How I fixed my throttling issue with 7950 Boost

striker444

Gawd
Wanted to share this info to anyone struggling with the issues I had with throttling. I've looked in this and in several different forums to see if anyone has the same issue as me, I've seen even some with a XFX Double D 7970's having this issue and no one was able to resolve it.

I tried/verified the following along with the others I found with this issue and were still being throttled:
Drivers, uninstall, reinstall, different ones, using reg cleaners etc etc...
Different OC: utilities, CCC, TriXX, Afterburner, RadeonPro OC profiles etc...
Verifying VRM temps are below 100c
Verifying GPU temps are below 85c (In my case Powercolor states that throttling will happen at 95c this excludes boost obviously so it will drop the card below 850 mhz at these temps)
GPU voltages are normal
Power Supply voltages
Reinstalling Windows
Disabling ULPS

The odd thing about my throttling issue was if I ran benchmarks like Heaven 4.0 I didn't have any, even for prolonged runs and the GPU was at 99-100%. Same with some non demanding games such as Counter Strike GO. If I were to play Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3, the throttling began around 60c. If I kept everything at stock settings, I would see it go from 850mhz to 925mhz constantly even though it was forced to 925mhz. The only way I could resolve this was by upping my Powertune to 20%, around 10% it would become mostly constant. Some say this is due to a low ASIC (mine is 63%) but I have seen others reporting this issue with as high as 86%.

So you get to keep your boost speeds constant, great but what if you wanted to OC? Anything above 925mhz would kick in throttling eventually, sometimes it would take 10-15 min but it would always happen. I thought it was my temps so I ran my fan at 100% and even at 65c max the card would throttle.

My fix was exactly this:

Installed MSI Afterburner,

Reboot

Launched AB with a /xcl at the end of it and ran it as an admin (This edits the Powerplay Tables)

Reboot

Exported the following in the registry: (see this link for more info http://www.techimo.com/forum/graphi...9-enable-higher-overclocks-ccc-reg-entry.html)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

NOTE: there is no space from the 4 and the D, not sure why its putting that in there

Note the 0000 at the end could be something else, in my case it was 0002

Edited the following value in PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable:
Look down about 4 lines and you'll see the number 14 in between a bunch of zeros.
Carefully change the 14 to a 32, making sure not to change or add any spaces or extra commas.

Close it and let it save it. Then click on it and allow it to merge.

Reboot

This will let you change your Powertune setting from +20% to +50%

Opened AB and I set my clocks and fan speeds to where it would be at 79c max on the GPU and 86c max on my VRM's (for my cards case, that was 1075/1500 77% fan max, its a reference Powercolor 7950B)

Set my voltage to 1.169 in my case as yours will differ. NOTE: You need to set "force constant voltage" in AB, I did not do this at first and noticed my card hit 80c in Crysis and it then reset its org values to 925mhz max, not sure if it had to do with the temp or because the voltage wasn't enforced.

Set my powertune to 50%

After this I was able to play all my games at the speeds I actually set it to, with ZERO fluctuation.My assumption on all of this is its due to the BIOS from the manufacture, some vary from others on boost and throttling reasons. I would attempt flashing it to something else but I don't want to brick the card as it does not have a dual bios option.

Last edited:
Wow. Nice job. Any chance this will be a fix in the next update for AB? You should send it to them.

Yes that's for the powertuner (I even included the 1st link in my post) but what about enforcing constant voltages, fan profiles etc, I needed to do all of them in order to get mine right and AB was what I used, I'm sure you can do that with just about any utility but that wasn't the point of my post.

Back