Microsoft Stock Downgraded by Analysts

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft stock was downgraded on Thursday on the report that the shipments of PCs worldwide had dropped 14%, due in part to the tepid reception of Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system.

"Quarterly results will "gradually deteriorate unless Microsoft successfully repositions itself as a more meaningful participant in the new era of consumer compute," Bellini wrote in a note to investors.

Did anybody really expect anything less from forcing a mobile interface on a desktop OS?

Just waiting for Blizzard to port World of Warcraft to Linux, then I'll make the switch. I know Wine works, but would rather have a native client.

f7f85d8d_vbattach59609.gif

the massive dislike for their proposed console doesn't help either... Nor the disinterest in their phone platform... Nor the constant buying of companies who don't make any profit...

Did anybody really expect anything less from forcing a mobile interface on a desktop OS?

QFT

I really think Microsoft made a mistake with Windows 8 because they were using it as a means to sell their tablet crap, instead of just making an OS for general consumption.... Win 8 is nothing but a means to push another product on us, instead of being designed for general use.

I guess some people don't like to feel their being manipulated.

They should have just kept the same style interface as Windows 7 without removing anything from that, and had the Metro interface an optional install for people using tablets and touch screen laptops. Then if touchscreen became dominant on PCs, they could have made the major change in a future Windows.

So stock analysts were moronic enough to buy the idiotic explanation.

The news here isn't that Microsoft are in trouble, it is that certain stock analysts should not be allowed to reproduce for being so stupid.

For those who follow stock analysts, is it a situation where you chase success, but you are always a step behind?

stocks are all about luck. A few comments from analysts can ruin the price.

MSFT recently climbed 10%, and was due for some negative comments by analysts to bring the price back down. Those who were clever enough cashed out after 10% gain.

I run win8. I run a nice dock app across the top. Win8 has enough improvements elsewhere over Win7 to make it quite nice.

Rarely do I even see the start screen.

It's not a big fucking deal.

Jesus. The amount of pearl clutching sand-in-vagina bitching and moaning over the start screen is amazing.

I was waiting for the news report that Microsoft's stock would fall because of Windows 8. Microsoft has produced a lot of good products over the years. Sadly, Windows 8 is not one of them.

Android has passed up Windows, soon iOS/Mac will to. The writing is on the wall.

MS should have released 8 with their classic UI and made Metro a free download for the cool kids to hype. This approach would have made everyone happy, including shareholders. Unfortunately the modern business model is "They don't like it? Too bad!".

I run win8. I run a nice dock app across the top. Win8 has enough improvements elsewhere over Win7 to make it quite nice.

Jesus. The amount of pearl clutching sand-in-vagina bitching and moaning over the start screen is amazing.
Haha QFT.

but it does make for funny lunch time reading.

So prime2515102 doesn't like Windows 8 because of Metro, and you like Windows 8 because you've modded it to never see Metro. It sounds like you're all in the same boat.

Take out the app that makes it behave like Windows 7, and then you'll have a leg to stand on over "The start screen is no big deal" argument

This is why they put 'Anal' in analysts. They do more harm than good. If they are that good of prediction, they should be already millionare.

the massive dislike for their proposed console doesn't help either... Nor the disinterest in their phone platform... Nor the constant buying of companies who don't make any profit...

Yeah, Microsoft caused a real shit storm, and now they get to clean up the mess.
Windows 8 made perfect sense on tablets, but it had little to no place on desktops and laptops without touch screens.

^ Brain surgery on-parade, ladies and gentlemen. "Because I'm a techie and its not a problem for me it shouldn't be a problem for anyone."

A third party start menu jailbreak treats the symptom, not the cause. People not voicing their concerns NOW while Microsoft is in see-how-much-we-can-get-away-with mode means when they finally do remove dependent code from windows and no start menu hacks work anymore, even people like the above that didn't see past short term band aid fixes will be left holding their pud wondering if maybe they should've seen it coming and said something earlier with the rest of us.

As well, if people don't make their voices heard now then you couldn't really blame MS for removing all classic desktop elements including the desktop itself that much sooner - they'd have every right since "well nobody seemed to have a problem with it before so they won't now"

But I realize not everyone cares about looking at the big picture and profane tirades are where the IQ maxes out.

