Robot Swarms The Servants of the Future?

You're gonna have to come up with a more likeable and marketable name than robot swarms.

Pretty much. It may be technically accurate, but not overly . . . well thought out?

They took our jobs!
tumblr_m4cioqfEyt1qfaft9o1_400.gif

At least if these robots decide to try and take over the world, we could just step on them.. We could even go all Mario style on them!

We are on the verge of some real breakthroughs in robot tech. I'm not too worried about bots taking over the world, so much that I'm more worried about the human in charge of the bots orchestrating them to take over the world. I'm investing my free time and money on robot swarm tech. Me and a colleague are utilizing our comp sci and engineering expertise to develop a system that uses bots in a swarm to accomplish a task. So far we've invested in a single quadrotor bot loaded with various sensors using the OpenPilot software to navigate the bot around the house. Our current goal is to have the quad fly over to an ice chest, open it, grab a cold beer and deliver it to the table.

If we can get it to do this successfully 30 times in a single night without our (drunken) intervention, we'll add a second quad and have them work together to accomplish the task without crashing into each other.

Some real breakthrough shit right here!

We are on the verge of some real breakthroughs in robot tech. I'm not too worried about bots taking over the world, so much that I'm more worried about the human in charge of the bots orchestrating them to take over the world.
Mom loves you.
Mom_Futurama_5298.png

Swarm theory is not new. Some interesting ideas here, but nothing i have not seen before. Insects do this in the real world. Your typical insect (say an ant) has very little neural processing capability, and a lot of it is used up in tasks like sensory input processing, and motion control. And yet, like many insects, an ant hive is capable of some pretty amazing activities considering the lack of intelligence in each unit. But together, they can do a lot.

There are serious and dangerous things that need to be addressed with any tech like this, but that goes with pretty much anything new. It could be used for both good and evil, and likely will.

For example nanomachines could theoretically be constructed to make hazardous wastes "safe" by collecting or processing them. But what happens when someone takes these nifty and helpful nanomachines and programs them such that they decide that people of a certain genetic makeup are now considered hazardous waste?

Back