WD Shipping World's First 5mm 2.5-inch Hard Drive

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company and world leader in storage and connected-life products, today announced it is shipping the world’s first ultra-slim 2.5-inch, 5 mm hard drives and solid state hybrid drives (SSHD) , which are designed for integration into the slimmest devices and space-constrained computing environments. With 500 GB of storage capacity and models with high performance-enabling solid state hybrid drive technology, this slim product line helps to address the tradeoffs system designers often make between capacity, physical size and performance.

Wow, drive is barely taller than the mounting holes! New power/data connector, meh.

I want to see this in a tablet for bulk storage since most only offer a uSD slot and not a full size one.

This is still a niche product.
For this form factor to be more popular, it will require OEMs to implement the SFF8038 jack into mobile devices. Also, for greater adoption, this will require SSD companies to implement SFF8038 port on their drive offerings as well. Do SSD companies want to offer three different drive options, SATA, mSATA, and SFF8038?
If the SSD companies offer an optional SATA adapter to the SFF8038 drives, then I see this will resolve the legacy devices compatibility. SATA being deprecated in favor for the SFF8038 port would be cool, but doubt that is happening overnight with too many external factors at the moment.

I want to see this in a tablet for bulk storage since most only offer a uSD slot and not a full size one.

Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I don't like the idea of moving parts being subjected to a tablet usage scenario.

That's actually pretty slick.
Can't wait to see how this will workout for ultra embedded systems.

We might also be able to have tablets with more than 128GB of storage now!

I wish WD would put more R&D into SSD or some other non-mechanical storage. Less moving parts means lower chance of failure.

Wasn't there a test showing the SSD hybrid drives weren't really much of an improvement? Been a while since I saw the review

Back