Google Glass Not Fully Functional With iPhone

HardOCP News

[H] News
So exactly how does Google Glass expect to be "in" with all the cool kids if it doesn't play well with the iPhone?

"The MyGlass companion app requires Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher. MyGlass enables GPS and SMS messaging," Google says online. But the app is not available for Apple devices, and as such iPhone users will not be able to use their $1,500 Glass to send texts or have GPS functionality. Other features such as phone calls, video chats and Google searches will still work with an iPhone.

Yikes.

I didn't realize they were $1,500

I don't mind spending that kind of money on something I'd actually use regularly, but to me Google glass is really just a toy. If I had a pair of them, I'd probably only use them to play around with and that's it.

They'd have to come down SIGNIFICANTLY in price for me to buy. I'm thinking maybe at a fifth to a tenth of the price I'd be in for a pair.

Duh. If you want seamless compatibility with a Google peripheral, you better be running their OS. Or waiting for Apple to release a similar product.

Why doesn't the $1,500 glasses also work as a phone? If it does, then why would you want it to work with another phone?

Zarathustra[H];1039808693 said:
Yikes.

I didn't realize they were $1,500

I don't mind spending that kind of money on something I'd actually use regularly, but to me Google glass is really just a toy. If I had a pair of them, I'd probably only use them to play around with and that's it.

They'd have to come down SIGNIFICANTLY in price for me to buy. I'm thinking maybe at a fifth to a tenth of the price I'd be in for a pair.

It's $1,500 for the developer hardware. No final prices have been released.

Why doesn't the $1,500 glasses also work as a phone? If it does, then why would you want it to work with another phone?

a lot of people don't want to pay for multiple cellular devices. I wish sometimes that a wi-fi only iPad would sync with an iPhone to go online. It would make sense to do that.

Anyways, Google's alienating themselves from half of their demograph if they tie this in with Android and leave iPhone users out. Then again this is still under development, so who knows what the final product will bring.

Google glasses are an accessory to your existing phone, not a replacement. Think of it as a fancy bluetooth headset with video & other features.

Besides, the "cool" kids have already moved beyond thier iToys. :)

iPhone users should consider themselves lucky. If Glass was an Apple product, it wouldn't work with Android at all.

Apple has tons of proprietary accessories and apps. Guess they can't have everything.

$1500 is for developers kit, not likely the cost of a retail version.

If it were made by apple it would cost $4500 retail, (and they would buy 2 for every phone).

a lot of people don't want to pay for multiple cellular devices. I wish sometimes that a wi-fi only iPad would sync with an iPhone to go online. It would make sense to do that.

Anyways, Google's alienating themselves from half of their demograph if they tie this in with Android and leave iPhone users out. Then again this is still under development, so who knows what the final product will bring.

But data isn't data, you are robbing those poor telcoms when you tether.

It isn't google that is preventing the pair from working, it is the iphones lack of support for sharing that type of data that is the issue. Apple would have to add those api extensions to the list that apps can access.

Wake me when they have Google contacts. :p

I haven't worn glasses (other than as backups) since I was 12, and don't plan on starting now. The discomfort and limits to peripheral vision make glasses a no-go for me.

But data isn't data, you are robbing those poor telcoms when you tether.

It isn't google that is preventing the pair from working, it is the iphones lack of support for sharing that type of data that is the issue. Apple would have to add those api extensions to the list that apps can access.

I've never heard of iPhones preventing a Bluetooth accessory from working. There's a bunch of third party devices that coexist with iPhones wirelessly.

I'll wait until Google fields their new direct Ads-to-Brain implant that reads your thoughts and pushes relevant ads to you in a non-evil, societally beneficial manner.

iPhone users should consider themselves lucky. If Glass was an Apple product, it wouldn't work with Android at all.

Thissssssssssssssssssssss.

And yet, I am betting right now that at some point in the future Apple will get butthurt and sue them for trying to be a monopoly lol "wahhh their device doesn't work with our competing product."

Sad part is, they'll win. And Google will be forced to support iOS.

I suspect iOS users will somehow bravely soldier on in spite of this devastating setback.