Yeah, Microsoft caused a real shit storm, and now they get to clean up the mess.
Windows 8 made perfect sense on tablets, but it had little to no place on desktops and laptops without touch screens.

It's like installing Linux instead of using a live CD. Some things just don't really work on the wrong platform when they are aimed at low end use and users.

if they'd added a bunch of new stuff (or just waited until they had something worthwhile to add, and made the pointless crap optional [this is know as giving the customer what they want]) then this negativity wouldn't have began, and when a decent successor OS came out would have made them more money and not had the public turn against their other products.

Just run Ubuntu, Windows XP, 7, and 8 on Parallels and STFU already.

babies :rolleyes:

The sad thing is that Windows 8 itself is not a bad OS, and may be better than Windows 7 in the back-end in some instances.
If it weren't for the awful GUI that it comes with by default, I think many more individuals would have been more apt to use it on systems without touch screens.

The 3rd party GUI tools are great, but couldn't Microsoft themselves just released Windows 8 with an option to do this on non-touch screen systems?
Kind of a bad move on their part.

Microsoft is run by too many idiots; it must be frustrating to work there. I think the most they annoyed me in the last year was shutting down the Windows Live Mesh services - they had a great remote desktop client that, of course, they tossed. It's amazing they float as well as they do considering the idiotic decisions they make year after year. Anywho, not like I was buying any of their products anytime soon.

What, precisely is WRONG with the GUI?

You know you can erase all the damn apps from the metro menu and put your usual programs there? You know you can pin your common programs to the taskbar? You know that if you right click in the lower left corner you get the MOST USEFUL DAMN CONTEXT MENU THAT MS HAS EVER CREATED?!?!? It's AWESOME. Everything you need to manage your computer in one right click. It's FASTER to get to things you need than Win 7.

Holy crapsauce the disinformation is just insane.

Every... single... time... Microsoft releases an OS it's BITCH MOAN WHINE. I've been through every single one of them.

There are no tech problems with Win 8. It's well designed, fast and stable.

Microsoft's 2 biggest problems were WinME (which actually WAS unstable) and Vista (which actually functions just fine and is stable but it's too slow and uses RAM inefficiently.)

Win 8 has none of these problems.

Precisely? People don't like it. It's that simple. Nothing else matters when it comes to the interface. Either people like it or they don't, and that's enough to make it sink or swim, and take a whole bunch of great things down with it.

It's that last little bit of 5%polish that makes the other 95% of the stuff that matters be accepted. It's sad, but a well known fact of human behavior. Think of the guy at work who's done genius things, but is so bad at pitching/presenting he's effectively ignored. Metro = that guys presentation skills.

For me personally, I don't like the look of it. Flat and too much solid colors. I don't like metro popping up in my face when I was already in the desktop. I don't like the changes they made to windows backup (they finally got it right in 7, and then undid it). I don't like that media center was not included. I dont like that basic interface tweaks require 3rd party programs. I don't like how the corners behave over rdp. I don't like making swipe motions with a mouse. I don't like full screen applications - I have a 30 inch monitor, you know, to tile "windows". I don't like an OS that tries to force a digital shopping mall into my computing - not interested in another App Store tyvm.

I LIKE win 7, and all of those precise reasons above keep me from buying win 8, RT, or anything that Microsoft will continue to push in that direction. Doesn't matter if I'm "wrong" or "can't adapt" - Microsoft wants MY money, and for those precise reasons, I'm choosing to keep it in my pocket. That's microsofts problem, not mine. Doesn't matter if these reasons are silly, if they want my money and support - they'll need to figure out how to change my mind. Silly or not - the numbers are beginning to speak for themselves - people are not adopting win 8, and Microsoft needs to figure it out or the slide will continue.

You know you can erase all the damn apps from the metro menu and put your usual programs there? You know you can pin your common programs to the taskbar? You know that if you right click in the lower left corner you get the MOST USEFUL DAMN CONTEXT MENU THAT MS HAS EVER CREATED?!?!? It's AWESOME. Everything you need to manage your computer in one right click. It's FASTER to get to things you need than Win 7.

Every... single... time... Microsoft releases an OS it's BITCH MOAN WHINE. I've been through every single one of them.

Microsoft's 2 biggest problems were WinME (which actually WAS unstable) and Vista (which actually functions just fine and is stable but it's too slow and uses RAM inefficiently.)

