Windows 8.1 Allow Users to Boot to Desktop?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to new information found by Russian site Microsoft Portal, a line of code was spotted that would allow users to boot directly to the desktop, detouring around the much disliked Start screen. Is it actually possible that Microsoft is listening to millions of users and will make the change with the release of Windows 8.1 rumored to be released sometime this summer?

The ability to boot directly into the desktop has been one of the most requested features for Windows 8, with some users even using workarounds to obtain the ability. So far, however, Microsoft has made no statement that it's working on such a feature.

That would be good if true--the key here is lack of user choice when there's no real reason the choice shouldn't exist (say, having the classic XP start menu in 8/7 would be a bunch of extra code; "allow boot to desktop" wouldn't, I would think).

now they just need to add options to disable all the hot corners, and an "express setup" option during first boot that disables all the metro apps from being the default file handlers... and they'll be a long way to repairing the damage

what retarded decisions by them lately...

this has more to do with keeping corporate contracts then any thing
the business world is not happy with 8 at all

"According to new information found by Russian site Microsoft Portal, a line of code was spotted that would allow users to boot directly to the desktop"

Sweet. Now all they need to do is add a decent start menu or bundle Start8 and we'll have the best Windows 8 ever. :)

I would upgrade if this is true as I don't believe I should have to use third party software for basic functionality.

The start menu isn't always opened up when I start W7. Don't know why it needs to be that way with W8 and the start screen.

This option makes sense to me.

If Microsoft truly wants to make the tile format the next evolution of Windows, then they can't let people boot straight into the desktop. The only way to get people to use the tile/metro system to is to force it. It's going to be uncomfortable.

I think even having the desktop at all right now is on the side of a mistake. I am sure it's mostly there to support functionality of "legacy" programs. But I would imagine Windows 9 will have even less of a desktop as programs become more native to the tile system.

This is assuming that Microsoft is still around for Windows 9. I personally do not like the business models Microsoft has made proposed over the last year. And Charlie over at SemiAccurate has made some predictions about MS and they seem to make sense.

Now one thing I have found to be annoying with Microsoft 8 certified products, well laptops specifically, is the "secure boot" feature that pretty much keeps you from booting into ANYTHING other then Windows 8. I am sure some laptops have been returned because the user thought it was broken or something when trying to boot to Windows 7 install disc....I know I had some trouble figuring out why my disc wouldn't work.

If Microsoft truly wants to make the tile format the next evolution of Windows, then they can't let people boot straight into the desktop. The only way to get people to use the tile/metro system to is to force it. It's going to be uncomfortable.

LMFAO. No, as the abysmal uptake of Windows 8 even among longtime Windows users has shown, you can't force change. You have to make the change something compelling, something people actually WANT to use.

Boot to Desktop saves one click with each boot. Not a huge situation change if there's no Start Menu and stuff that should be consolidated through the start menu is still scattered.

This doesn't fix much.
Why not have an option like the 3rd party GUI tools like Classic Shell and Start8 built into Windows 8, you know, for non-touch screen/tablet users?

Come on Microsoft, this OS is tanking, PC sales are tanking, and nearly everyone hates the Modern UI.
Seriously, I would not be surprised if Dell and other companies started to have 'downgrade' options for new systems to move to Win 7, just like they did with Vista/XP.

This doesn't fix much.
Why not have an option like the 3rd party GUI tools like Classic Shell and Start8 built into Windows 8, you know, for non-touch screen/tablet users?

Come on Microsoft, this OS is tanking, PC sales are tanking, and nearly everyone hates the Modern UI.
Seriously, I would not be surprised if Dell and other companies started to have 'downgrade' options for new systems to move to Win 7, just like they did with Vista/XP.

no started they already do

I think even having the desktop at all right now is on the side of a mistake. I am sure it's mostly there to support functionality of "legacy" programs. But I would imagine Windows 9 will have even less of a desktop as programs become more native to the tile system.

This is assuming that Microsoft is still around for Windows 9. I personally do not like the business models Microsoft has made proposed over the last year. And Charlie over at SemiAccurate has made some predictions about MS and they seem to make sense.

