TomTom Moves Out of the Auto and On to Your Wrist

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Everybody and their brother is planning on making a smartwatch of a sort prompting TomTom to throw its corporate hat into the ring yesterday, with the introduction of the new Runner and Multi-Sport lines of smartwatches. At least with TomTom, the company knows what direction they are moving in. :D

Why not make a wide-screen watch.... there's plenty of room on our wrists... I think it's the future anyways, to wear or implant our gear

They've technically already been there, since they made the Nike GPS watches.

Once they can do all the cool stuff a Pipboy 3000 can do I'll debate picking one up...

Once they can do all the cool stuff a Pipboy 3000 can do I'll debate picking one up...

Agreed. Pipboy 3000 or nothing.

Smart watch. I can understand a watch that connects to your phone (or stores info until you plug into your PC) for heart rate, GPS, distance, pedometer, things like that. A lot of people could use that. I wouldn't wear it daily, unless I wanted to track said things above.

Seriously, WTF is up with everyone making watches all of a sudden?
Watches can finally be interesting/useful again instead of being jewelry. Seriously, anyone who carries a cell phone or tablet and wears a time/date watch can only be doing so as a fashion statement unless they just put it on for sports (a watch is still great for swimming/diving).

Watches can finally be interesting/useful again instead of being jewelry. Seriously, anyone who carries a cell phone or tablet and wears a time/date watch can only be doing so as a fashion statement unless they just put it on for sports (a watch is still great for swimming/diving).

A watch has always been a fashion statement. They don't need to be more. Smart watches are stupid. Either wear a nice watch, or don't bother and use a cell phone. Diving watches being obvious exceptions.

Now you're going to have to remove watches for exams and such because these smartwatches are getting too widespread.

There's been a smartwatch available from China for years, it's marketed as an exam cheat watch.

because it is illegal to look at your phone when you drive, but no one said anythign about looking at your watch when you drive

the Nike watch is made by tomtom. Its a nice one , but the tomtom one looks better.

I really want a nice watch (better than a cheap $50 Casio, I want a $400 Seiko or something nice). Not really for the fashion statement, but I don't carry my phone inside when I'm going out for food or things (rude).

Funny, I didn't make that link between smart watches and Pipboys until you mentioned it now.

Pipboy analogue would just a shrunk down tablet/small Android DAP mounted on your wrist wouldn't it?

I really want a nice watch (better than a cheap $50 Casio, I want a $400 Seiko or something nice). Not really for the fashion statement, but I don't carry my phone inside when I'm going out for food or things (rude).

Seiko isn't nice, they are still considered low end crap if you are looking for a nice watch. If you want a nice watch, you buy a Swiss watch. Seiko, citizen, casio..all the same. You can get nice Swiss watches in that $400 range just as easily and it will better suit your purposes of having a nice dress watch. Obviously personal taste comes into play, however one line off the top of my head that fits the nice swiss watch, without breaking the bank is roven dino.

http://www.inventoryadjusters.com/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CI-tgbno17YCFcuj4AodZlEA_Q

As an example. Nice two tone swiss watch, under $300.

Wow, nobody here (besides me) ever owned a Microsoft Data Watch?;)

When I graduated high school... back in 1992, my father picked me up and there was a watch on the front seat of the car... was like silver & gold, $500 watch... seriously WTF I was 17 at the time, I did not need something like that... that said I buy the cheapest watch I can find that has the fake leather strap and has an actual dial (nothing digital).

I don't wear it for fashion, I wear it to know what time it is.

Who even wears watches anymore? I only see old fossil men doing it. Everyone else realizes there are clocks everywhere and doesn't care.

Who even wears watches anymore? I only see old fossil men doing it. Everyone else realizes there are clocks everywhere and doesn't care.

Some folks have jobs that actually require performance of multiple tasks with set deadlines that use their watches for timing specific events. Some folks also have jobs which do not take place in cubicles, have desks or, use computers. While I'm at it, get off my lawn. :D

Some folks have jobs that actually require performance of multiple tasks with set deadlines that use their watches for timing specific events. Some folks also have jobs which do not take place in cubicles, have desks or, use computers. While I'm at it, get off my lawn. :D

Jeepers, I was only standing in it because Billy told me to get offa his lawn. :(

Jeepers, I was only standing in it because Billy told me to get offa his lawn. :(

As I own the entire planet, technically it's all my lawn.. You can be the lawn inspector and be inspecting his lawn or something (check for flamingos...)