Wow lots of bitching and whining out of you.

Why do I -HAVE- to have large fucking multiple screens to list all my programs and program folders? Why -CAN'T- I have system services, program services and program folders under the same menu, instead of it being -SPLIT UP- all over the fucking place between different area's? For fuck sakes -TURNING OFF THE COMPUTER- is a chore in itself because its so unintuitive.

Why -CAN'T- I have my fucking start menu that takes me less then two fucking seconds to navigate, and lists -EVERY- windows function in it?

For me personally, I don't like the look of it. Flat and too much solid colors. I don't like metro popping up in my face when I was already in the desktop. I don't like the changes they made to windows backup (they finally got it right in 7, and then undid it). I don't like that media center was not included. I dont like that basic interface tweaks require 3rd party programs. I don't like how the corners behave over rdp. I don't like making swipe motions with a mouse. I don't like full screen applications - I have a 30 inch monitor, you know, to tile "windows". I don't like an OS that tries to force a digital shopping mall into my computing - not interested in another App Store.

Agree with every point you made.
Didn't know about the backup issue, as I don't use Microsoft's backup.

Windows server 2012 has the same "corners" problem over rdp which really bugs me. If it wasn't for some of the other Server 2012 improvements, I'd stay with 2008R2.

As for desktops/laptops, lucky I can still buy them with Windows 7. And I'll continue to buy them with Windows 7 as long as I can, or until Microsoft comes out with an OS that allows me to disable the Metro UI.

Precisely? People don't like it. It's that simple. Nothing else matters when it comes to the interface. Either people like it or they don't, and that's enough to make it sink or swim, and take a whole bunch of great things down with it.

It's that last little bit of 5%polish that makes the other 95% of the stuff that matters be accepted. It's sad, but a well known fact of human behavior. Think of the guy at work who's done genius things, but is so bad at pitching/presenting he's effectively ignored. Metro = that guys presentation skills.

For me personally, I don't like the look of it. Flat and too much solid colors. I don't like metro popping up in my face when I was already in the desktop. I don't like the changes they made to windows backup (they finally got it right in 7, and then undid it). I don't like that media center was not included. I dont like that basic interface tweaks require 3rd party programs. I don't like how the corners behave over rdp. I don't like making swipe motions with a mouse. I don't like full screen applications - I have a 30 inch monitor, you know, to tile "windows". I don't like an OS that tries to force a digital shopping mall into my computing - not interested in another App Store tyvm.

I LIKE win 7, and all of those precise reasons above keep me from buying win 8, RT, or anything that Microsoft will continue to push in that direction. Doesn't matter if I'm "wrong" or "can't adapt" - Microsoft wants MY money, and for those precise reasons, I'm choosing to keep it in my pocket. That's microsofts problem, not mine. Doesn't matter if these reasons are silly, if they want my money and support - they'll need to figure out how to change my mind. Silly or not - the numbers are beginning to speak for themselves - people are not adopting win 8, and Microsoft needs to figure it out or the slide will continue.
To put it very simply:

Humans will almost always judge a book by its cover.​

It doesn't matter if that 275 lb. woman who is overweight is actually the sweetest and smartest in your class, you will always judge her by her outside appearance because she's fat.

It doesn't matter if that tall, skinny guy who has never worked out in his life, is fairly average looking that he may be the best father a child could ever have but will end up single for the rest of his life because women don't see a father figure but some nerd with an overbite standing at 6'2".

It doesn't matter if that homosexual man married to his partner for ten years in the state of Massachusetts are the best parents to a ten year old girl who's never had loving parents before but are judged for being bad parents just for being homosexuals.

It doesn't matter if this middle income neighborhood made up of primarily Hispanic Americans is the safest neighborhood in your town, but you'll immediately judge them for being illegal immigrants and the neighborhood to be a haven for crime.

Shall I go on?

It's because of fucking stupid human nature that we judge outside appearances first and everything last. And, it's the WORSE human trait we have. It doesn't matter if he or she judges another human being, a car, a house, a neighborhood, a computer, or even software or a cellphone. The outside appearance of any object will provoke an immediate sense of emotion of either disgust or attraction to that object.

