Educators Across the US Adopt Windows 8

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. today announced that 10 K–12 school districts and higher-education institutions have signed on to use Windows 8 for more than 540,000 students and faculty to prepare students for futures in college and careers. Microsoft’s expanding community of Windows 8 education adopters now includes Apollo Group, Atlanta Public Schools, Barry University, Fargo Public Schools, Fresno Unified School District, Jackson-Madison County School System, Pace University, San Antonio Independent School District, Thomas College and Tuckahoe Common School District.

In before, Duh, students being dumber, duh, or, they are just buying the licenses but will probably install Windows 7 anyways. :rolleyes: Well, I say, good for them, whatever works. Perhaps they will be setting up the computers with local apps through a server if possible.

It is a bad sign when you are Microsoft and it is news that *10* school districts...out of 16,025 nationwide...are adopting your code.

Oh, and yet it would be great news if this were Linux according to some folks. :D Trolling did not take long at all, I am not disappoint.... :D Nothing there says that other schools are not or do not have plans too. (Only they now though.)

Oh, and yet it would be great news if this were Linux according to some folks. :D Trolling did not take long at all, I am not disappoint.... :D Nothing there says that other schools are not or do not have plans too. (Only they now though.)

Who said I was trolling? It was a simple statement of fact.

It is a bad state of affairs when you're the dominant player in the market...and your press dept feels it is a good idea or necessary to tout that 10 out of 16,000 school districts are adopting your product...regardless of whether more districts are adopting or not. The fact that Microsoft feels this is newsworthy, and desirable to make newsworthy speaks volumes about what Microsoft thinks that IT consumers think.

It is a bad state of affairs when you're the dominant player in the market...and your press dept feels it is a good idea or necessary to tout that 10 out of 16,000 school districts are adopting your product...regardless of whether more districts are adopting or not. The fact that Microsoft feels this is newsworthy, and desirable to make newsworthy speaks volumes about what Microsoft thinks that IT consumers think.

I personally find those as selective facts, meaning that it is not the entire story. The rest is just your opinion and as such is not a fact. (Opinions are fine and you might be right but it is still not fact, just an opinion.

Well Apple pretty much have dominance in schools, so Microsoft won't be making much inroad there anyways.

Not to mention Microsoft licenses are quite expensive and public schools are hurting for cash at the moment.

Microsoft should just admit that Windows 8 is Vista 2.0 and bring us Windows 9 with the Desktop/Start Button restored.
The Metro Screen can go to the dumps for all I care. And before someone jumps in and says it's fine get used to it, let me ask you this, what functionality does it add that I absolutely need that is an improvement over the start button as it stands now. What can I possibly do better with Metro. Why do I need a new way of launching applications and treating the desktop computer as a Cellphone/Tablet that runs applications one at a time.
And I can tell you I needed none of that extra layer crap which is what Microsoft has put in the OS. It's a Gimmick I can live without. And I will tell other people to avoid Windows 8 and continue to do so.

Microsoft should just admit that Windows 8 is Vista 2.0 and bring us Windows 9 with the Desktop/Start Button restored.
The Metro Screen can go to the dumps for all I care. And before someone jumps in and says it's fine get used to it, let me ask you this, what functionality does it add that I absolutely need that is an improvement over the start button as it stands now. What can I possibly do better with Metro. Why do I need a new way of launching applications and treating the desktop computer as a Cellphone/Tablet that runs applications one at a time.
And I can tell you I needed none of that extra layer crap which is what Microsoft has put in the OS. It's a Gimmick I can live without. And I will tell other people to avoid Windows 8 and continue to do so.

Dude, don't start. This is about schools getting Windows 8. We have enough threads that covers your questions.

Strange, I would assume schools have software, W7 by now. If it costs them, unless they use W8 tablets or laptops seems an odd purchase.
And older in my limited experience some older laptops are not supporting all drivers for W8 (HP CQ60)

Several districts talked about doing it on a 1:1 platform. Schools are not funded in a way that would allow them to continue to provide 1:1 computing indefinitely. They are able to do a short-term solution by filing a bond, but typically have no replacement strategy in place. It's quiet sad. Most of the time these initiatives are driven by a Superintendent looking for another "Look what I did" for their resume.

Trolling did not take long at all, I am not disappoint....
Someone posts an actual number, and somehow that is trolling when you are the one who just posted this...
In before, Duh, students being dumber, duh, or, they are just buying the licenses but will probably install Windows 7 anyways. :rolleyes: Well, I say, good for them, whatever works. Perhaps they will be setting up the computers with local apps through a server if possible.
:eek: Oh the hypocrisy, it hurts my poor little brain. :rolleyes:

I agree that this is hardly newsworthy. They say 540k students and faculty will have access to Windows 8, even if it were only 540k students that's less than a percent and since it's faculty AND students I'm guessing it's probably in the realm of 0.25-0.5%.

