Apple Aims to Outdo Google's Street View

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ummm, considering the absolute mess that Apple Maps turned out to be, you'll have to excuse me if I don't buy the idea of this "outdoing Street View."

Published today by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Apple's "3D Position Tracking for Panoramic Imagery Navigation" patent filing describes a navigation technology that looks and works like Street View. The system would display a panoramic image of a certain location on your mobile device, allowing you to virtually move around the area.

Outdo? How much more is really needed, short of maybe HD views. Even that is kind of a 'meh' thing for me. Frankly, for the sake of directions, so long as it's fairly up to date, I use street view to get an idea of what I'm looking at in the area. Gone are the days where I might need to drive out to a potential job interview to see how to get there and be on time. I can just use Google Street Viewg

Apple. The ultimate "Me, too!" company.

"The system would display a panoramic image of a certain location on your mobile device"

Replace "mobile device" with PC... and wow it's Street View.

isnt Street View just an online application. is there some limitation where you can't access it via a smart phone or tablet?

"The system would display a panoramic image of a certain location on your mobile device"

isnt Street View just an online application. is there some limitation where you can't access it via a smart phone or tablet?

Only if it didn't have data streaming to it. I can walk around and let Street View track me as I go. Looking at a phone picture to match my destination in real life is already possible.

Apple's "3D Position Tracking for Panoramic Imagery Navigation" patent filing describes a navigation technology that looks and works like Street View. The system would display a panoramic image of a certain location on your mobile device, allowing you to virtually move around the area.

At first I thought to myself, this sounds like what Street Views already does... then I saw 3d position tracking... so I next thought, it knows where you are... then sends that panoramic view to your smart phone so you can virtually move around in the area that you already are?

Street view already works on maps for android.

Dear Apple,

Try fixing Maps to actually Work first...Then you can talk about one upping everyone else.

Good luck to them. If they think they can compete with google I lol. It took years and billions of dollars for google to get street view, I seriously doubt that Apple has the know how to do it. If they do I hope Google sues the shit out of them. Hell MS could do this but they haven't cause they are going against google.

I seriously doubt that Apple has the know how to do it.

Never stopped Apple before. When the issue is obviously due to their lack of expertise or preference for aesthetics over function, people are just told "You're holding it wrong."

Back