FreeNAS / Openfiler / Microsoft iSCSI performance shootout

agrikk

Gawd
In this thread I take a look at the performance capababilities of three free iSCSI Target software platforms: FreeNAS, Openfiler, and Microsoft iSCSI Target.

I will be comparing file copy performance as well as raw Input/Output Operations Per Second (IOPS) in various test configurations.

Background:

I am building a clustered lab consisting of two Windows Server 2008 R2 boxes that will be running the SQL Server 2008 R2 suite of products (SQL Server, Analysis Services and Integration services) and two ESXi 5.1 boxes that will be running some windows VMs (for a SQL Server Reporting Services web pool) and linux boxes (for monitoring and other web services). I had planned on building an iSCSI-based SAN to provide shared storage for both clusters and needed a free iSCSI target solution.

I wanted to use iSCSI for the additional technological challenge of setting it up in a load-balanced/highly-available configuration to make my cluster as "production ready" as possible.

LabLayout.png

After doing some research, I found three products that I wanted to take a look at:

FreeNAS - FreeNAS is an Open Source Storage Platform based on FreeBSD and supports sharing across Windows, Apple, and UNIX-like systems. FreeNAS 8 includes ZFS, which supports high storage capacities and integrates file systems and volume management into a single piece of software.

Openfiler - Any industry standard x86 or x86/64 server can be converted into a powerful multi-protocol network storage appliance, replete with an intuitive browser-based management interface, in as little as 15 minutes. File-based storage networking protocols such as CIFS and NFS ensure cross-platform compatibility in homogeneous networks - with client support for Windows, Linux, and Unix. Fibre channel and iSCSI target features provide excellent integration capabilities for virtualization environments such as Xen and VMware.

Microsoft iSCSI Target - Microsoft iSCSI Software Target provides centralized, software-based and hardware-independent iSCSI disk subsystems in storage area networks (SANs). You can use iSCSI Software Target, which includes a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in, to create iSCSI targets and iSCSI virtual disks. You can then use the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target console to manage all iSCSI targets and virtual disks created by using iSCSI Software Target.

I have used FreeNAS and Openfiler before, but this was my first look at Microsoft's product as it was formerly only available via Microsoft Storage Server installed on OEM boxes.

The Setup:

I used some spare gear I had laying around and kept the setup as stock as possible:

TestSetup.png

- The file server is a whitebox setup that is part of my home network.

- The switches are three TP-LINK TL-SG1016D unmanaged switches.

- The Iometer server that runs my IOPS tests and file copy tests:
-- AMD Athlon X2 5200+ CPU
-- ASUS M2N-E motherboard
-- 8GB Crucial RAM
-- 2x WD Blue 500GB Hard drives (RAID-0)
-- Access network NIC: nForce gigE
-- iSCSI network NIC: Intel 2-port gigE PCIe

- The iSCSI Target server:
-- Supermicro AS-1012G-MTF 1U Rackmount Server
-- AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8-Core CPU
-- 16GB (8x2GB) Kingston unbuffered ValueRAM
-- 5 x Western Digital WD Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM HD (1 OS, 4 JBOD data)

The Iometer server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

While the Supermicro H8SGL-F motherboard has an on-board Adaptec RAID controller, it is a software solution with non-native drivers required. To keep things simple and as apples-to-apples as possible, I configured the BIOS to force the controller into AHCI-SATA mode instead of RAID and will configure the data array in RAID-0 through the OS.

Since this was a performance test in a lab environment, I opted to configure the data array on the filer in RAID-0 to give as much juice as possible to the disk subsystem. FreeNAS has some advanced configuration options with RAID-Z and RAID-2Z, and the software RAID drivers for Windows provided by Supermicro are awesome, but to keep the playing field as level as possible, RAID-0 configured through the OS was what I chose. For the love of god, please never use RAID-0 for a data storage volume unless you know what you are doing and have a solid backup strategy in place!

After installing the Filer OS on disk0, disks 1-4 were configured through the OS as RAID-0, meaning that all I/O operations were handled through the OS. No hardware acceleration was used.

