OCZ Vertex 3.20 20nm 240GB SSD Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
OCZ Vertex 3.20 20nm 240GB SSD Review - OCZ releases the Vertex 3.20 240GB SSD as part of the continued restructuring of its product lines. With 20nm NAND and a LSI SandForce SF-2281 controller the Vertex 3.20 SSD is geared for budget conscious buyers, and today we test it with the other top value-oriented SSDs.

Thanks for the extra eyes, can't believe I missed that one. DOH! - Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be interested in new SSDs again when they start shipping affordable 1+Gbs. It's been a yawning fest for the past year.

Last edited:
the coming of NGFF (or M.2) form factors should be good for you then. PCIe native, with speeds in the 700MB/s range. Due with Haswell here soon.

I'll be interested in new SSDs again when they start shipping affordable 1+Gbs. It's been a yawning fest for the past year.

Did you mean affordable 1+TBs or 1+Gbps (already realized, unless GBps)?

Because NAND scaling. It doesn't just scale infinitely. Thus no 1TB's any time soon.

Because NAND scaling. It doesn't just scale infinitely. Thus no 1TB's any time soon.
Micron announced one a few months back though I haven't really heard of it since. My point is, SSDs seem to have hit a plateau a year or 2 ago and it's been an unexciting crawl since.

The increases over the last few years have been in latency, reliability, and random speed. All of these un-sexy features that actually matter.
The lack of an increase in sequential bandwidth is nothing, the operating system cannot take advantage of the speed. Not many realize it, but it is impossible for a standard OS (MS) to copy at 550MB/s from one drive to another...try getting above 300...you might be surprised :) The bottleneck is, and will remain for a long time, the OS.
Therefore, they have been focusing on things that matter.

Kyle, second paragraph of conclusion states "The presence of SSD companies htat own fabs" ;)

The increases over the last few years have been in latency, reliability, and random speed. All of these un-sexy features that actually matter.
The lack of an increase in sequential bandwidth is nothing, the operating system cannot take advantage of the speed. Not many realize it, but it is impossible for a standard OS (MS) to copy at 550MB/s from one drive to another...try getting above 300...you might be surprised :) The bottleneck is, and will remain for a long time, .
BINGO!

I've been preaching this for years but those continuous read/write speeds put stardust in peoples eyes even though they can't use it.

Just goes to show ya that most don't understand what's going on.

I've had OCZ SSDs and wouldn't take another even if you gave it to me and I'm not sure if your reference is about them but it's nice to know that someone else understands the situation. :)

Back