Might other school districts be looking in to it? Probably. Might some of those W8 installs simply be because new computers and tablets were bought with W8? Probably. Might some of those W8 installs be dual boots? Probably. Might some of those W8 installs be wiped and replaced with existing XP/W7 images? Probably.

We don't have all that information, all we have is a lackluster article that is hardly newsworthy. "Hey look everyone, we are a monopoly in the OS market and we successfully made inroads in to less than half a percent of the education field!"

I know at my college when W7 came out it was installed on a handful of computers almost immediately. Certainly not "all" computers and most were still XP and many probably still are XP, but there were several dual boot computers in the labs and libraries. It was also freely available to students to download and personal use. So MS could have claimed "wow, 80000 students and faculty are using W7!" with just a single university adopting it on a few machines in a few labs and libraries, so sorry if I'm not impressed by MS's need to announce that they have gotten a foot in at a few schools with W8. Even Linux would have a bigger presence in schools than that.

Someone posts an actual number, and somehow that is trolling when you are the one who just posted this...
:eek: Oh the hypocrisy, it hurts my poor little brain. :rolleyes:

I agree that this is hardly newsworthy. They say 540k students and faculty will have access to Windows 8, even if it were only 540k students that's less than a percent and since it's faculty AND students I'm guessing it's probably in the realm of 0.25-0.5%.

Might other school districts be looking in to it? Probably. Might some of those W8 installs simply be because new computers and tablets were bought with W8? Probably. Might some of those W8 installs be dual boots? Probably. Might some of those W8 installs be wiped and replaced with existing XP/W7 images? Probably.

We don't have all that information, all we have is a lackluster article that is hardly newsworthy. "Hey look everyone, we are a monopoly in the OS market and we successfully made inroads in to less than half a percent of the education field!"

I know at my college when W7 came out it was installed on a handful of computers almost immediately. Certainly not "all" computers and most were still XP and many probably still are XP, but there were several dual boot computers in the labs and libraries. It was also freely available to students to download and personal use. So MS could have claimed "wow, 80000 students and faculty are using W7!" with just a single university adopting it on a few machines in a few labs and libraries, so sorry if I'm not impressed by MS's need to announce that they have gotten a foot in at a few schools with W8. Even Linux would have a bigger presence in schools than that.

Hypocrisy is only there if I claimed that I did not in anyway at least partially troll. (Partially since I also posted on the topic as well.) Go learn the proper definition of that word and then get back to me.

The Hate 8 is strong with this one. :D I am sorry but I cannot take it seriously anymore since most of you guys only want to bash Windows 8. Windows 8 is working fine and definitely could use some improvement but, the start menu is gone and will probably not be coming back. (No, it is not the year of Linux for the desktop and the Mac will never have the market share that Windows has.)

It is good to see that schools are adopting a new standard and moving forward.

How many of those are on Tablets? It belongs on Tablets. It belongs no where near a Desktop.

I think iPad is beating Microsoft in the kid/junior Education sector. Pretty sad state of affairs when a company has to spin something as horrible as this as if it was a major victory.

How many of those are on Tablets? It belongs on Tablets. It belongs no where near a Desktop.

I do not agree with it not belonging on a Desktop. However, on your own personal computers, you can put whatever you want on it. I am using it on all my machines with great success and find it even better than Windows 7. (Could still use some improvements though.)

The good thing is we have choice when it comes to what we place on our computers. Windows 7 is still readily available for those that want it.

Several districts talked about doing it on a 1:1 platform. Schools are not funded in a way that would allow them to continue to provide 1:1 computing indefinitely. They are able to do a short-term solution by filing a bond, but typically have no replacement strategy in place. It's quiet sad. Most of the time these initiatives are driven by a Superintendent looking for another "Look what I did" for their resume.

Probably coupled with somebody attempting to give them money.

Microsoft has had a habit of spending millions upon millions (maybe even a billion or 2) on these "bad" ideas of theirs in an attempt to get people to use their technology. Either directly Joint Venturing or subsidizing through free training/mentoring

I do not agree with it not belonging on a Desktop. However, on your own personal computers, you can put whatever you want on it. I am using it on all my machines with great success and find it even better than Windows 7. (Could still use some improvements though.)

The good thing is we have choice when it comes to what we place on our computers. Windows 7 is still readily available for those that want it.

