27" QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 impressions

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
Its another Korean budget monitor yes but this one has a Samsung PLS panel and most overclock 100hz+ easily (mine does 110hz without issue).

I got my QX2710 in 2 days from South Korea (incredibly impressive shipping speed) and it came well packaged and there are some flaws to discuss. Cost for me was $317 and I bought the SquareTrade Warranty to cover my ass against any failures.

The monitor's casing or bezel is lose on one side and doesn't press firmly against the panel. This is not abnormal for this monitor brand it seems , you can fix it with a little work and I plan to do so.

Mine came without any dead pixels (at least that I could easily see , ignorance is bliss in this regard) and overclocks very nicely. I wouldn't rate these as the best of the Korean selection but they work and most importantly for me come with a Matte panel option (no glossy for me but they do offer it if you want it).

I highly recommend these panels for anyone willing to take the risk. The fact that it overclocks so easily and has nice deep blacks compared to its IPS cousins is a bonus. Now of course I'm sure if someone like NCX got his hands on it he could rip it apart for various flaws and rightfully so but if you are in the market , this is a very good way to get a 1440p panel on the cheap.

The Ebay seller I got it through was called : hulustar , somewhat new but the panels seems like a great deal at $317.

Does it drop frames? Take a picture or video of the mouse and see if the mouse suddenly teleports.

If this is good, I might have to buy one.

Does it drop frames? Take a picture or video of the mouse and see if the mouse suddenly teleports.

It hasn't dropped any frames , its completely solid. At 120hz it started to give visual artifacts so I bumped it down. Others have been able to run it at 120hz without issue but honestly its such a small difference in smoothness it doesn't matter.

Also I bought the extra thick 24 gauge Dual Link DVI cable from monoprice which seems to help according to a few recommendations.

Video : http://youtu.be/HAd8zhKkSlI

It's a real overclockable one. This coming from a skeptic. Who now owns both a Catleap "2B" and a QNIX.

How is the matte coating? I'm guessing these have the same grainy coating Samsung puts on their TN's.

TFT Central's DGM review has stand removal instructions.

How is the matte coating? I'm guessing these have the same grainy coating Samsung puts on their TN's.

TFT Central's DGM review has stand removal instructions.

I don't really notice any heavy AG coating if that's what you are asking so it could be similar to the coating on their TN panels. Anyway I can easily check for the difference? I can tell you its A LOT less aggressive than the coating on the U2410.

I know it has a VESA mount on the back and the stand it comes with is just "ok" , not incredibly stable but serviceable.

Its the real deal guys and only for $317 versus $600 almost for overlord versions of it and similar for the Catleap 2B.

I would act on it NOW before they are all gone if you are interested but just know that its not a perfect monitor , there will be flaws but for what you are paying they are acceptable.

Do you still have the Acer GD235HZ? It should have a similar coating. Here is a VG248QE which has a typical TN coating.

VG23AH and Samsung PLS with 2 different kinds of semi-glossy coating

A "realistic" (use manual settings) photo of the Qnix next to either the Acer or Dell when turned off would help

Last edited:
Its pretty much like the ASUS VG248QE in the first picture. So that's what I would reference it too. I gave the Acer to a friend as a gift so I no longer have it.

Wow OP, thanks for risking it and sharing your results.

But son of A....now there are purchasing decisions to be made :(

This monitor, or the 2880x1620 monitors due to be released, but by the time they are released, this Qnix will either disappear, raise in price, or a different rev videoboard will have been installed.

Anyone seriously considering this monitor ought to purchase it right away, before the videoboards are swapped out with a revision change and you lose 100hz capability. You may have a tight time window for that.

I purchased the matte version last week. It was shipped within a day, but got stuck at US customs for about four days. Anyway, it was delivered yesterday with the packaging perfectly intact. Total cost was $298.

It doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels. Back light bleed is low enough to be not worth bothering about. My Dell 2408WFP has about the same, and 2005WFP had more. The image looks good, with no zones (nonuniform brightness, banding etc)

I only overclocked it to 80Hz, using ToastyX's CRU, and without patching the driver to raise the pixel clock. There's no frame skipping. It's a genuine 80Hz refresh rate. I plan to test higher rates later.

Didn't have any issues with HDCP either. I am able to play encrypted cable channels within WMC without any problems.

The monitor has brightness controls, and volume controls for the internal speaker which I don't plan to use. Scaling non-native resolutions is completely up to the graphic card, and it works well (GPU scaling, preserving aspect ratio) The BIOS screen shows up, and it's a non-UEFI BIOS.

The monitor comes with a 3ft dual link DVI cable. I'll see if I need a higher grade cable, once I go above 100Hz.

It's a great monitor and has exactly the features I wanted. I was even prepared to have a couple of dead pixels, so having a perfect pixel panel is a great bonus.

The Ebay sellers have the pixel-perfect versions (which can have 0-2 dead or stuck pixels). They charge about $30-50 higher for these panels. I got a regular but tested panel, and was told that these panels can have 0-5 such anomalies.

The use of Samsung PLS panel is confirmed. It's not a wide-gamut monitor, which is actually a plus for me. There are bunch of color profiles floating around. Running default settings on Catalyst color configuration, I get a decent image (perhaps needs to be a bit warmer)

Now let's talk about the negatives. The stand is very flimsy. I don't think the monitor can tip over, and it doesn't shake or rattle while you use the keyboard, but it just barely serves the purpose. There's a glass stem coming out of the monitor that attaches to the stand. When I put a VESA mount stand, that glass stem will still be sticking out. It can be removed by opening the back cover.

Bigger issue however is that the panel isn't firmly seated withing the bezel frame. It moves if you press the panel edge, just a little bit. At least for the monitor I got, the panel needs to be raised up a couple of millimeters, as there is a very very thin gap between the top bezel edge and the image. These issues alone aren't enough for me to open the monitor, but since I'll have to do it anyway to remove the stem, I might as well fix the panel seating.

If you don't rotate the monitor, and don't need an adjustable stand, the basic housing should work. Even if you are attaching a new stand, and are not bothered with the small stem sticking out, there's still no need to open the back cover.

The negatives are very minor issues compared to the excellent picture quality, higher refresh rates, and low input lag.

Excellent impression. I'm sure you'll be able to hit at least 96hz as everyone who has bought it has been able to do so with little to no effort.

Hell of a deal for $317 when consider how many have shelled out $600+ for panel that "could" hit 120hz.

A bit of information heard from other forums , Dreamseller has already began to increase the cost of these monitors so its been my observation that if one starts the others will follow.

So if you are interested in this monitor now is the time. Just remember there is a risk but if it works (which it does the vast majority of the time) its easily worth it.

Amazon is also offering it for $350 : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Got mine from hulustar in two days. Got the glossy version. No dead/stuck pixels, some backlight bleed at the top. Oced to 115 no problem. Doesn't have the lose housing people have mentioned, but the housing does look poorly constructed.

Haven't really noticed a difference in color vs my achieva shimian. I will say it looks a bit fuzzier? or something. Maybe i just need to tweak windows clear type.

Got mine from hulustar in two days. Got the glossy version. No dead/stuck pixels, some backlight bleed at the top. Oced to 115 no problem. Doesn't have the lose housing people have mentioned, but the housing does look poorly constructed.

Haven't really noticed a difference in color vs my achieva shimian. I will say it looks a bit fuzzier? or something. Maybe i just need to tweak windows clear type.

Nice. Calibrate that sucker if you have the equipment , it'll help. They must have been listening to the complaints more recently and stopped shipping monitors with lose fitting housing. Lucky sod as well since you got 115hz :)

You should at the very least go to this website : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ and adjust your settings via the Nvidia/AMD control panels for color/brightness/contrast/gamma and that should give you a nice and decent start. I've seen the Shimian in person and I think the Qnix has deeper blacks compared to it. Also the Shimian I saw had awful backlight bleeding.