With each Filer setup the iometer server was configured to mount three 50gb volumes using the native iSCSI Initiator feature that comes bundled with Windows 2008 R2. The Multipath I/O (MPIO) Feature was also enabled to allow multiple paths to the filer from the server across two different switches to increase available bandwidth to the target as well as providing fault tolerance like you would find in a production environment.

After doing some research, I discovered that using the Multiple Connections per Session (MCS) functionality in Microsoft's iSCSI Initiator should be avoided as it isn't implemented on some systems and isn't supported by VMware.

Some further reading:

link1

link2

The Tests:

I came up with a set of nine tests that I hoped would give a good representation of lab tests and real-world scenarios. The file copy tests were performed using robocopy.exe found Windows 2008 R2. the IOmeter tests were performed using version 2006.07.27 of IOmeter installed on the test box. The IOmeter tests were run for a period of 30 minutes each.

The File Copy tests:

Each of the next three tests involved a robocopy job copying files from an external file server to one or more iscsi volumes mounted locally on the iometer test server. These would test the write ability of the filer and the ability to handle multiple streams at once.

Test 1 - A single robocopy job that copies 3 large files (~15.5GB) from a file server to an iSCSI volume. This setup tests the raw sequential write ability of the filer.

Test 2 - Two robocopy jobs copying three large files (~15.5GB) to each of two iscsi volumes. Another sequential write test, but with two different write streams occuring simultaneously. The results are the sum of the duration of both copy jobs.

Test 3 - A single robocopy job copying a large amount of data in various file types (13,000 files / 20GB data). I wanted to see the throughput of a simulated robocopy-based backup job.

IOPS tests - Sequential Read

These are the kind of tests that typically put up big numbers that storage vendors like to put up on their web sites. 100% sequential read takes out all of the seek time latency and removes any mechanical latency caused by the write process. IOmeter was configured on the test server to place a read load on one-, two-, or three volumes simultaneously. I wanted to see how the IOPS score scaled as multiple volumes were accessed simultaneously.

Test 4 - 100% Read / 100% Sequential on one iscsi volume mounted locally

Test 5 - 100% Read / 100% Sequential on two iscsi volumes mounted locally

Test 6 - 100% Read / 100% Sequential on three iscsi volumes mounted locally

IOPS tests - SQL disk access pattern

These are more real world tests, involving read/write patterns that approximate the disk usage pattern of a large SQL database:

SQLServerAccessSpecification.PNG

In this test case, access patters are completely random across the entire volume, and involve mostly read operations but contain some write operations as well. These tests put a serious strain on the disks and from the massive clicking coming from the disk array during the tests caused by the heads seeking across the platters I thought I would kill a disk for sure.

Test 7 - 67% Read / 100% Random on one isci volume mounted locally

Test 8 - 67% Read / 100% Random on two isci volumes mounted locally

Test 9 - 67% Read / 100% Random on three isci volumes mounted locally

The Results:

The charts below show direct comparisons of the test results.

The file copy tests (results in seconds - the lower the better):

test1-2-3results.PNG

In the single copy of large files, all three post similar scores as the access network becomes the bottleneck. But in the multiple copy streams test and the small files test, FreeNAS lags behind and surprisingly the Microsoft iSCSI target edges out Openfiler.

The sequential read tests (Raw IOPS scores - the higher the better):

test4-5-6results.PNG

Here FreeNAS is the clear performance leader, with Openfiler and Microsoft coming in neck and neck. Unfortunately, unless you are running a software jukebox or some kind of media server, this is a synthetic score with very little real-world implications.

The random read/write tests (Raw IOPS scores - the higher the better):

test7-8-9results.PNG

In these tests, FreeNAS gets left behind by both Openfiler and Microsoft who trade performance lead between the tests.

Conclusion:

The purpose of this test was to find the best performing iSCSI target with all other things being equal. Under this criteria alone, it would be a split decision between Openfiler and Microsoft.

