Turbo Tax Goes Off Line Sunday Night

HardOCP News

[H] News
Turbo Tax went offline last night for a few hours, scaring the crap out of a bunch of last minute filers. According to the company, everything is supposed to be back to normal now.

To the relief of last minute online tax filers, Turbo Tax tweeted again, "Good news - TurboTax [dot] com is back online and functional. For those still having issues, please try closing your browser and go back to turbotax dot com in a fresh window."

I don't understand people, I file taxes the minute all of the appropriate forms are in my grubby little hands. I'm always done in February.

On a related note, that is freakin' hilarious. Maybe Turbo Tax needs to put their shit on the Amazon cloud so they can handle the load this time of year.

I used to file on April 15th when I knew I would not be getting much back. Although for a few recent years with my mortgage I received a few thousand back although that has dried up since I have less than 2 years left on the loan with the current rate. Anyways we had to pay a few hundred this year and I think we did that the last week of March. No point in giving the government their money any earlier..

There is no reason or incentive to wait to file taxes once the you posses all of the requisite forms. I don't understand last minute filers.

Just filed! :p

There's plenty of incentive to file late. I had 2500 incentives this year.

My taxes were done months ago but I didn't file my state until Thursday as I owed money. Do you taxes early but file last second if you owe.

[21CW]killerofall;1039799793 said:
My taxes were done months ago but I didn't file my state until Thursday as I owed money. Do you taxes early but file last second if you owe.

What I did! Had it sitting there with the "Submit" button ready since end of January.

There are lots of reasons for people filing late. People may wait to max out their IRA distributions. You have to indicate this amount before today.

Also if you are under the penalty from withholding you can wait to pay this by filing late, however after today you have to pay the government interest on the amount owed to them, which is fucking bullshit.

How we have a tax system where the government can spend weeks and months to delay my return only to have me owe them interest for unpaid amounts is beyond me.

There is no reason or incentive to wait to file taxes once the you posses all of the requisite forms. I don't understand last minute filers.

Laziness...people like me hate doing it and we put it off until we have to.

As someone who has worked customer support in this line of work, I say: HAHA, PROCRASTINATORS!

Terrible timing for the site/services to go down, though. Those Intuit staff are really nice people.

As someone who has worked customer support in this line of work, I say: HAHA, PROCRASTINATORS!

Terrible timing for the site/services to go down, though. Those Intuit staff are really nice people.

They are, if you ignore that they sued the government when the IRS offered to save money by just doing everyone's taxes for them, which would put Turbo Tax out of business.

I am still getting tax forms in. I have final drafts for maybe 30% of my K-1's. Also, every year I owe money. I have no incentive to file before today aside from sending in my estimated taxes and requesting my extension until October.

I guess if I got a refund, I would be more incline to file sooner, but I have not seen a refund in 5+ years now.

I am still getting tax forms in. I have final drafts for maybe 30% of my K-1's. Also, every year I owe money. I have no incentive to file before today aside from sending in my estimated taxes and requesting my extension until October.

I guess if I got a refund, I would be more incline to file sooner, but I have not seen a refund in 5+ years now.

and I am in the exact same situation, did an estimated and an extension

and I am in the exact same situation, did an estimated and an extension

You guys know that the government assesses interest on the amount plus a 10 percent penalty if you are over your 10 percent amount.

They are, if you ignore that they sued the government when the IRS offered to save money by just doing everyone's taxes for them, which would put Turbo Tax out of business.

Not only that, but there's now "bipartisan" support for a bill that'll make it illegal for IRS to provide pre-filled forms.

http://www.propublica.org/article/r...-together-to-keep-irs-from-competing-turbotax

By "bipartisan" support I mean it's been paid for by Inutuit

The bill is called the Free File Program Act, co-sponsored by Rep. Peter Roskam, R-Ill. and Rep. Ron Kind, D-Wisc.

Intuit has given money to the sponsors of the bill. Roskam has received $12,500 from Intuit’s political action committee and company executives in the last two election cycles. Kind has gotten $12,400.

Well I guess that's not too bad, it's not a terrible amount of money...

The company has spent over $11.5 million on lobbying on a range of issues in the past five years.

Well, shit.

You guys know that the government assesses interest on the amount plus a 10 percent penalty if you are over your 10 percent amount.

I've been doing it for years and I pay a CPA, think I know how it works

anyway, that's why I said I paid my estimated, so chances are I will be off by +/- $100 or so usually in my favor

I've been doing it for years and I pay a CPA, think I know how it works

anyway, that's why I said I paid my estimated, so chances are I will be off by +/- $100 or so usually in my favor

Same. Problem with my taxes is a large part of my year bonus comes to to me pre-tax and my tax bill varies a large amount per year because of it. Hard to plan for. I am on the brink of paying quarterly taxes which is going to be a pain in the butt.

Normally I would not be entitled to a refund, but this year I was because my mother in law and sister in law moved in with my wife and I. I was able to claim them as dependants.

I'd still want to make sure that I paid my taxes earlier, though. My wife and I were saving money and sometimes it's just easier to bite the bullet early when you know you have it.

Normally I would not be entitled to a refund, but this year I was because my mother in law and sister in law moved in with my wife and I. I was able to claim them as dependants.

I'd still want to make sure that I paid my taxes earlier, though. My wife and I were saving money and sometimes it's just easier to bite the bullet early when you know you have it.

Except for the fact that unless your mother in law or sister in law are not working they can not claim themselves.

Me and my wife claim ourselves on a single status and then file jointly.

Back