LSI SAS3081E-R 2tb+ ?

spacecakes

n00b
Hi, i just got the LSI SAS3081E-R and was wondering if there is any possible way to get drives over 2tb to work with it? I have flashed it to the latest firmware and bios but it still seems to only recognize drives over 2tb as 2047gb ?

Has nothing to do with lazy. It's an architectural limitation. Old gen SAS-1 controller.

allright i understand, any good not-to-expensive sas controller out there that can handle 2tb+ ? preferably hba

Hope to grab a used ibm m1015 on ebay and reflash it with IT firmware.

Otherwise you can buy a lsi 9211-8i

Hope to grab a used ibm m1015 on ebay and reflash it with IT firmware.

Otherwise you can buy a lsi 9211-8i

thats sounds good, is it hard to flash the IT firmware to the m1015? and will it work with a sas expander when its flashed?

Do get a M1015, but don't flash it with 9210/9211 firmware as that is not necessary whatsoever. And stop just calling it "IT" firmware without even specifying that it's IT firmware from a completely different card with a different controller chip that just happens to be mostly compatible. The 9240 doesn't have or need IT/IR modes. You just can't use it with the stock Solaris drivers. Update your drivers with any OS and just use it in stock 9240 mode (do update the 9240 firmware, though). LSI drivers can be made to work but are a pain - danmcd from Illumos provided me with his latest version of the driver which is working for me (I did have the LSI driver working before also).

SAS Expanders should be avoided in any case unless absolutely positively necessary. 2 or 3 RAID/HBA cards are better. And don't let anyone use the "but I want 200 drives in one array" argument, because you shouldn't have very many drives in an array to begin with. 8 is a very reasonable number for that.

okey so just update it to latest original firmware and it should handle 4tb drives in linux?

9240 support doesn't come "stock" with all OSes, not that sure with Linux. But yes you could resort to 9210/9211 IT firmware if the OS/distro you want to use doesn't have a new enough LSI driver available.

Back