Amazon AutoRip Extends to Vinyl

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon has extended its awesomely convenient AutoRip feature to vinyl records now too.

Amazon today announced it has extended its popular AutoRip service to vinyl records. AutoRip was introduced in January of this year to give customers free digital copies of CDs they purchase. Starting today, when customers purchase an AutoRip vinyl record, a digital copy of that music will be automatically added to their Cloud Player libraries where it will be available, free of charge, for immediate playback or download.

I don't buy Vinyl, but the autorip is awesome.

They have given me free autorips of some cd's bought years ago before the autorip program even started too. Nice!

Does it come on mp3s that slowly degrade over time and adds hiss and crackles everywhere? If not no vinyl lover will go for this. :p

They have given me free autorips of some cd's bought years ago before the autorip program even started too. Nice!

^This. They also have given me rips of CDs that I purchased as gifts for others which I do not currently own. Hello RIAA.

I purchased a dozen CDs last year and none of them were added to my library.
Kind of odd that not even 1 was an auto rip title.

I might be completely off the mark here...I'm not an audiophile... but isn't not wanting music in digital form the entire motivation for buying something on vinyl?

Does it come on mp3s that slowly degrade over time and adds hiss and crackles everywhere? If not no vinyl lover will go for this. :p

Maybe Amazon and the record companies are missing a chance to really pander to the Hipster market ... they could offer specially digitally processed versions of the mp3's for discerning listeners:

Gently Aged - minor pops and hiss
Antique - major pops and hiss with the occasional skip or needle ripping sound
Tubes - they can add in the gentle warmth of the tube receiver for the wannabe luddite who doesn't have the thousands of dollars to purchase antiquated technology

The possibilities are endless :p :cool:

I think this is a good idea in some cases. At times, I've only been able to find music i want on vinyl records that i can't find anywhere on CD's, MP3's or such, and if i can get it ripped for me, so much the better... :)
(A few old, obscure soundtracks come to mind...lol)

I might be completely off the mark here...I'm not an audiophile... but isn't not wanting music in digital form the entire motivation for buying something on vinyl?

Well, maybe, just maybe one day, you might want to listen to it when you are not sitting in front of the record player. Maybe the new iphone will have a turntable built in.

Back