Crashplan Unlimited Online Backup 1 Year Free

Thanks OP. Seems too good to pass up. Anyone using this service?

I'm using it. I'm generally happy with it. I wish uploads were faster. I'm on a 30 down 7 up service and most of that isn't used for Crashplan.

I love it for all of my backups. I have over 3 TB backed up with them now. Restores are easy and I love it.

Would not try a different service at all. Use this one.

Is there a way to access your files/folders on there site or something?

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any problems with certain files? I know some of these block video (or media) files.

Wonder what would happen if you backed up a WHS server that was backing up your home network PCs? Suppose you could probably run a script to zip(part) the WHS client backup directory everyweek.

$60/yr ($5/mo) is a good deal anyways. Cheapest I've seen is $4/mo. Looks like the prices are finally starting to come down on these services.

Thanks OP, signed up. I only want to use 1 pc for online backups, is the pc-pc backup free for other pc's?

Crashplan is the only online backup service I trust. They are phenomenal and I have used them on a ton of my own machines as well as friends and clients.

They are priced right, their services work excellent, and their software is very good as well as supports just about every platform. They have some slick features in that you can do backup to other machines as well as local backups in addition to the cloud backup options.

I actually run a Crashplan ProE server and can say that even under the curtains this service is very well architected ;)

Is there a way to access your files/folders on there site or something?

yes, you can access the files online, but it is not like a dropbox service...they are read only (so you can just download them, but not reupload changes). This is meant to be a backup service.

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any problems with certain files? I know some of these block video (or media) files.

Wonder what would happen if you backed up a WHS server that was backing up your home network PCs? Suppose you could probably run a script to zip(part) the WHS client backup directory everyweek.

$60/yr ($5/mo) is a good deal anyways. Cheapest I've seen is $4/mo. Looks like the prices are finally starting to come down on these services.

Crashplan actually used to be even cheaper, but now that they have gotten bigger prices have gone up a bit.

I use crashplan for exactly this, though I only backup the shares, not the computer backups. I don't see it as being an issue though.

Thanks! Been wanting to set up an online backup of important files (pictures and documents). Now I have no reason not to try it and find out how long it takes to upload almost 500 GB of data....

I've used them for 2yrs so far and have no issues with the service. It was either doing this or getting a WHS type system for backups. This actually becomes cheaper, fully automated, etc. so I went this route. Have yet to rely on it as I have not suffered a major HDD loss so far.

they don't block media files... at least none of mine have been blocked.

Thanks OP, signed up. I only want to use 1 pc for online backups, is the pc-pc backup free for other pc's?

Yeah is free all you have to do is install the crashplan client on the pc you want to do backups to. I have it install on my parents pc which does a daily backup to a ubuntu server. I still went ahead and sign up for free year for my parents pc. ;)

and no CC information required at all which sweetens the deal even more. I will probably keep the service after expired though.

Wow thanks OP this is very very nice! I've always wanted to try one of these services and this is too sweet to pass up....

CrashPlan is excellent service. They are not slow at all for me. Well, I just have 5mbit upload, but it saturates my 5mbit up all the time no problem so I would image it can still go faster. I have currently have 10.6TB backed up with them.

Once you install the Crashplan client on a PC, can you transfer that license to another PC if you no longer want to backup the first one?

You know technically to get this you must already be a Carbonite customer.

Once you install the Crashplan client on a PC, can you transfer that license to another PC if you no longer want to backup the first one?

Yeah, the license is not on a PC, it's on an account that you log into.

I have to chime in on this one just in case anyone is STILL on the fence. $60 a year for unlimited backup after a free year is the best deal out there. What finally hooked me is that it was the only service that would run on my WHS without getting creative with the install. All my pictures, documents, and media is accessed from all machines through the server so all I do is use the single pc (WHS) and it does its thing from midnight to 0600 every night. I am going on my third year of backing up I have never had a problem. No complaints.

Good catch OP.

Crashplan is really only $47.5 a month when you pay for the 4 year plan. You can also always cancel at any time and they refund you your unused months. So there is no reason not to buy the 4 year plan really.