And, for Windows 8, seeing how its outside appearance is vastly different than previous versions of Windows from 95 to 7 has provoked similar emotions regardless if there have been improvements made to the operating system internally. That right there is why it has sold poorly or is not helping Microsoft sell the product as much as it'd like to on both desktop PCs and tablets.

Humans by nature will always...
... judge the outside appearance of any object.
... dislike change.
... dislike anything that deviates from the norm.

To put it very simply:

Humans will almost always judge a book by its cover.​

It doesn't matter if that 275 lb. woman who is overweight is actually the sweetest and smartest in your class, you will always judge her by her outside appearance because she's fat.

It doesn't matter if that tall, skinny guy who has never worked out in his life, is fairly average looking that he may be the best father a child could ever have but will end up single for the rest of his life because women don't see a father figure but some nerd with an overbite standing at 6'2".

It doesn't matter if that homosexual man married to his partner for ten years in the state of Massachusetts are the best parents to a ten year old girl who's never had loving parents before but are judged for being bad parents just for being homosexuals.

It doesn't matter if this middle income neighborhood made up of primarily Hispanic Americans is the safest neighborhood in your town, but you'll immediately judge them for being illegal immigrants and the neighborhood to be a haven for crime.

Shall I go on?

It's because of fucking stupid human nature that we judge outside appearances first and everything last. And, it's the WORSE human trait we have. It doesn't matter if he or she judges another human being, a car, a house, a neighborhood, a computer, or even software or a cellphone. The outside appearance of any object will provoke an immediate sense of emotion of either disgust or attraction to that object.

And, for Windows 8, seeing how its outside appearance is vastly different than previous versions of Windows from 95 to 7 has provoked similar emotions regardless if there have been improvements made to the operating system internally. That right there is why it has sold poorly or is not helping Microsoft sell the product as much as it'd like to on both desktop PCs and tablets.

Humans by nature will always...
... judge the outside appearance of any object.
... dislike change.
... dislike anything that deviates from the norm.

I think you're just a fucking idiot

People have -REPEATEDLY- told you its not how Windows 8 looks

Its how windows 8 is -USED AND RUNS-

-THIS- is the fucking thing people have a problem with

Pull your fucking head out of your fucking god damn ass for fucking once.

-People judge outside appearance when their product they have used for over 20 years suddenly requires you to learn a OS all the fuck over again.

-People dislike change -WHEN THE FUCKING OS IS NOT INTUITIVE, IS NOT EASILY FUNCTIONAL, IS NOT PROPERLY LAID OUT AND IS NOT WELL DESIGNED-. If I took the steering wheel out of your fucking car one day and replaced it with electrodes you had to hook up to your fucking thick skull which was proclaimed "BETTER" by the car companies, but it made it 5x harder to control the car, you would be fucking pissed too.

-We don't dislike changes from the norm, we dislike -BAD- changes from the norm. Microsoft has proclaimed for fucking years was released, and even -AFTER- its release that Windows 8 is "FASTER! BETTER! EASIER TO CONTROL!" yet -NOBODY- can fucking use it -WITHOUT- being taught first. The reason almost -ALL- OS's before Win 8 ran in the same way was because its a UI that has been -PERFECTED- over the last twenty plus fucking years. All OS's have a basic start menu. All OS's have a easy to use recycle bin. All OS's allow you to access system components from a easy to use menu

NOT WINDOWS 8!

"WE GOT TO RE-INVENT THE WHEEL BY GIVING YOU A TRIANGLE! WHAT?! YOU DON'T LIKE THE TRIANGLE?! ITS EIGHTY PERCENT LIGHTER AND THIRTY PERCENT FASTER THEN THE WHEEL!!! YOU'RE JUST SOME DULLARD WHO BITCHES BECAUSE THE RIDE ISN'T AS SMOOTH AS THE WHEEL, IF YOU WERE A TRUE INTELLECTUAL YOU WOULD SEE THE TRIANGLE IS BETTER!" <-- This is what you fucking sound like.

We -HATE- windows 8 because the fucking OS -FIGHTS YOU- in every, single, possible fucking way.

And Microsoft -STILL- has its colossal head up its fucking ass because when they polled windows 8 customers -WHAT THEY FUCKING WANTED MOST, NINETY SIX PERCENT OF THEM THEIR NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT WAS THEY WANTED THE FUCKING START MENU BACK!-

And -WHY- is windows 8 designed like this?