Unless your computer came with Windows 8 and Secure Boot.
In which case depending upon who made it (Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung) you may end up a) not being able to install a different OS period or b) brick your hardware (thanks Samsung).

Must we do this again? :(

I personally find those as selective facts, meaning that it is not the entire story.

I personally find it 'selective facts and not the whole story' every time MS press releases that some organization is 'adopting Windows 8' when in reality all that's happened is a renewal of their existing Enterprise License Agreement which grants them access to MS's entire catalog by default, including Win8. Case in point the press release about the DoD renewing their ELA was spun similarly "The Department of Defense is buying Windows 8 and Office 2013 whoo hoo!" so understand the skepticism theyve created.

The fact is if Win8 wasn't in trouble - especially in Enterprise - we wouldnt be having this conversation and desperation tactics and doublespeak on MS's part wouldn't be required.

Hypocrisy is only there if I claimed that I did not in anyway at least partially troll. (Partially since I also posted on the topic as well.) Go learn the proper definition of that word and then get back to me.
My apologies, if you are a self confessed troll then you aren't hypocritical at all, you're just a troll. :rolleyes:

The Hate 8 is strong with this one. :D I am sorry but I cannot take it seriously anymore since most of you guys only want to bash Windows 8. Windows 8 is working fine and definitely could use some improvement but, the start menu is gone and will probably not be coming back. (No, it is not the year of Linux for the desktop and the Mac will never have the market share that Windows has.)
All I can say is "wtf? Go away troll" None of my post is hating on W8 at all and you haven't addressed my post at all (other than the hypocrite comment). I'm just seeing a bullshit article and calling it out as being a bullshit article. Woohoo, a fraction of a percent of educators have bought W8 and/or W8 machines... the new OS from the dominant OS supplier... are we supposed to be impressed?

W8 hater or not, it is neither impressive nor newsworthy.

My apologies, if you are a self confessed troll then you aren't hypocritical at all, you're just a troll. :rolleyes:

All I can say is "wtf? Go away troll" None of my post is hating on W8 at all and you haven't addressed my post at all (other than the hypocrite comment). I'm just seeing a bullshit article and calling it out as being a bullshit article. Woohoo, a fraction of a percent of educators have bought W8 and/or W8 machines... the new OS from the dominant OS supplier... are we supposed to be impressed?

W8 hater or not, it is neither impressive nor newsworthy.

Sorry, no going away here at all. Whenever I or someone with a positive outlook on Windows 8 would post, a majority of the posts after that would be derogatory against that person.

I am pleased to see that Microsoft is making strides in the education sector with Windows 8. We do not however know how much more inroads they have made since we do not have that information. (Or not.)

The Microsoft press release doesn't seem to have a specific total number, it mentions 3000 students Dell Latitudes in Fargo ND and access to Windows 8 tablets in several other places in the tens of thousands range.

Lol :D I figure get upset at all the bashing or just have a little respectful fun. This is about Microsoft and Windows 8 after all.

It must be a gender-induced thing to have a terminally silly, endless argument over a polarized, but ultimately pointless aspect of computer technology.

Well Apple pretty much have dominance in schools, so Microsoft won't be making much inroad there anyways.

Not to mention Microsoft licenses are quite expensive and public schools are hurting for cash at the moment.

But apples are super cheap?

I can tell you for a fact that the school system i work for will not be upgrading to windows 8. Teachers fear change and for the most part are computer illiterate.

It must be a gender-induced thing to have a terminally silly, endless argument over a polarized, but ultimately pointless aspect of computer technology.

Well, if you are saying it has something to do with being a man, ok. :D No arguing here, just messing around.

Someone stopping you from using the non-gimmick windows "awesome" 7?
Stop whining like a baby.

In a world full of change and ever increasing dependence on computers this is problematic.

It's completely normal for a person to have no understanding of something they use on a daily basis. Not everyone understands how a microwave oven works and they don't need to because it's totally unimportant in the same way understanding computers, software, and operating systems is pointless. In that same vein, not even the technical people know everything about everything. Some of us are storage engineers, some of us work exclusively on networking components and others manage databases without much overlap or in-depth understanding. Do mechanics lament that everyone doesn't understand their cars when they bill their customers?

I think the huge tiles with a single huge icon and little to no data was a major clue who Windows 8/Metro was targeted at. The same audience you give Duplex Legos to.

WOW! Such a compelling argument, I guess you just won me over. :D Not! You must have said something very similar when Windows XP came out as well, eh? Well, enjoy using your computer any way you want and I will do the same. :)

Amazingly enough, My machine is working great getting real work done with Windows 8. Oh well, guess I just do not understand. :D

Back