What are my 2013 options for a glossy 27" / 1080p monitor?

Cristi

n00b
Hello @ all,
I am looking to buy a new 27" monitor and I am a fan of glossy displays, I've been using one (the Samsung 960BG) for a few good years and I couldn't go back to a matte screen.

Which would be my options for a monitor with these characteristics:

- 27" glossy 1080p (unlike others I prefer 1080 on this screen size for two reasons: I prefer the text and icons large, and besides I can't afford a 1440p screen yet because I know it implies higher end video cards for fluid gaming);

- good for gaming (I use it for fps, rpg and rts games about 70% of time, 25% browsing and office and 5% the occasional movie);

- $500-$700 price range but I could pay even more for a good monitor if there is one;

- I don't have a preference for TN or IPS as long as it meets the above reqs.

I love the ultra clear panel on Samsungs (S27A950D / 750D) I have seen them in stores and @ friends, S27A950D would have been my 1st choice if I was ready to make the purchase last year, but in the meantime the dealers in my country (Romania) have unlisted both 950 and 750 models and I asked @ the main Samsung distribution and they said the 3d models have been discontinued by Samsung and won't come back in stores. I would prefer not to buy a second hand or refurbished 950D, especially since I found out in the dedicated discussions that a lot of units have been sent back by users.

Another screen that I like is the DELL S2740L it looks so stylish and affordable but unfortunately that edge to edge glass seems a little too reflective even for a glossy lover like me, I saw it in a store and it's way more reflective than samsung's ultra clear and the gap between the glass and the panel seems to accentuate the reflections. This will however be my choice of purchase if I can't find a better glossy 27 implementation this year.

Could anyone help me find a glossy monitor with these specifications, other than the Dell S2740L? It doesn't necessarily have to be released already, I can wait a few more months for a monitor like this if there are any new announced that you know of. Thank you very much.

To quote myself from an earlier topic on the Dell,

I returned the Dell S2740L to Amazon after using it for ~3 weeks, I couldn't stand gaming on it. The overdrive the monitor has to improve pixel response leaves a dark overshoot behind moving objects, it's extremely noticeable and you can't turn it off.

I wouldn't consider it an option for gaming under any circumstances, unless they manage to add a way to disable the overdrive.

I agree with Syradil, the Dell S2740L overshoots too much to recommended for gaming

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...-1920x1080-edge-ege-glass-ips.html#post872546

The HP 27xi is essentially the same as the Dell but it does not have overshoot issues. If one does not like the HP's bezel there is always the Acer S275HL, it has the same overshoot issues as the Dell but the overdrive can be deactivated by following these instructions

How about the NEC EA24WMi? It is semi-glossy

2x reviews from in depth sites, use chrome or google to translate

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5282...irovanie_monitora_NEC_MultiSync_EA244WMi.html
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recen...mi-je-levny-polomatny-ips-1920-x-1200-px-test

HP Envy 27 would be another choice.

27" 1080p glossy IPS with decent built-in speakers. No overdrive overshoot.

I would've been happy with it but I was looking for a matte display, so I returned it.

Thank you all for the prompt replies. The HP's (27xi and especially Envy) seem to be what I need, nice glossy screens, I will wait until there are some in depth reviews and gaming tests on Youtube.

The plastic stand and border on the 27xi looks cheap, but it is a cheap monitor after all, while I'm sure a good part of the Envy's price is due to the "beats audio" thing which won't benefit me at all, I never use the monitor's speakers. However I will overlook this if the monitor performs well in games and has a good quality glass coating. It's somewhat similar to the S27A950D's 3d capability, I would have paid for it although I have no intention to use the 3d, as long as the rest of the features make the whole package worth the price...

However I will overlook this if the monitor performs well in games and has a good quality glass coating.

only the dell s2740l has glass over the panel. the others are simply glossy.

all of these monitors have low input lag (less than half a frame) and the hp and philips both have configurable overdrives, so no rtc overshoot artifacts.

the only lcd's that will perform better in games are 120hz tn's.

only the dell s2740l has glass over the panel. the others are simply glossy.
I have read in several places this "edge to edge glass" thing about the Envy 27, I would like someone who owns this model to confirm if there is any glass on the Envy 27 or just the glossy panel.

‘Envy 27’ (...) is HP’s other model in their early 2013 line-up designed for the home user. The underlying panel is actually similar to the 27xi, or perhaps more accurately the Dell S2740L. It features an AH-IPS with 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) resolution, 7ms grey to grey response time and an edge-to-edge glass screen surface. According to some press reports reflections aren’t as problematic as you’d expect from such a display, indicating that it may have some sort of anti-reflective coating on the glass.

Unfortunately I haven't found youtube unboxing and reviews for this monitor, just this one in Polish maybe it's too soon or this model isn't popular at all.

I have read in several places this "edge to edge glass" thing about the Envy 27, I would like someone who owns this model to confirm if there is any glass on the Envy 27 or just the glossy panel.

Unfortunately I haven't found youtube unboxing and reviews for this monitor, just this one in Polish maybe it's too soon or this model isn't popular at all.

Hi
I'm Polish, I've read the review and review states that there is end to end glass on this monitor. Also it can be clearly seen on youtube movies. Unfortunate is that the monitor is not available in UK.

Hi
I'm Polish, I've read the review and review states that there is end to end glass on this monitor. Also it can be clearly seen on youtube movies.

it looks like edge to edge glass, but it's really not. none of these slim 'bezelless' ips panels use actual glass in front of the panel, it's thin plastic (probably polycarbonate) and because of the way these panels are constructed they superficially look like edge to edge glass in photos. touch one in person and it becomes immediately apparent that it's not glass.

but does it really matter? it's glossy and the polycarbonate affords the panel a bit of protection.

if you really want a glossy 27" 1080p monitor with edge to edge glass, your only option is the dell s2740l.

it looks like edge to edge glass, but it's really not. none of these slim 'bezelless' ips panels use actual glass in front of the panel, it's thin plastic (probably polycarbonate) and because of the way these panels are constructed they superficially look like edge to edge glass in photos. touch one in person and it becomes immediately apparent that it's not glass.

but does it really matter? it's glossy and the polycarbonate affords the panel a bit of protection.

if you really want a glossy 27" 1080p monitor with edge to edge glass, your only option is the dell s2740l.

I've bought S2740l to use at my work, I've used it for two days and I can't stand it.
Reflections are heavy and making picture not perfect, also the "glass" or whatever material is used reflects inner parts of bezel which makes content in corner of the screen unreadable.

At home I've got glossy Samsung S27A750 and it's much better screen, it has his issues with loosing signal, but at least the reflections aren't as distracting.

As to the HP, you're right it might be something else then glass, but there's definitely a second layer of material not attached directly to the to the displaying part on that model.

Back