At least it will be harder for people to lose than a smartphone...

When I graduated high school... back in 1992, my father picked me up and there was a watch on the front seat of the car... was like silver & gold, $500 watch... seriously WTF I was 17 at the time, I did not need something like that... that said I buy the cheapest watch I can find that has the fake leather strap and has an actual dial (nothing digital).

I don't wear it for fashion, I wear it to know what time it is.

Your dad was trying to tell you something...get a job and be ON TIME.

People who understand the fact that a nice watch was a symbol and still is to those old fossil men. People who like moving up the corporate ladder in companies that are still largely run by those old men and have realized that the whole "Dressing to impress" saying, gives you a huge advantage over these stupid kids who believe that piece of rubbish they got in college means a damn thing.

I bet you wear designer shoes...

Only over the winter. In the summer I go barefoot because it's easier to sneak into your house when I'm stealthy like a ninja.

People who understand the fact that a nice watch was a symbol and still is to those old fossil men. People who like moving up the corporate ladder in companies that are still largely run by those old men and have realized that the whole "Dressing to impress" saying, gives you a huge advantage over these stupid kids who believe that piece of rubbish they got in college means a damn thing.

Yeah, those stupid kids with educations and their rubbish engineering degrees wearing practical clothing are clearly not adhering to the high bodily adornment standards of old GED holding men who all know that a watch no one ever sees under your sleeve will let you go places. ;)

Im always amazed by the "if I don't see a use/need/desire for it, there must not be one" mentality of forum posters. Perhaps some google glasses are in order to help some of these people with their myopic view of the world

Only over the winter. In the summer I go barefoot because it's easier to sneak into your house when I'm stealthy like a ninja.

Yeah, those stupid kids with educations and their rubbish engineering degrees wearing practical clothing are clearly not adhering to the high bodily adornment standards of old GED holding men who all know that a watch no one ever sees under your sleeve will let you go places. ;)

Believe what you want, but I have been in the working force for a number of decades at this point and yes I have multiple degrees. However beyond being a pretty piece of paper, they have done far less for me than networking does. That piece of paper basically gets you in the door, after that if you want to progress you have to learn how to impress the correct people. Dismiss it all you want, but I have met more than a few of the people in charge who stated outright they respect a man who shows up to work/interviews wearing a nice watch more than one who doesn't. Also while your attempt at an insult was quaint and amusing, I have never met anyone who holds a GED at at this level. Of course I don't work at McDonald's or retail so I couldn't say what goes for acceptable at that level.

I seldom if ever see a wristwatch anymore...their fad time is about done. And this effort isn't going to change that. I sense the wasting of billions in R&D on products that no one is that hot to use.

I bet you wear designer shoes...

I wear steel-toe boots myself.

I wear a cheap 10 dollar watch cause not everyone work in office :/

Nooo! It's because you're an old dinosaur! :) There are clocks outside and you're refusing to notice on purpose so you can help to sustain a society of elderly people who think that the time of day is important. You're like Google levels of evil. :p

Believe what you want, but I have been in the working force for a number of decades at this point and yes I have multiple degrees. However beyond being a pretty piece of paper, they have done far less for me than networking does. That piece of paper basically gets you in the door, after that if you want to progress you have to learn how to impress the correct people. Dismiss it all you want, but I have met more than a few of the people in charge who stated outright they respect a man who shows up to work/interviews wearing a nice watch more than one who doesn't. Also while your attempt at an insult was quaint and amusing, I have never met anyone who holds a GED at at this level. Of course I don't work at McDonald's or retail so I couldn't say what goes for acceptable at that level.

I didn't realize my irrational joke posts had such gravity that it's necessary to play the "decades of watch wearing experience" card.

I seldom if ever see a wristwatch anymore...their fad time is about done. And this effort isn't going to change that. I sense the wasting of billions in R&D on products that no one is that hot to use.

Who knows what'll happen. Apple's working on the iWatch as well which means that it might once again open up a some sort of trend that other companies can follow. Then again, perhaps Apple's days of making everyone else follow are over too. I guess we'll find out sooner or later when we see lots of people squinting at their wrists instead of at their phones.

Back