What is the input lag at?

Well I can't give you any official measurements since I lack the equipment but its only a single input monitor so there is no other type of processing getting in the way of the signal to and from the monitor so from what I can physically tell its non-existent in terms of actually noticing in general gaming. I'm personally pretty sensitive to high input latency so I think I could tell if it was easy to notice. However we all react differently to input latency so what might be acceptable for me might not be for you.

NCX might be getting one of these soon and I'm sure he'll do a proper testing however keep in mind we have no idea how long these overclockable PCB's will be used on these monitors. It could end anytime soon so if getting the higher refresh rate for the much cheaper cost is paramount for you consider getting one now before the model with the currently used PCB is gone.

Last edited:
Looks like there is alot of these Korean panels on Amazon. Good news for those not wanting to buy direct from Korea on eBay!

Well I can't give you any official measurements since I lack the equipment but its only a single input monitor so there is no other type of processing getting in the way of the signal to and from the monitor so from what I can physically tell its non-existent in terms of actually noticing in general gaming. I'm personally pretty sensitive to high input latency so I think I could tell if it was easy to notice. However we all react differently to input latency so what might be acceptable for me might not be for you.

NCX might be getting one of these soon and I'm sure he'll do a proper testing however keep in mind we have no idea how long these overclockable PCB's will be used on these monitors. It could end anytime soon so if getting the higher refresh rate for the much cheaper cost is paramount for you consider getting one now before the model with the currently used PCB is gone.
Yes, direct connect DVI boards (no multi input board w/scaler) will have very low input lag, 1/2 frame or less.

I realize there is a tiny chance that this monitor may be an exception, but in my book no input lag test is necessary unless someone is fickle about a millisecond or two ~ 4ms vs 6ms etc.

If it were me, i'd focus on other aspects of this monitor.

here is what I got on this monitor:

71z2E7YUS3L._SL1000_.jpg

By the way before I took off for the next few days I tried 120hz again to see if the flicker was still there and its gone now. So I'm getting a solid 120hz with no visual errors! I think my cable wasn't seated as tight as it could be so that *might* have fixed it.

Good news!

By the way before I took off for the next few days I tried 120hz again to see if the flicker was still there and its gone now. So I'm getting a solid 120hz with no visual errors! I think my cable wasn't seated as tight as it could be so that *might* have fixed it.

Good news!

Mine will work fine for a while, then I'll notice scan lines at the very top of my display when certain programs are maximized (windows programs, not games). I backed off to 96Hz for now. I might order a cable from monoprice.

Mine will work fine for a while, then I'll notice scan lines at the very top of my display when certain programs are maximized (windows programs, not games). I backed off to 96Hz for now. I might order a cable from monoprice.

Well they can't all be winners for the price :) Still a hell of a deal anyway. When I get back home I hook up this monitor via the cable provided by the Ebay seller and see if there is an actual difference in what Hz I can achieve. I can tell you the 24 gauge DL-DVI cable monoprice provides is a monster. Its incredibly thick , heavy and very well shielded and from what it seems sometimes when overclocking monitors the cable can be the limiting factor if its of poor quality.

I wonder how long they will have the PCB in stock on these models. Now that people know this is "Celeron 333mhz" of the 1440p Korean monitors people will be snatching them up left and right versus paying $800 for the Catleap 2B or $600+ for the Overlord.

I just joined to say that my Qnix QX2710 monitor arrived today in great shape - I have observed no dead pixels and it looks amazing all around. I was a bit surprised that there are no adjustment options other than brightness. That said, the default colors/contrast/etc are quite good when compared to my 25" HP next to it. The blacks are just as dark. There's a bit of edge bleed on completely black screens but it is only slightly worse than the HP.

The build quality is quite cheap as the 'frame' surrounding the screen seems to 'jiggle' a bit when you pick it up - others have posted video of this on other forums. And there's no adjustment for pivoting the screen or changing height. But the base is sturdy so i've just propped an old CD case under the back of it to pivot it the direction I want haha.

