what $30. For $20, I've already played this for probably 10hrs. I wanted to like Cities XL instead, but doesn't have the same feel.

Where is Will Wright when we need him?

There are a few interview style videos where Will Wright sat with the current Maxis people and they're somewhat awkward to watch. Will was overly polite and seemed to want to put a nice spin on it for the sake of the legacy of the SimCity name but you could tell he was like "WTF have you guys done".

Will: "I did have one concern and that was the city size which felt a little cramped"
Ocean Quigley: "Well you know we tried to focus on quality over the quantity here"

Will: "I did have one concern and that was the city size which felt a little cramped"
Ocean Quigley: "Well you know we tried to focus on quality over the quantity here"
That may be the most insane thing I'll read this week.

i could play with the game before, but now it just crashes to desktop. wtf

As much as I hate EA and this type of DRM, I love these types of games and it doesn't take much for me to enjoy it.

Because of all the initial problems and the inflated price, I waited and picked it up for $20 on the last sale, and personally I haven't had any problems except for a sewage bug which was easy enough to detect (it got stuck, created a bubble, and I just demolished the road and rebuilt it).

I love strategy games and this is no exception, and the city being small I think was done on purpose so you can focus and specialize and not just create a monster in a quantity over quality style. That's the same reason I don't just try and maximize the XYZ goal (population, income, etc) and instead prefer interesting cities where when you are done you can go... damn, that's pretty cool.

Thanks for perpetuating shit, buddy. Also that whole last paragraph better be sarcastic, for the sake of humanity.

Thanks for perpetuating shit, buddy. Also that whole last paragraph better be sarcastic, for the sake of humanity.
Well what would be the point of optimizing density and coming up with unique and innovative city designs if you can achieve the same just filling out a larger map which at some point also becomes hard to overview.

And remember, its designed so you can even follow little individual dudes around on their daily routine, just for fun or to see how the commute and locations and everything are, right at street level with a great amount of detail.

8679424536_0f9aa2f6a4_z.jpg

And remember, the emphasis here is supposed to be on either:
1) Multiplayer trade (I don't like this)
2) Building and specializing multiple cities

It takes me quite a while just to build up one decent specialized city. On some of these zones you have room for 9 and trading between them to optimize each. That's a lot of realestate, and if each were truly massive in scale it would become too much to manage multiple of those in a reasonable time frame.

Cliffs Notes: If it weren't for the full-retard launch and Origin/Always-On bullshit DRM, the game itself would be better received. And that is why people are pissed off if anyone actually says anything good about the gameplay, because they are hoping that a "unionized" consumer-base that all agree not to buy the game will force EA to abandon such practices. Personally, I think that's bullshit wishful thinking as most people don't invest that much thought into a $30 game.

I don't get it. How could the screw up a game as easy to sell as Sim City. I really wanted to play this game. How Frustrating.

Well what would be the point of optimizing density and coming up with unique and innovative city designs if you can achieve the same just filling out a larger map which at some point also becomes hard to overview.
The point would be real limitations and considerations which city planners deal with each day in the real world. Since the simulations are so retarded in this game, you're right--there would be no point.
And remember, its designed so you can even follow little individual dudes around on their daily routine, just for fun or to see how the commute and locations and everything are, right at street level with a great amount of detail.
But they're fuckin' retarded... so what's the point in watching them?

The point would be real limitations and considerations which city planners deal with each day in the real world.
I thought the point was that this was supposed to be a fun game, not a city simulator.

There are Godzilla and Alien attacks... I thought that made the realism expectations pretty clear from the getgo.

I live in Houston, and if we had realistic map sizes we'd have to micromanage 600 square miles of city, and that's just not fun. There is a reason that in real life people are paid to do this job and its broken down into various departments that all have specific divided responsibilities. Too much for one "God mayor".

I am sooo glad I didn't bite on this game. Loved Sim2k back in the day. Still play it on occasion. Had high hopes for this.

im sure when my kid is in college they will have case studies on EA and what not to do.

Back