However, the Microsoft solution requires the purchase of a licensed copy of Windows 2008 R2 server to run its filer software so it isn't exactly free. In addition, Openfiler can be run from a USB key, leaving all disks available for storage, where Microsoft cannot easily be run from anything other than a hard drive, taking up storage space for the OS.

With this added criteria, Openfiler emerges as the iSCSI champ.

Postscript:

However, since I already have a Windows file server running with a beefy RAID card sitting under utilized and with ports available, I am considering adding 4 drives in a hardware RAID-10 array and dedicating that volume to iscsi storage using the Microsoft iSCSI target software. This would remove the requirement for a dedicated iSCSI target which would save space in my rack and potentially save power. Although my file server stays on 24/7 so the energy drain of four drives spinning all the time may be significant and a dedicated iSCSI target would be powered off most of the time so...

Last edited:
FreeNAS Test Results

Robocopy tests

Test 1

Test1network.png

test1robocopy.png

Test 2

Test2network.png

test2robocopy1.png

test2robocopy2.png

Test 3

Test3network.png

test3robocopy.png

100% Sequential Read IOPS tests

Test 4

Test4network.png

test4display.png

test4tach.png

Test 5

Test5network.png

test5display.png

test5tach.png

Test 6

test6display.png

test6tach.png

100% Random 67% Read IOPS tests

Test 7

Test7network.png

test7display.png

test7tach.png

Test 8

Test8network.png

test8display.png

test8tach.png

Test 9

Test9network.png

test9display.png

test9tach.png

Last edited:
Microsoft Test Results

Robocopy tests

Test 1

Test1network.png

test1robocopy.png

Test 2

Test2network.png

test2robocopy1.png

test2robocopy2.png

Test 3

Test3network.png

test3robocopy.png

Test 4

Test4network.png

test4display.png

test4tach.png

Test 5

Test5network.png

test5display.png

test5tach.png

Test 6

test6display.png

test6tach.png

test6network.png

Test 7

Test7network.png

test7display.png

test7tach.png

Test 8

Test8network.png

test8display.png

test8tach.png

Test 9

Test9network.png

test9display.png

test9tach.png

Last edited:
Openfiler Test Results

Robocopy tests

Test 1

Test1network.png

test1robocopy.png

Test 2

Test2network.png

test2robocopy1.png

test2robocopy2.png

Test 3

Test3network.png

test3robocopy.png

Test 4

Test4network.png

test4display.png

test4tach.png

Test 5

Test5network.png

test5display.png

test5tach.png

Test 6

test6display.png

test6tach.png

test6network.png

Test 7

Test7network.png

test7display.png

test7tach.png

Test 8

Test8network.png

test8display.png

test8tach.png

Test 9

Test9network.png

test9display.png

test9tach.png

Last edited:
Have you considered Solaris based options as well like http://www.zfsbuild.com/
ex. Solaris 11 (commercial) or OmniOS (free fork).

Their Comstar iSCSI stack is very powerfull and feature rich

Very interesting.

Solaris is very much faster than FreeNAS, can you test an Solaris distro? Solaris is used in very large storage servers, FreeNAS is not.

I'm honestly amazed the MS target held up like that, would not have expected it to break even with OI.

If you're taking requests: Windows Server 2012 target and maybe throw in a little MPIO.

Whatever I had just assumed the MS one would be crap compared to any *nix competition, so unless OF is complete garbage compared to OI or other higher performance systems, MS might actually not completely suck in this department.

Other than not supporting thin LUNs seriously wtf.

I'm honestly amazed the MS target held up like that, would not have expected it to break even with OI.

If you're taking requests: Windows Server 2012 target and maybe throw in a little MPIO.

Right? I was as surprised as you to see Microsoft hold up so well. On the server side it's amazingly resource-light as well. Maybe 2-4% CPU utilization and at peak load it was something liker 180mb RAM consumed. Bravo for them, I say.