Now one thing I have found to be annoying with Microsoft 8 certified products, well laptops specifically, is the "secure boot" feature that pretty much keeps you from booting into ANYTHING other then Windows 8. I am sure some laptops have been returned because the user thought it was broken or something when trying to boot to Windows 7 install disc....I know I had some trouble figuring out why my disc wouldn't work.

you are wrong. i hate your opinion. please delete this post before MS sees it and points to it as the one example of someone thinking theyre doing this right. theyre not.

You can boot straight to desktop right now without any 3rd party tools or anything. Just leave an open Windows Explorer window and voila. You just need to enable the Restore previous folder windows at logon.

I discovered this by accident as I've always found the option very useful.

restore_previous_folder.png

I cannot stand the people who want a Start Menu. WTF it was a bad way to find a program ESPECIALLY in corporate/education market. Lets say you made a folder called Google and put picasa in it, some people would not know its google and complain. Search is the way to go which windows 8 still has let alone, when you open All programs IT IS A START MENU but without having to expand each option so you can actually read for a name like picasa even if its in the Google group. Now a Start Page Button would be helpful for remote sessions or vms, gets hard to get that mouse in that particular location. As for giving people the ability to boot up to desktop, microsoft should for atleast this OS. I still see the desktop being needed for 3-4 years until every app is made into the microsoft store. Ability to run metro apps in windows is already available from stardock program so microsoft should do this as well. I want to have the time on my 2nd screen while gaming on my 1st screen. Even if move my metro to the 2nd screen it goes away and the TIME with it. Would be helpful having it as a widget like window OR add the time to the 2nd taskbar too!

I would not be surprised if Dell and other companies started to have 'downgrade' options for new systems to move to Win 7, just like they did with Vista/XP.

I'm still buying Windows 7 with the Dell Laptops/desktops for the office. Just look at their business level systems if you want something that comes with Windows 7 and is more reliable.

I cannot stand the people who want a Start Menu. WTF it was a bad way to find a program ESPECIALLY in corporate/education market. Lets say you made a folder called Google and put picasa in it, some people would not know its google and complain. Search is the way to go which windows 8 still has let alone, when you open All programs IT IS A START MENU but without having to expand each option so you can actually read for a name like picasa even if its in the Google group. Now a Start Page Button would be helpful for remote sessions or vms, gets hard to get that mouse in that particular location. As for giving people the ability to boot up to desktop, microsoft should for atleast this OS. I still see the desktop being needed for 3-4 years until every app is made into the microsoft store. Ability to run metro apps in windows is already available from stardock program so microsoft should do this as well. I want to have the time on my 2nd screen while gaming on my 1st screen. Even if move my metro to the 2nd screen it goes away and the TIME with it. Would be helpful having it as a widget like window OR add the time to the 2nd taskbar too!

That's... a lot of wishful thinking.

I still see the desktop being needed for 3-4 years until every app is made into the microsoft store.
Apple doesn't even do this, as there is still a differentiation of programs on OS X and apps on iOS.
If Microsoft truly does go this path, they are going to be in for an even bigger world of hurt.

This is why proprietary OSes can become dangerous.
Not to mention, do you really think that Microsoft store apps are going to be backwards compatible with the newer OSes years from now?

Before you say "that won't happen", I'm going to remind you about the gadgets in Vista/7.
Those are so handy *cough* oh wait, Microsoft discontinued them, making them all totally worthless.

Not to be cagey, but what makes you think, that when the Microsoft store is totally unsuccessful, that they won't just pull the plug on all of the apps within it?
That means, that potentially these apps may only run on Windows 8, which is great right now, but when a user has blown hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on these apps, I don't think it is going to give the user a warm and fuzzy feeling about their apps being worthless/gone and their money lost forever.

Classic Shell[/color] and the problem is solved.

The average user does not know this, as is obviously shown by the tanking PC sales.
And even if they did, they do not want to have to go through the hassle of doing something like this, which, honestly, they shouldn't have to.

Microsoft should have fixed or altered this Modern UI crap from out-of-the-box.
btw, your link is no-worky.

Now, swallow your pride and return the Start Menu that was already in there that you took out as a default one will do much better than a third-party add-on, suddenly Windows 8 will turn into an instant success. Might have to add the able to disable Metro and Metro apps entirely, but it's a slow step in the right direction.

Oh for fucks sake.

