NZXT Phantom 630 Modular Full Tower Case @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
NZXT Phantom 630 Modular Full Tower Case - NZXT's new enthusiast computer case, the Phantom 630, looks to be truly designed for the computer hardware enthusiast and does not just carry the label like so many other products. NZXT has built the chassis with the end user in mind that wants to take things up a notch and not be annoyed when trying to accomplish his build goals.

Awesome review, thank you!

Now all we need is the amazing color selection of the original Phantom.

I really like these cases, the obvious thought put into them, the layout, the internal design, the temps....but I do not like the aesthetics of the outside of the case ;p

I've always liked NZXT cases, though I can't really see paying $180 for one. Great looking case, though.

Seems like a pain to clean all the randomly placed dust filters too, however I do like the aesthetics. I was considering the PHAN-001 version when I was making my choice but if I built another I would take this one into high consideration.

"When it comes to fitting large heatsinks in the Phantom 820, we installed some of the largest coolers on the market today in this chassis without a single issue. In fact, even the gigantic Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E fit with plenty of room to spare."

That should probably say 830 instead of 920 ;) Page 4, bottom line.

Nice review guys, and a nice looking case, something that surprised me being an NZXT, I'm so used to them being garish despite their functionality.

Thanks for taking the time to review this. I've put the link on our FB. As always, no BS, straight forward talk, just how a review should be done!

A lovely review. Thank you for your work. I do, however, have a couple of comments. :)

Firstly, you might make comment that because the motherboard is not rotated (as in the Silverstone FT02, for example) all the significant heat sources are in a single column. And heat rises... This is something that's perhaps more relevant on the enthusiast side.

Secondly, I didn't see the Nofan in your array of heatsinks. If you're saying that the case can cope with large heatsinks, surely it makes sense to include the largest?

Thirdly, I would take issue with your comments on the last page about the noise level with the fans on low. They were much louder than barely audible. That said, I think you should consider adding a suitable reference sound to provide a consistent point of reference.

But really, these are very minor issues and you are to be congratulated on your work.

The info on the case states it'll accept a 3x120mm radiator, I'm assuming up top but looks like 1/3 of the radiator would have no room for a fan, and rely on whatever fan was mounted on top of the case. I would have liked to see something in the review testing this as it's important to me and I'm sure others who run custom loops.

The info on the case states it'll accept a 3x120mm radiator, I'm assuming up top but looks like 1/3 of the radiator would have no room for a fan, and rely on whatever fan was mounted on top of the case. I would have liked to see something in the review testing this as it's important to me and I'm sure others who run custom loops.

2394.jpg

You would be correct, sir. However, I will let you know that the Switch 810 and Phantom 820 have the same layout for the top radiator, and in both I've never had an issue with temps while mounting a 360 rad up top, so I wouldn't suspect it to be an issue on the 630 either.

Page 5 of the review shows you a 3x120mm radiator installed. There is more than enough room for all three fans to fit inside and/or outside the frame.

1363919528jgJY6olUjM_5_22_l.jpg

1363919528jgJY6olUjM_5_21_l.jpg

More cases need the fan hub.

Great review, very solid design ideas for the case.

Thank you all for your feedback and Kyle for the fantastic review. The future is bright for us and our chassis designs. :)

I now have this case in white, for almost $200, they really should come with thumbscrews for the expansion slots. Also, this thing has LED lights on the back which turn on every time you come out of sleep, or restart etc. These are minor issues, but still, its not a cheap case. Sexy, image below. I am also looking at the Kraken X60 for it, but I need it like I need a hole in the head.

Secondly, I didn't see the Nofan in your array of heatsinks. If you're saying that the case can cope with large heatsinks, surely it makes sense to include the largest?

The Nofan cooler is only 148mm tall, the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E is 165mm without fans installed.

If I was testing for motherboard / component clearance it would definitely be the cooler to have but, we are testing for case clearance, so there is no reason to include the Nofan as it is shorter than almost all the coolers we already test with. :)

The Nofan cooler is only 148mm tall, the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E is 165mm without fans installed.

If I was testing for motherboard / component clearance it would definitely be the cooler to have but, we are testing for case clearance, so there is no reason to include the Nofan as it is shorter than almost all the coolers we already test with. :)

Right, fair enough. Perhaps you might change the wording slightly to clarify that in future reviews?

Just came from the store where they had the 630 on sale for 150...then I saw those HD installing plastic things and was heartbroken. I will email NZXT to let them know how I feel.
Those things are so flimsy I can't believe they went with it in the engineering phase. I can look past the door because I would hardly ever use it, I can look past the 12 volt cable possibly needing an extension, I can look past the plastic for the features you get....but those flimsy plastic things have to go. There are cheaper cases with sturdier HD installation.

Also I am curious, in the 5.25 bays can you uninstall the tool less mechanism and use screws? I would only need to do this for 1 of the slot in order to install a Kingwin HD Hot Swap Bay that currently sits loosely in my p180 due to its tool less mechanism. some stuff you just have to screw in.

I just got a 630.. probably from the same $150 store. The hd plastic things work fine. They basically act as shock/noise absorbers. 2.5" drives screw into the bottom, 3.5" snap into the pegs, everything just slides in and ends up very snug.

Don't think the 5.25" are removable, but there are also holes that you can use for standard machine screws. The quick-lock thing basically is for 'full-length' (or whatever they are called) 5.25" devices. If you have something half-length, you use the screws. My card reader isn't long enough to take advantage of the quick-lock thing but it screws in fine. I've got a BR, removable sata and card reader - all very snug.

I'll post a pic or 2 soon.

Love this case. Finally found the case I was looking for. Went through an Antec, Fractal Design, a Lian Li and a short lived experiment in a Chieftec ATX all-in-one to finally find 'the one'.

Love this case!

Configured as: 2*140 front intake, 2*120 push/pull kuhler (first foray into liquid.. love this thing too), 2*200 top exhaust, 1*200 side

10238_10151655903919456_358720047_n.jpg

Back