Well, cause I fucking mentioned it -BEFORE-, windows has its head completely shoved entirely up its own fucking ass

"THE WORLD RUNS ON WINDOWS! NINETY EIGHT PERCENT OF COMPUTERS IN THE WORLD USE WINDOWS!!! OUR USERS ARE FORCED TO USE WINDOWS BECAUSE THE WORLD RUNS ON WINDOWS! HOW CAN WE EXPLOIT THIS?!"

"WE'RE MAKING NEW TABLETS AND PHONES, BUT THEY ARE NOT BEING WELL RECEIVED, NOBODY LIKES THEM"

"MAKE WINDOWS 8 OS THE EXACT SAME! IF WE FORCE THEM ALL TO USE WINDOWS 8, THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BUY WINDOWS 8 PHONE AND TABLETS IN ORDER TO FULLY USE THEM!"

"FUCKING BRILLIANT!"

The fucking thing is -NOBODY- is fucking falling for it. Windows 8 the adoption rate is -BARELY- above what Vista was in this same fucking time period, -REPORTEDLY- Microsoft is fucking -SKEWING- these numbers because they are counting -PC'S THAT ARE SOLD AND FORCED TO HAVE WINDOWS EIGHT, AND NOT PEOPLE BUYING WINDOWS EIGHT SKU'S FROM STORES-

The OS is -FUCKING SHIT-

I do not give a fuck if it runs with 10% less memory used

I do not give a fuck if it loads 4% faster

I do not give a fuck if it requires 20% power to run

ITS FUCKING DESIGN IS PURE FUCKING SHIT!!!

NOW GET THIS THROUGH YOUR FUCKING SKULL. ITS NOT HOW THE FUCKING OS LOOKS, ITS HOW IT FUCKING WORKS AND RUNS!!!

The fucking thing is -NOBODY- is fucking falling for it. Windows 8 the adoption rate is -BARELY- above what Vista was in this same fucking time period, -REPORTEDLY- Microsoft is fucking -SKEWING- these numbers because they are counting -PC'S THAT ARE SOLD AND FORCED TO HAVE WINDOWS EIGHT, AND NOT PEOPLE BUYING WINDOWS EIGHT SKU'S FROM STORES-
I HATE to TELL you but it's been REPORTED that way for MANY YEARS now. THEY DIDNT just start doing it for WINDOWS EIGHT. :D

A similar article I was reading earlier said that Windows 7 PCs and laptops are going for a premium over the Windows 8 PCs and laptops. That's rather telling.

OK, we get that you really, really HATE Win8, but not everyone does. Could MS improve it? Sure. Under the hood, where it counts, is it all bad? No.

Get over yourself, you sanctimonious douchebag.

Except fucking assholes keep saying "BLAH BLAH BLAH YOU ONLY HATE WINDOWS 8 CAUSE OF HOW IT LOOKS BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Their heads are shoved so far up their fucking asses its incredible.

Make a shitty product, get a shitty response from consumers.

That being said, Linux is not the answer for consumers. I know, I know, it's the Year of Linux Desktop again (18 years in a row!), but until they put all of the Windows productivity and gaming software on Linux natively, then it's never ever going to happen ever.

I think MS is finally starting to become aware that the Sheeple sometimes wake up and don't always take shit. The internet is sometimes a sleeping giant, but when woken or riled, it can be pretty fearsome. Just ask congress when they tried to pull their SOPA BS :D

I hate it when people accept things as "just the way things are" and buy products anyway. The only way you can affect any change in the way that companies do business is by NOT buying products that you have a problem with (or made by companies you have a problem with). It doesn't mean that it will always bring about change, but sometimes it does. I stopped buying CD's when they started putting DRM on them and wouldn't drop the prices. Eventually the industry pulled it's head (at least partially) out of its ass and now we have digital distribution with no DRM. Yeah, it took a long time, but it finally worked because people were fed up with the old business model.

I think the opposition to Windows 8 has been very well stated by others in this thread, so I won't voice my redundant opinion. What I will say is, if you don't like the direction MS is headed with their OS, then don't buy their F'in products. Not selling what they expect and losing money is the ONLY thing that will make them take another look and realize their mistakes.

Back