Cox Targets Pirates With 10+ Strikes Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
While I like the fact that Cox is being a bit more lenient than other ISPs, how many strikes do you really need? :eek:

Preferring to handle file-sharing in its own way, Cox was one of the few large ISPs that refused to take part in the United States’ “six-strikes” scheme. Cox operates its own 10+ strikes program featuring warnings and temporary Internet restrictions in the early stages. The Internet provider stops short of detailing the end-game but if earlier statements are to believed, repeat infringers are likely to have their accounts terminated.

I've had COX Cable internet service since 1996. Never had any problems with them. Just upgraded to a docsis 3.0 modem and now getting 32MB down and 22 up!

Can't complain with just the $50 plan.

I've had COX Cable internet service since 1996. Never had any problems with them. Just upgraded to a docsis 3.0 modem and now getting 32MB down and 22 up!

Considering Cox has data caps AND throttling schemes, there's a lot to complain about.

I have never experienced Caps or Throttling in my 15+ years using them

Considering Cox has data caps AND throttling schemes, there's a lot to complain about.

Citation bloody well needed. A lot of my friends use Cox, and none of them have ever run afoul of a cap or a throttle. Hell, one of them even goes through almost a terabyte of data a month, and not so much as a peep in six years.

Citation bloody well needed. A lot of my friends use Cox, and none of them have ever run afoul of a cap or a throttle. Hell, one of them even goes through almost a terabyte of data a month, and not so much as a peep in six years.

Just two quick search results...

" Cox is exposed as the most heavy throttler among the major ISPs, but with 6 percent this is still rather acceptable."

http://torrentfreak.com/new-data-exposes-bittorrent-throttling-isps-120809/

"Cox Says They'll Boot Repeat Cap Violators
Four Strikes And Your Service Gets Cut Off"

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cox-Says-Theyll-Boot-Repeat-Cap-Violators-116350

Oh wow, so in other words Cox won't to cut some of its most profitable users loose. I guess this is why they are going with a 10 strike system. Today I've already downloaded about 84GB of data (legit and only one program) over Cox :D

Only getting 24 down & 11 up on my new docsis 3.0 modem. They have caps, but they are very loosely enforced. I've never seen a warning even though I know I've blown through the cap some months.

Only biggest problem I've had with Cox internet, is that I've had to replace my cable modem about every 8 years because the old one started having problems due to it no longer being supported :)

I'm on cox too, but what I don't get is they say my modem is capable for 50mb/s then I asked them again a week later, and they said my modem isn't, (I got the free upgrade from 18mb/s to 50mb/s) :/

3 strikes is more than enough.

1st strike - Huh? Typical reaction.
2nd strike - You know better.
3rd strike - Meet Bubba.

Been on Cox for years, never had an issue. I've downloaded around 4tb in the past few months. I get around 95d/30u without issue.

I'm guessing caps/throttling are only in areas where their network might not be as robust/reliable?

We got a notice a few weeks ago from Cox basically saying that since we use so much bandwidth, that we "should" upgrade to Cox Ultimate. We currently have Cox Premiere.

I got 3 notices and throttling in my area with Cox. I now have 75/35 FIOS, pay less money and have yet to have any issues.

Cox is awesome.

They are very lenient if you have a cable & phone package and don't draw attention to yourself.

They are not lenient if you are a internet only subscriber.

Although I have Cox as well, I'm feeling that all of the big boy ISPs suck for merely mentioning such methods to squash anything they don't agree with. :mad:

We got a notice a few weeks ago from Cox basically saying that since we use so much bandwidth, that we "should" upgrade to Cox Ultimate. We currently have Cox Premiere.

I have a theory about these speed tests and your ISP. They let you have burst rates like this for a short period of time. Just long enough to score well on a speed test, then they throttle. I executed the same speed test repeatedly and the stats declined to roughly half by the 3rd or 4th time. I could repeat this behavior faithfully.

In a way, I can see a legitimate reason for that. Most of what people do, loading webpages is a short burst activity. So it helps there. But it also deceives speed tests.

As a comparative study:
It might be interesting to see the numbers as to those that get throttled AND have the ISP software installed (from the initial setup of the service) vs. those that don't.

I've never experienced throttling, and while yes Cox has a cap (200GB in my case), it's a soft cap that's not enforced. I go over it three or four times a year (thanks Steam) without consequence.

A rule of thumb is to NEVER install the crapware sent to you as a "gift" for getting internets with an ISP. Just what I would ever ask for, McAf-Murder Security (the owner himself and a shotgun), Norton Shitware 360, etc., from Cox or ATT. About the only one around here that doesn't is Verizon.

All I could hope for sent to me anymore is bonzibuddy, ask toolbar, shopathome, searchconduit homepage with 20 toolbars and 30 BHO's supporting me to get me 50 results from one page and possibly an infected scrotum.

I got a notice once for DLing Assassin's Creed II years ago. Ever since then i just DL older movies (3-4 years old at least). and havent gotten a notice since.

I have a theory about these speed tests and your ISP. They let you have burst rates like this for a short period of time. Just long enough to score well on a speed test, then they throttle. I executed the same speed test repeatedly and the stats declined to roughly half by the 3rd or 4th time. I could repeat this behavior faithfully.

In a way, I can see a legitimate reason for that. Most of what people do, loading webpages is a short burst activity. So it helps there. But it also deceives speed tests.

I grabbed a few shows from usenet afterwards and was consistently hitting 4MB/s speeds.

I just got dinged by COX (like today, right now), I didn't even know added data caps! Nothing for piracy, but for downloading over 300GB of my own files while restoring my new computer. Seriously, I love the rep I got too, "most of the time people staying logged into Netflix', my ass, "you just need to be aware not to stay logged into Netflix", WTF? I could tell him exactly where the data use came from, fark, its only 1/3 through my billing cycle and I have 2 games I'm looking forward to playing still coming out this month.

Back