Build Advice Needed for Plex and Home Automation Machine

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This machine will serve multiple purposes. Primarily, it will be running Plex to serve content to networked machines, tablets, and phones. (The content itself will be stored on an external NAS.) It will also run a desktop client for Crash Plan (cloud backup service), and possibly a client/admin tool for some Foscam cameras. Acronis True Image 2012 will be used for making regular backups of the OS drive. I will eventually use this for running a home automation client (though that selection and implementation may not happen this year).
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget is $800 for the parts alone, though that can be increased if there is a good reason. Tax and s/h are not included in the budget.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
St. Louis, Missouri.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I'm building from scratch, so.... Case (see parts section below), Mobo (mini-ITX), Power Supply, RAM, Processor, Heatsink + fan, SSD (see parts section below).
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
External optical drive (temporarily, just to install OS).
6) Will you be overclocking?
No.
7)What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I will be normally remoting into this machine for 2-D desktop interaction at 1920x1080 resolution.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next several weeks.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Required: one full-length PCIe socket, SATA 3, onboard video, Gigabit NIC, DVI and/or HDMI output for the onboard video
Nice to Haves: RAID-1 support

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes - Windows 7 (x64)

Parts that I have been considering:
- Case: Fractal Design Node 304
- SSD: Samsung 840 (120 GB) or Crucial M4 (128 GB)
- Proc: Something in the i5 series (this is open to debate)
- RAM: 8 GB is preferred, unless there's a reason to go above that.

Build Notes:
- I'd like the components nominated to be those that would work well if repurposed as a HTPC setup. For example, I want the integrated video to reasonably run Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu - preferably at 1920x1080.
- I'm willing to spend extra on quality parts that contribute to a quiet running box.
- This machine will eventually be sitting on a shelf in a wallmount rack. Ventilation in the surrounding area is not a problem.
- Choosing a power supply whose size would not interfere with a mid-range graphics card (e.g. ATI 7770) in the Node 304 case would be a bonus.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How serious is that two PCI-E requirement? If very serious, then mITX is out as mITX only has one regular non-mini PCI-E slot. Therefore the Fractal Design Node 304 is also out as an option.

How serious is that two PCI-E requirement? If very serious, then mITX is out as mITX only has one regular non-mini PCI-E slot. Therefore the Fractal Design Node 304 is also out as an option.
Good point. I was considering that at some point I would want to have a low-end graphics card and a TV tuner. However, that was mostly to support HD content playback through the discrete graphics card (ie: local video files, Hulu, Netflix, etc.). If I can get onboard video that supports HD content playback, then I can be fine with a single full-length PCIe socket.

(I will edit my original post to indicate the changes.)

Considering how versatile this system must be, the Core i5 isn't a bad choice:
$184 - Intel Core i5-3470 CPU

PSU wise, I recommend this Seasonic:
$90 - Seasonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W Modular PSU

RAM wise, you should be fine with 8GB of RAM. However just in case you may need more RAM, I would stick with a single 8GB set:
$52 - Corsair CMV8GX3M1A1333C9 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM

As for the SSD, I'd go with either the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4. Yes the Samsung 830 is available:
$90 - Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SSD

As for the motherboard and case, are you indeed aiming for 5 or more hard drives?

As for the SSD, I'd go with either the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4. Yes the Samsung 830 is available
Any reason why the 830 series was suggested instead of the 840?

As for the motherboard and case, are you indeed aiming for 5 or more hard drives?
Not really, no. The main storage is held on my NAS - I just need the machine to handle the upcoming scheduled and on-demand tasks from: Plex, syncing backups with external cloud service, and future home automation/surveillance. RAID-1 is a "nice to have" simply for the uptime; though I don't expect to use more than 2 drives. The Node 304 was considered due to size and aesthetics.

Any reason why the 830 series was suggested instead of the 840?

Multiple reviews have shown that the 830 Series SSDs outperform the 840 Series SSDs (but the 840 Pro SSDs outperform both series).

Multiple reviews have shown that the 830 Series SSDs outperform the 840 Series SSDs (but the 840 Pro SSDs outperform both series).
Ah... thanks for the clarification.

Any suggestions for the mobo and heatsink fan (versus the stock CPU cooler)?

I recommend this mobo then:
$94 - Asus P8H77-I Intel H77 mITX Motherboard

As for the HSF, you're still sticking with the Node 304 correct?

As for the HSF, you're still sticking with the Node 304 correct?
Probably, yes. If you have another suggestion for a case, then I'm interested; just keep in mind that this will be sitting on a shelf, so I don't want a case that is too tall... but can still fit a full-height expansion card.

Last edited:
Well the Node 304 does give a lot of options in regards to the HSF: It can even fit HSF meant for ATX cases. So it pretty much comes down to how much you want to spend:
$27 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
$70 - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 HSF

I don't recommend those liquid cooling kits since the included pumps are often kinda noisy.

Well the Node 304 does give a lot of options in regards to the HSF: It can even fit HSF meant for ATX cases. So it pretty much comes down to how much you want to spend
Thanks for those links. However, it looks like the fan sizes on those heatsink fans would obstruct the PCIe socket on that Asus mobo. Are there heatsink fans that you can recommend with a smaller footprint?

I don't recommend those liquid cooling kits since the included pumps are often kinda noisy.
Agreed. I wouldn't want the extra noise generated by the pump.

Thanks for those links. However, it looks like the fan sizes on those heatsink fans would obstruct the PCIe socket on that Asus mobo.
I chose those specific HSF since there were Newegg user reviews for the Fractal Design 304 showing those specific HSF being used in conjunction with a video card. Look for the Newegg user reviews for the Node 304 by Hashref and trebeck.

Look for the Newegg user reviews for the Node 304 by Hashref and trebeck.
Found those reviews. The mobo they mentioned (Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD) would accomodate the the Noctua due to the larger gap between CPU and PCIe sockets, but the P8H77-I looks like the Noctua would obstruct the PCIe socket.

Last edited:
Well I pulled the trigger (with Amazon) on the main components: mobo, proc, ram, psu, ssd, and case. The heatsink fan decision didn't need to hold up the purchase of the other components.

I was considering something like this:
$17 - Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro (Rev.2)

The last component arrived today, and I've finished assembling the machine. Overall this is a *very* quiet box, and the integrated fan speed controller is a nice bonus that I didn't see at first. I'm running memtest overnight as a first pass before starting the OS and software installs.

And, most importantly, many kudos and thanks to Danny and tiraides for their feedback and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Back