It says this deal is only for current Carbonite customers.

Type in an email address, they have no actual way of verifying it with Carbonite (they aren't going to share their customer list).

I don't think they really care, the idea behind something like this is that:

A) You enjoy the service for one year and WANT to become a customer.
B) You're enticed to stay with them because your data is already with them.

New customer acquisition can cost anywhere from small amounts to hundreds, in this case, it's set at $60. Not a bad expense for them. A satisfied customer will bring in way more than that in revenue (see the positive comments from current subscribers in this thread).

Crashplan is really only $47.5 a month when you pay for the 4 year plan. You can also always cancel at any time and they refund you your unused months. So there is no reason not to buy the 4 year plan really.

You're only saving $2 though. Unless you meant it is only $47.50/year (compared to $59/yr). Which is actually pretty sweet. Plus, you lock in your rate for those four years.

You're only saving $2 though. Unless you meant it is only $47.50/year (compared to $59/yr). Which is actually pretty sweet. Plus, you lock in your rate for those four years.

Woops, definitely meant $47.5 per year, as the 4 year plan is $190. I signed up 2 years ago and back then the 4 year plan was $140 so it was $35 a year. I still have 2 years left at the $35/yr rate then so it was a good deal. When I have to renew at $47.5/yr I wont feel bad. $12.5/yr more isn't much and the service is so great it's well worth it.

It's well worth it. I've been using it for about 6 months, and it has backed up ~3TB of information for me. I feel safer knowing it's in good hands in case of anything happening. I have my desktops backing up to my server, and the server backing up to Crashplan. Works excellent.

This gives people such a better backup than most use.

-Offsite
-Versioning
-Real-time
-Encrypted
-Automatic

I bought the 4 year plan about 6 months ago and am very happy with it. I use it to backup locally across the network as well as to their cloud service. After I reformatting I was able to easily restore from my local backup.

I use it mainly for pictures, not stuff I can easily re-download (ie - steam games, programs, music/videos, etc).

I have a 3TB drive choc full of MKV movie rips. I'm debating whether it's worth using Crashplan as a backup for these. How long would it take to upload 3TB to CP and conversely how long would it take to download? Probably weeks right?!
The alternative is me spending $150 on another 3TB drive, making a copy and stashing it offsite (say, at work).

I have a 3TB drive choc full of MKV movie rips. I'm debating whether it's worth using Crashplan as a backup for these. How long would it take to upload 3TB to CP and conversely how long would it take to download? Probably weeks right?!
The alternative is me spending $150 on another 3TB drive, making a copy and stashing it offsite (say, at work).

Only you can answer that question. It depends on your upload and download bandwidth. Just do the math, multiply it out. I uploaded my 10.6TB to crashplan on my 5mbit upload line. Took a while sure, but you just set it and forget it. Once it's there it keeps up easily. The benefit is you will eventually have real-time completely automatic backups. I never have to think about backing up my files. I just copy anything and everything to my array and done.

Also, sure It's only $150 to buy a second 3TB disk, but I would think your storage will increase as time goes on and thus you will need to buy another and another disk to keep backups. I know I add at least 1TB of new data to my server per year. With CrashPlan it's all unlimited so I never need to worry.

I'm in to this thread one more time with another thank you to the OP.

Backed up everything from my 35mbit upload FIOS like a boss. Can't believe it's free for a year...and only $60 a year after that. I'll definitely be keeping this service

I have a Synology NAS and someone made a package for Crashplan. I've been on the fence for awhile thinking about signing up but haven't done it. A free year was enough to finally dive in. Got it set up and it is currently backing up. Unfortunately with my DSL connection it is going to take 50+ days to upload 473gb. Should be nice in June when it finally finishes!

I'm in to this thread one more time with another thank you to the OP.

Backed up everything from my 35mbit upload FIOS like a boss. Can't believe it's free for a year...and only $60 a year after that. I'll definitely be keeping this service

....and here I sit for 7 days whilst my computer uploads 150GB on my 2Mbps connection...:(

Reminds me that I need to resume my backup with them now that I have 100/30 service. :D

Back