Well, duh!

GOOGLE Glass. Not Google Will Work Fully Functional With Every Existing OS Glass. Is it really that hard to figure out by those holding iPhones that are complaining about it? Besides, it's not even finished yet. It may well work 100% with iOS come the future. I doubt it, but it might.

Not surprising, Apple doesn't make all of it's lower level stuff available to developers. It's why the Pebble is less functional on IOS and Chrome for IOS still uses the Safari renderer.

I've never heard of iPhones preventing a Bluetooth accessory from working. There's a bunch of third party devices that coexist with iPhones wirelessly.

Looks like there was a protective net. How far would the ball have gone if he wasn't pressing his face right up to it to prop up his iPad?

Not Fully Functional with iphone eh?

I wonder how many Android phones Google Glass isn't Fully Functional with?
My guess: A lot

Not Fully Functional with iphone eh?

I wonder how many Android phones Google Glass isn't Fully Functional with?
My guess: A lot

Some interesting replies in this thread. Hmmm.

Anyone else feel Apple is stagnating a bit without Steve Jobs?

Sorry, thread derail

Some interesting replies in this thread. Hmmm.

Anyone else feel Apple is stagnating a bit without Steve Jobs?

Sorry, thread derail

Just a personal thought -- I don't think Jobs is solely responsible for the creation of products that Apple began selling while he was the CEO. People love to assign blame and praise to a celebrity icon to the point where, in this case, Apple and Jobs were one and the same. That simply isn't true. Most of Apple's products were pencil designed in-house and then turned over to Quanta for actual industrial design and product development. Outsourcing has quietly been happening behind the scenes there just like it does at almost every other brand name company (Dell, HP, and so on).

At the moment, they haven't been releasing new products, but that outflow stopped while Steve was at the reins since, really, the iPad is the latest "new" thing they've done and the design has only seen revisions and improvements. Products that might seem revolutionary or at least disruptive to the market haven't reared their heads since the first iPad and it would be unrealistic to presume that Steve Jobs was the guy sitting around drawing diagrams of new products when he had his hands full with actual business management duties.

Just a personal thought -- I don't think Jobs is solely responsible for the creation of products that Apple began selling while he was the CEO. People love to assign blame and praise to a celebrity icon to the point where, in this case, Apple and Jobs were one and the same. That simply isn't true. Most of Apple's products were pencil designed in-house and then turned over to Quanta for actual industrial design and product development. Outsourcing has quietly been happening behind the scenes there just like it does at almost every other brand name company (Dell, HP, and so on).

At the moment, they haven't been releasing new products, but that outflow stopped while Steve was at the reins since, really, the iPad is the latest "new" thing they've done and the design has only seen revisions and improvements. Products that might seem revolutionary or at least disruptive to the market haven't reared their heads since the first iPad and it would be unrealistic to presume that Steve Jobs was the guy sitting around drawing diagrams of new products when he had his hands full with actual business management duties.

To be blunt, your opinion on the direction behind Apple's acclaimed design differs from virtually every popular media source, who attribute that success to Steve Jobs vision. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with your view and I'm not bashing you. In my opinion, Steve Jobs was the guy who made Apple what it is today. I don't see that vision now. Google Glass is attracting the same level of hype as the original iPhone.

To be blunt, your opinion on the direction behind Apple's acclaimed design differs from virtually every popular media source, who attribute that success to Steve Jobs vision. Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with your view and I'm not bashing you. In my opinion, Steve Jobs was the guy who made Apple what it is today. I don't see that vision now. Google Glass is attracting the same level of hype as the original iPhone.

I'm totally okay with the disagreement. :) I do think Steve Jobs significantly contributed to the success of Apple through management of the company, but I think the rest of the world has put far too much belief into his contributions as a visionary and, in effect, unjustly taken away credit from the people in the company and outsourced by the company that actually did the thinking and the work to bring these things people bought into reality.

I was alerted by my teammate yesterday that Google glass users will henceforth be known as "Glassholes." :D

2.png

The iphone supports bluetooth in many ways but that specific data is not provided.

Back