End of Life for Three Ubuntu Editions on May 9th

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Hardy Heron, Precise Pangolin and Lucid Lynx will be reaching the end of life cycle and no longer be supported after May 9th. Developers are recommending all users update to the newest version prior to the end of life date.

Future non-LTS releases will see an even shorter 9 month support life after changes were made in how Canonical and Ubuntu handle the overall development cycle.

How dare they force us to update. I don't like the new UI, and the new OS costs money, and there's no start button...

Oh wait, this is linux. Shit is free. No problem.

How dare they force us to update. I don't like the new UI, and the new OS costs money, and there's no start button...

It does have something like a start button (and a bit like that tile thing). It is at the top left. You can type in a search filter, like with Microsoft's. It should be good on a Phone too.

unity-dash-improvemenrs.png

Is this Start Menu better than the one on Windows 8?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j6iN8Re1nU0/T4fzQZmfMtI/AAAAAAAAIgg/3ZpxUd96qqM/s1600/unity-5.10.0-ubuntu12.04.png[ /IMG][/QUOTE]

It's lacking in several areas compared to the Windows 8 menu.

Ugliness - 8/10 vs 9/10
Blandness - 9/10 vs 9/10
Poor use of space - 7/10 vs 8/10
Giant assed tiles - 7/10 vs 9/10
Dated looks - 7/10 vs 9/10

Ubuntu has some work to do...

It's lacking in several areas compared to the Windows 8 menu.

Ugliness - 8/10 vs 9/10
Blandness - 9/10 vs 9/10
Poor use of space - 7/10 vs 8/10
Giant assed tiles - 7/10 vs 9/10
Dated looks - 7/10 vs 9/10

Ubuntu has some work to do...

I prefer the proper icons, even if larger, rather than the tiles.

The Side Menu pops out on the phone (same on desktop if you want):

ubuntu-phones.jpg

It's too bad so many distros are going to gnome 3 by default now, but at least with Linux we have choice. Ex: xubuntu, and so on. I just don't get the appeal of gnome 3. It's basically metro.

I have always preferred the font system on Microsoft’s.

As for the UI; it is going to be influence by mobile touch screens. However, there is nothing wrong with changing it after, for a reason, eg: for a games machine, or Home Theatre setup. The new Xbox will probably have Windows 8, with an XLive UI running over if. You can think of the UI as an application launcher. It is just a case of which UI is the best default startup one.

Um, you can always uninstall Unity and install KDE or GNOME. Or use a different distribution all together.

I have always preferred the font system on Microsoft’s.

As for the UI; it is going to be influence by mobile touch screens. However, there is nothing wrong with changing it after, for a reason, eg: for a games machine, or Home Theatre setup. The new Xbox will probably have Windows 8, with an XLive UI running over if. You can think of the UI as an application launcher. It is just a case of which UI is the best default startup one.

What do you mean by font system?

You could get Mint, or just install cinnamon on Ubuntu. Too bad that Cinnamon needs better artists.

Or install LXDE, XFCE, etc...

Plenty of options. People largely are just too lazy to search for the WM that works for them.

The volume and mixture of fonts, the inclusion of TrueType, and the WYSIWYG integration into applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueType

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG

I'm confused because GNU/Linux has all of these (although ClearType is a trademark so we call it subpixel anti-aliasing instead).

fonts.png

The summary is incorrect. Precise Pangolin has hardware and maintenance updates until April 2014, and maintenance releases until 2017. See http://www.ubuntu.com/business/desktop

Yup, Precise is still supported for another year.

Or install LXDE, XFCE, etc...

Plenty of options. People largely are just too lazy to search for the WM that works for them.

My Linux partition on my desktop PC is rocking Linux Mint 14 KDE and my netbook is using Linux Mint 14 with LXDE. It took a while but I've grown to like the KDE environment more over Cinnamon and Mate.

I'm somehow tempted to try GNOME 3.8 since that got recently released. I just have to figure out how to properly upgrade the old GNOME to 3.8 to try in another session.

It's too bad so many distros are going to gnome 3 by default now, but at least with Linux we have choice. Ex: xubuntu, and so on. I just don't get the appeal of gnome 3. It's basically metro.

It's also a huge lost opportunity, it wouldn't have taken much for them to repurpose some of the code they're using for notifications, compositing, etc. to support things like an integrated drop-down terminal and other features to make it an awesome keyboard-driven UI.

Instead they removed or hid 90% of Gnome 2 features and made almost everything that they had left as inefficient as possible.

Back