Biological Transistor Enables Computing Within Living Cells

HardOCP News

[H] News
Cyborgs and the Terminator are one step close to being a reality. The "Transcriptor" even sound like a budget sci-fi creature sent back in time to kill everyone. :cool:

And now a team of Stanford University bioengineers has taken computing beyond mechanics and electronics into the living realm of biology. In a paper to be published March 28 in Science, the team details a biological transistor made from genetic material — DNA and RNA — in place of gears or electrons. The team calls its biological transistor the "transcriptor."

pretty soon we got cyborg bodies and live for ever and sex dolls. ;)

lol I totally got an image of some h.r. giger scene come to life

We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

biological transistor made from genetic material — DNA and RNA — in place of gears or electrons.

Looking at silicon all day long I can assure no traditional transistors are made from gears or electrons either. However I am going to go out on a branch and say that these biological ones will use electrons to function just as much as traditional circuits.

But it was probably just an over simplification used by the author.

Looking at silicon all day long I can assure no traditional transistors are made from gears or electrons either. However I am going to go out on a branch and say that these biological ones will use electrons to function just as much as traditional circuits.

But it was probably just an over simplification used by the author.

more likely a case of your avg person having no clue how things work

My penis does advanced calculations already. Problem is poor software. Hardware only gets you so far.

Ha,

Back in the early 90's I remember reading that this might be the future of computing some day, and now it's starting to get there.

The question remains.

How do you keep all these living cells in your biological computer alive? :p

"My computer just died"

Zarathustra[H];1039751655 said:
How do you keep all these living cells in your biological computer alive?
Servicing or "medic" nanobots that reconstruct or create new cells?

Back