I got the matte version for 317 from hulustar on Ebay. The tracking info shows that it left Korea on the 29th and was delivered to me in Texas on the 30th!

Welcome to the club :)

Its a pretty great deal when you consider the cost. My casing was also pretty flimsy but I knew this was a possibility a head of time. Outside of the lousy casing I really don't have many complaints , when you consider the alternative to this and having it be at least $300+ more then this is great deal.

What refresh rate did you get yours to overclock to?

Mine arrived from hulustar in 2 days.

Plenty consider 96Hz a nice all-around sweet spot anyway even if you don't have trouble with 120. Some early speculation that there may be some heat-related limitations/difficulties happening too.

Plenty consider 96Hz a nice all-around sweet spot anyway even if you don't have trouble with 120. Some early speculation that there may be some heat-related limitations/difficulties happening too.

From what I've read at varying forums putting a fan directly on the back of the monitor makes zero difference so heat probably isn't the issue its just luck of the draw with these monitors.

There have been reports of people getting to 133hz without any artifacts at all but who knows how long that overclock would last. As a rule of thumb and just to be safe even if I could do 133hz I wouldn't I would stick with 120hz in case that extra 13hz just stressed the PCB way to far.

96hz is still excellent as well. If you watch movies on it you will not see the usual judder motion commonly a problem at 60hz because 96 is a multiple of 24 (so is 120) so you'll get the right render rate and it should make for an excellent viewing experience.

It fucking floors me that this monitor got from South Korea to NY state in 2 days when I read the DHL tracking information. It reminds me that we really live in an age of true modern marvels.

Is there a place for me to read up on overclocking this monitor?

Welcome to the club :)

Its a pretty great deal when you consider the cost. My casing was also pretty flimsy but I knew this was a possibility a head of time. Outside of the lousy casing I really don't have many complaints , when you consider the alternative to this and having it be at least $300+ more then this is great deal.

What refresh rate did you get yours to overclock to?

I have not done any overclocking of the monitor so it is at 60Hz. I can't say I've ever overclocked any monitor for that matter. Could you recommend software for doing so? I have a Radeon HD7950; not sure if that matters.

Is there a place for me to read up on overclocking this monitor?

I have not done any overclocking of the monitor so it is at 60Hz. I can't say I've ever overclocked any monitor for that matter. Could you recommend software for doing so? I have a Radeon HD7950; not sure if that matters.

Here is the Nvidia guide (via Youtube video with links) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPIPuSSkGo

Here is the AMD guide (via Youtube video with links) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJV9IXT5DkQ

These guides are for the Catleap 2B but it doesn't make any difference , the method is exactly the same.

Follow his instructions and you should be good to go. Almost everyone that buys this monitor can at the very least hit 96hz but step it up slowly and you'll be fine.

Happy overclocking.

I followed all of the steps in that video but when i click 'export' from the CRU program the different profiles don't show up in windows :( I tried unplugging and restarting and neither worked.

According to Samsung's marketing, it's supposedly an improved version of IPS technology. Remains to be seen if there is actually any improvement at all.

did you order "pixel perfect" or regular stock? I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $70 to get one that has a minimum of one dead pixel

Can anyone confirm if this monitor shows faint "scan lines" at higher refresh rates, like the overclocked Korean IPS monitors do?

Can anyone confirm if this monitor shows faint "scan lines" at higher refresh rates, like the overclocked Korean IPS monitors do?

I see them only at 120hz. When I back down to 110hz they pretty much are gone. Now this could simply be aberration and of course perhaps it simply gets more faint and my eyes are not good enough to see the difference.

I can say that its so faint that you really can't see it with everyday use.

So I ordered one, will take some days before I get it... but would be nice to be prepared!

A quick search on QNIX QX2710 profile didnt give me anything. So I was wondering, there is talk about profiles floating around and I'd appreciate help with finding the good ones if possible, thanks :)

Back