I guess clicking on the rectangle that says "desktop" is too fucking hard for today's lard-ass computer users.

Put down the cheesy poofs, Cartman, you're gonna strain your index finger.

I've been shopping for an Ultrabook at Microcenter here in Kansas City and so far, I've been in maybe 5 or 6 times, playing around, checking out specs, performance and asking lots of questions. There are actually a lot of new Ultrabooks coming out shortly so I am holding off. But in talking with all the sells reps. They've been straight to the point in saying that Tablets and Phones are not taking sells from Desktops and Laptops but that Older PC's and Windows 8 are hurting new sales. You can get a 2560 x whatever laptop, a 1920 x 1080 phone but you can still not get a laptop with a high rez screen. That and Windows 8 is step backwards, not forwards. I was given a complete laundry list of all the reasons why.

They should change the Start menu so your screen dims and the tiles simply overlay on top of whatever you're doing on the desktop. This would make Metro feel more like a part of the OS.

5 bucks and Start8 gives you a start menu and the ability to boot straight to desktop, while still being able to access the new start screen if you wish. Well worth the money.

As long as they leave the choice to let things remain as they are, I am fine with this.

...I'm afraid that I have to say this rumor is false.

Windows 8.1 is already confirmed to remove existing methods to bypass the quote/unquote Modern Style UI which is expected to terminate the functionality of existing products such as Start8. There are no known memo's or any other information leaks that have even remotely suggested that the Windows 8 design team is backing down. There is evidence to suggest that Microsoft intends to double down on Modern Style UI.

For example, the upcoming Project Durango, aka Xbox Next, is also being demoed with a Modern Style UI. Another prime example is the limited-multitasking being added to the Modern Style UI in the form of two apps on a single screen. That function is already in the process of being touted as a major feature that will attract users unhappy with the limited multi-tasking of the original Windows 8 release.

So, sorry, I just don't see Microsoft listening to their customers.

Then it looks like Microsoft has moved to a place power users, and businesses do not want.

Bad idea. Tick off your "bread and butter" customers, and see them not upgrade for a long time. I guess they did not learn when Vista failed.

WTF are they talking about? I heard no one complain about getting to the desktop.

...the lack of start button, well, that's another story.

This NBC article makes some very good points regarding the PC vs. tablet/smartphone issue:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/7-ways-bring-back-pc-1C9319686

1. Fix or dump Windows 8. - Stating the obvious.
  2. Improve battery life for laptops. - Makes sense since many smartphones and tablets last LONGER than most battery efficient laptops to date.
  3. Up the resolution, screen quality. - 1366x768 SHOULD NOT be a laptop standard. Makes absolutely no sense when a $300 to $400 smartphone has a higher resolution than your $300 to $400 laptop.
  4. Lower the prices. - If a $300 to $400 smartphone can do pretty much 70% to 80% of the functionality of a $500 or $1200 laptop, that price makes absolutely no sense if the laptop is just used for day-to-day functions that you could technically do on a tablet.
  5. Preload powerful software. - Heck, many smartphones and tablets are preloaded with better preloaded software than the bloatware and trial software on laptops.
  6. Focus on build quality. - Stating another obvious.
  7. Utilize all that processing power. - Again, stating the obvious.
    PC manufacturers need to work with Microsoft and other software publishers to build more must-have apps that require or at least take advantage of newer processors. As it stands, most users don’t see a reason to upgrade from a first-gen Core i3 to a third-gen Core i7.

Makes sense. Why upgrade to Haswell, for example, if you're Sandy Bridge or Intel Core 2 Duo can run practically all the software released up to now and play your current games released up to now? It's a lot of wasted processing power that doesn't get fully used. And, many computer systems will last 3 to 5 years because of the software, hence no need to upgrade to newer processors and systems.

...I'm afraid that I have to say this rumor is false.

Windows 8.1 is already confirmed to remove existing methods to bypass the quote/unquote Modern Style UI which is expected to terminate the functionality of existing products such as Start8.

Well, if that is true, I hope Microsoft plummets into the ground and leaves a crater.
That is just like them though, and technically they can do it, considering it is their proprietary OS, which is only licensed to, not owned by, users.

lol Microsoft, you're making this too easy on me.
If this keeps up, Linux on the desktop might actually become a reality. :eek:

Back