Also, each of these tests were performed with MPIO configured on the iSCSI initiator. This is indicated by the network utilization charts showing two iSCSI networks being used at the same time for each test, indicating iSCSI traffic utilizing both network paths.

Though I hadn't planned to test any more flavors, I am interested in learning more about the Solaris implementation of iSCSI so I might do that.

And Windows 2012 is so new it might be fun to mess around with it as a target as well.

I misread your setup, thought you were doing the file transfers from file server to the target and using the iometer server to monitor the traffic, which I thought was weird, but whatever worked for you (which obviously wasn't what I thought)

Yeah no. :)

There were two different types of tests: One set (tests 1 through 3) were file copy tests measuring speed of transfer, the other set (tests 4 though nine) were IOPS tests.

Have you considered Solaris based options as well like http://www.zfsbuild.com/
ex. Solaris 11 (commercial) or OmniOS (free fork).

Their Comstar iSCSI stack is very powerfull and feature rich

I would be wary of messing with ZFS stuff, if you have a large array. We had a ZFS file server for awhile and the problem was that after disk failures, resilvers (what they call rebuilds) took a LOOOOONG time. Like 45 days. Now granted it was a big array, like 30TB, but still. This was on high end hardware, Xeon server board, Areca RAID controller, that kind of stuff. It was a purpose built storage server from Broadberry.

Our searching and asking around lead us to find many similar stories, and no solutions. All the ZFS heads would just come back with "YUOR HAERDWARE SUCKS!!1" and then when given the full specs of the system say "Oh, well thin I dunno what's wrong, have fun!" We never could solve it and eventually moved the data off, blew it away, and set it up as hardware RAID-6 with RHEL on top.

I'd stick with hardware RAID-6 stuff instead. Works much better when it comes to rebuilds in my experience.

In contrast

Especially with large arrays, you should consider a CopyOn Write FS like Btrfs, WinReFS or ZFS where there is no need
of a fschk that can last days and keep your data offline in the meantime without a real repair option - beside the other security
problems on large filesystems without checksums like bitrot and undetected read/write problems due to various problems.

There are only some rare cases where a Hardwareraid is faster than a Softwareraid on modern hardware. It is also less
secury even with a battery unit due to a write hole problem. Your ZFS resilver time indeed indicates a hardware or configuration problem.
Typical ZFS resilver time on SSD mirrors is less than an hour, on a Raid-Z2 vdevs with 10 x 2 TB disks is up to 2 days. There is also
no Raid corruption if some of the disks get interrupted/disconnected for whatever reason.

If you have used an Areca (bad choice for ZFS), I suppose you have used Hardware-Raid with ZFS so resilver is a controller thing.

Wouldn't call 30TB a big array. I have bigger array but replacing a disk and resilvier takes only a few hours, much faster than hardware raid controller.

Your problem might be the Areca RAID controller because ZFS loves HBA, not raid card.

The zfs takes a long time to resilver, can easily be a hardware thing, but it normally is not.

Generally, it is cause the system isn't idle, and there are things you can tune to make the resilver more resource intensive if you can't stop all i/o on the system.

The other thing that greatly causes it to slow down, is using small files, If the system was used to store 4-16k emails in maildir format, yes, it will be painfully slow. ZFS rebuilds happen on a transaction level (could say, file level for simplicity), instead of per block/cluster like normal raid does it.

Also, a rebuild will only happen at the speed of the slowest disk, so when using raidz, can cause you more issues ontop of everything else, if the other disks are not 100%

So if they only asked about you hardware, and said they don't know why it sucks, they don't know how zfs works anyways.

Some prelim data from setting up WS2012 iSCSI over dual 10Gbit links w/ MPIO from a setup I'm testing that might be pertinent here.

iscsi_boot_bench2.png

I couldn't seem to get it to go over 800MB/s with a single thread so I ran the 2 above tests simultaneously and sustained 1500-1600MB/s for most of the sequential test, but since both targets were on the same RAID card and even on the same RAID array I'm not sure why it could only do 800MB/s for one but 1600MB/s for both...

Back